Disabilities Act lawsuit abuse divides activists

May 10, 2012 - By admin

May 10, 2012

By Katy Grimes

Lawsuit abuse is a growing problem in California, but none is more prevalent than disability access lawsuits and the financial damage they cause to California businesses.

Several state lawmakers are trying to address the lawsuit abuse with new legislation, but this has raised the ire of disability activists.

A very long and arduous hearing was held this week in the Senate Judiciary Committee, in which many disability activists found themselves on opposite sides of a new bill.

Using the legal system for personal gain

In recent years, some California disability activists have abused the ADA by filing thousands of frivolous lawsuits against small and large business in a shakedown for money, rather than encouraging businesses to provide better access to the disabled.

Because there are more than 2,400 provisions in California alone pertaining to disability access in businesses and public areas, no one seems to actually know what the legal standards are, other than some of the more obvious wheelchair requirements. This has allowed many mean-spirited activists to take advantage of the deep, and not-so-deep pockets of businesses.

ADA lawsuit abuse bill

Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, and Sen. Bob Dutton, R-Rancho Cucamonga, co-authored SB 1186 in an effort to assist California businesses in the complex compliance issues with the requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act, without facing the threat of a lawsuit.

SB 1186 was originally authored only by Dutton. It addressed businesses “right to cure” before a lawsuit could go forward, meaning the business owner could fix the problem before legal action was gaken.

But Steinberg said that he knew the bill would be killed, so he jumped in to co-author SB 1186. The bill was modified to appease disability advocates, who feared changes to the provisions would seriously weaken rights under the State’s Unruh Civil Rights Act for people with disabilities.

Amendments already taken in SB 1186 propose to prohibit anyone, including persons with disabilities and their lawyers, from sending a “demand for money” letter to a business. SB 1186 would also require that any attorney intending to file a federal or state ADA claim for damages must send the business a notice of the alleged violations 30 days prior to being able to file any lawsuit for damages.

Activists divided

The largest hearing room at the Capitol was filled to capacity on Tuesday with members of the disabled community, small business representatives and business associations. “We live in fear,” said one small business owner who owns a Bed and Breakfast Inn. “Small businesses are disabled by disability predators.”

While some disability activists openly discounted the concerns of businesses, others said that the legal process was in the way of the ultimate goal. “We don’t need more lawsuits. We need more access,” explained a woman confined to a wheelchair.

But there was a group of disability activists at the hearing who openly expressed their anger about the bill.

“I want it all—I am like everyone else,” said one activist confined to a wheelchair. “This is not a poor small business problem.” The woman said that she is currently looking for a state job and as she visits different state agencies, the lack of wheelchair access makes it very difficult for her.

From the back of the hearing room, two wheelchair-bound women complained loudly about not being able to easily access the hearing room dais in order to testify. When a sergeant offered to bring them a cordless microphone, they only spoke louder and nastier to those standing near the aisles, as they shoved their way toward the front of the room.

People stepped aside to make room for both of them to pass, but those gestures were only met with more scorn. “Get out of my way,” said Ruthee Goldkorn, a well known wheelchair-bound disability rights activist, who has been the plaintiff in many disability access lawsuits throughout California.

Goldkorn is the vice president of the Californians for Disability Rights Foundation. When a woman jumped up to move a very large wheelchair-bound man from the aisle, Goldkorn yelled several times, “He’s not in the way.” She navigated around him, and then aimed her wheelchair right at someone pressed up against the wall, who was trying to make room for her to pass.

What’s so interesting is that audience members at this hearing were not policed or made to sit in the auditorium seats, as they were in a recent hearing in the same room on another matter not related to disabilitiesw. At that hearing on April 17, hundreds of people also appeared to testify in opposition to a controversial mandatory vaccination bill, but were aggressively forced to sit, or made to leave the room. This was not the case with the ADA bill this week.

“It would be nice if the Capitol actually had wheelchair access,” Linda Hinchey yelled to no one in particular. Hinchey, sitting with Goldkorn, is the vice president of the Californians for Disability Rights.

But the room has very wide aisles, and public testimony is often given from a microphone on the floor near the audience.

Goldkorn used some salty language and called a couple of women nasty names, when they tried to offer her assistance.

Perhaps it is tiresome and offensive constantly being offered assistance from well-meaning people, but Goldkorn was just churlish and rude.

When she testified, Goldkorn mocked business owners’ confusion over the ADA laws, and said that businesses had no right to claim they weren’t aware of the laws, which have been around for several decades.

In a recent story about the earlier version of Dutton’s bill, Goldkorn asked, “Why do I have to tell them? It’s a huge problem if people are so stupid that they don’t know they need a blue parking space.”

Goldkorn testified that access for the disabled is a civil rights issue and should not take a backseat behind what’s best for small businesses. “I am opposed to the current version of the bill,” Goldkorn said. “I want a place at the table with every disability represented.”

Goldkorn explained to the committee that inches matter differently to each type of disability. And then she warned, “We can put people out of business.”

Perhaps the most compelling testimony came from Peter Mendoza, who has cerebral palsy and also uses a wheelchair. Mendoza is well known for his long history of advocacy for the rights of people with disabilities, but said he could not support SB 1186 yet because more input from the disabled was needed.

Mendoza said that attention should be refocused on city and county building departments, which have been approving faulty building plans since 1982, when California’s ADA law was passed. “Until building department officials enforce access, we will have problems with disability access,” Mendoza said.

“We have many experts that can help you, with sound ideas,” Mendoza offered to Steinberg and Dutton.

Americans With Disabilites Act

Since its passage by Congress in 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act has addressed the unique needs of individuals with disabilities and medical conditions. The ADA guarantees free access to roadways, sidewalks, buildings and facilities which are open to the public, along with hospitals and medical facilities, and housing.

Ironically, many government buildings are also in violation of the federal and state ADA laws. However, in order for a lawsuit to be filed against a government agency or entity, a pattern of negligence must first be shown.

Ending lawsuit Abuse

Steinberg said that he and Dutton felt it was necessary to get the bill moving, knowing that this would likely be a year-long process. “There is no danger of this being jammed quickly through the process,” Steinberg assured the audience.

“People don’t know that there are 2,400 items to comply with,” added Dutton. “Nobody knows what to do.”

Federal ADA law changes are expected to go into effect in 2013, which will put some of California’s ADA laws in direct conflict. That’s another reason why so many ADA lawsuit reform bills are currently in the Legislature.

While disabled activists say that the courts are the only option available to them, others say that litigation is not leading to better access.

Steinberg agreed. “We need to find some way where somebody is not denied access, but a building code is not violated,” he said.

It is anticipated that SB 1186 will be amended as it progresses in the Legislature, as all parties impacted have a chance to provide input.

Supporters of SB 1186 include the Independent Grocers Association, the California Restaurant Owners Association, the California Business Properties Association, the Building Owners and Managers Association of California, NAIOP of California, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association International Council of Shopping Centers the California Hospital Association and the National Federation of Independent Business.

“Amenities are being removed instead of being fixed,” one business representative testified at the hearing.

Opposition comes from the California Foundation for Independent Living Centers, Disability Rights California and the Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund.

“Sen. Steinberg and I have had some very extensive talks about this issue of predatory lawsuits, which are being filed under the ADA,” Dutton said. “Both of us agree that this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. I’m hopeful we’ll be able to finally fix this problem that has plagued thousands of small businesses throughout California, while at the same time protect the rights of the disabled community.”

Other bills introduced to address the frivolous lawsuits and legal abuse:

AB 2325 (Norby): Special access: liability.

SB 1163 (Walters): Special access: liability.

AB 1610 (Wagner): Special access: liability.

AB 1878 (Beth Gaines): Disability access: liability.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments(51)
  1. Rex The Wonder Dog! says:

This is in response to the Theodore Pinnocks of CA, a notorious ADA lawsuit absuser who was recently disbarred over this issue.

This is also similar too what the Trevor Law Group in LA was doing with a Business and Professions code a few years back (before the B&P was amended).

2. CalWatchdog says:

Unfortunately, there are many predatory lawyers in the ADA arena. Some of the worst are hiding behind their disabilities, confident that most people won’t confront them.

Katy

3. Beelzebub says:

At the next town over I was at a friend’s place having a cup of coffee. We heard a God awful jackhammer outside and looked out the window. A city worker was tearing up the street corner. At first we didn’t know what the hell he was doing. Out of curiousity we both walked outside. My friend asked “What the heck are you guys doing”? He said “Installing rubber mats”. I asked “What for?” He said the city was doing it to comply with ADA laws. That way wheel chair riders could get more traction when crossing the street. My buddy said he hasn’t seen a wheel chair come down the sidewalk in the 25 years that he lived there. We went back inside and he called public works to find out how much it cost. The manager said each mat and installation cost about $1000 and that every street corner in the city would get one. But he said not to worry because the Federal government was paying for it!!! :D

We talked about it for awhile and came to the conclusion that the city manager had a friend in the contracting business and gave him some work on the Fed’s dime. ;)

4. Bob says:

““Get out of my way,” said Ruthee Goldkorn…”

———————————-> You misspelled Gold Digger. HTH.

5. queeg says:

Being disabled is difficult in getting around in the stores, office buildings, parking lots and sidewalks.

Your day will come….broken foot whatever…so be tolerant and actively help a disabled person…you’ll feel better about yourself too!!!

6. Beelzebub says:

I confess that I use the ADA public toilets all the time if I have to go while out shopping or working out at the gym. I like the extra room and the toilets seem to flush better for some reason. If you have a problem with that send the ADA police out to my house. I will sign a confession.

7. Capitalist Pig says:

I’ve been sued by these predatory maggots. It has very little to do with access. For god’s sake, many of these plaintiffs don’t even go into the businesses in question, they send in their full able lackeys to do their dirty work.

8. Hondo says:

There really isn’t any negotiating with these disability terrorists. But what happens when they shut down all the businesses and there is no one left to sue. Or anyone left to serve them.
    These professional disabled are doubling down on there bad luck of being disabled. They have become truly unpleasant people that no one likes or wants to be around. They are doubling down on their unhappiness by making everyone around them hate them.
    I have become a mirror. They hate me and I hate them right back.
    Hondo…

9. Thomas says:

I am an attorney defending these cases. For the most part, it is all fraud. The law firms recruit disabled drug addicts, who never even go the business they later complain about and sue. In one case the disabled plaintiff has filed more than 50 cases in a year, sometimes as many as three a day. The law firms take the money and could care less about fixing anything.

• Attorney Mark Peters says:

Hi Thomas,
      I am an attorney also, looking to help someone with just one handicapped spot and she had 6 feet crosshatched in blue instead of 8 feet. And they want $10,000! She just adjusted it to the 8 feet but they sued her in May and trial is next Oct.
      Can you direct me to some sources for assistance or drop me a line?
      Many thanks!
      Mark

10. Beelzebub says:

Most everybody uses their disability (whether real or feigned) for personal gain in America. Instead of working hard to overcome their challenge America has conditioned them to stick their paw out and say “gimme, gimme…”. We have a nation of VICTIMS. Helpless little victims that run to Uncle Sugar for access to stolen funds. They are truly killing Mrs. Goose who lays the golden eggs. I hope I live long enough to see it all collapse.

11. Beelzebub says:

“I am an attorney defending these cases. For the most part, it is all fraud”

And the court and the lawmakers are all complicit, Thomas. You know that. They’ve turned it into a billion dollar business. You make money off of it even though you are one of the ‘good guys’, right???

The system is dirty and rotten to the core, Thomas. All of you lawyers know that. And you profit from it.

12. econprof says:

I once built a restaurant with an outside seating area, fenced in with a steel fence close to the sidewalk, which was a generous 12 feet wide. The sidewalk had a tree inside a cutout of the sidewalk concrete. Naturally I wanted the largest possible seating area, while still allowing for pedestrian traffic. But I had to have a walking area between my steel railing and the tree concrete cutout. I proposed a 4′ space (btw, there was also plenty of walking space between the tree cutout and the curb.) That would have allowed plenty of space for pedestrians and wheelchairs. But the zoning/code compliance officer required 8′, not 4′. Why, I asked. Because two wheelchairs could not pass each other. I kid you not.

13. PJ says:

Who do we sue for spraining our ankles on the yellow metal bubbles that protect that 2.3 blind people who refuse to use GPS?

14. Beelzebub says:

The handicapped parking requirements shows how lopsided the power has become on the side of the ‘victims’. The fine for illegally parking in a handicapped parking space is $1000 or more. heh. Whenever I go to the store there is a whole line of handicapped designated spots. Yet everytime I go there less than half are occupied while I struggle to find a place for myself. heh. Once I sat in my car and watched those who parked in the handicapped zone. All looked as healthy or healthier than I am. No wheel chairs or crutches. All of them walked perfectly fine. It’s a complete farce. Like everything else in America is a farce. It’s a game for those who can scam the system. We have way too many victims in America. It is a sickness in all prosperous societies. What we really need is an economic collapse to bring us all back to our senses. If I owned a business and one of these turds walked into my shop and chastised me because my toilet was 2″ too high or that the mirror on the wall was 2″ too high I would feel like decking him.

15. Ted Steele, Associate Prof. says:

I agree with ya Quegg– These guys have no idea how difficult it can be for folks with challenges. These lawsuits are great– the current court system throws out many of the abusive ones and limits damages— but you will never se that in the lame stream media (apologies to teabagger Palin.)

16. Beelzebub says:

“I agree with ya Quegg– These guys have no idea how difficult it can be for folks with challenges”

Are you speaking from experience?

17. Ted Steele, Associate Prof. says:

Why yes, I am. I can only speak from experience, is there any other way?

18. Beelzebub says:

“Why yes, I am. I can only speak from experience, is there any other way?”

Once again, my instincts were correct. That’s for your validation. ;)

19. Ted Steele, Associate Prof. says:

What’s your point? Or do you have one? LOL I know you make racist remarks, is there some remark you want to make explaining your thoughts about my experience? Perhaps disability related? Or are you just dancing around the edges as usual? You can come up here to the adults’ table it you’d like.

20. Beelzebub says:

“What’s your point?”

When I see a feathery animal that waddles and quacks no explanation is necessary. Calling it a ‘duck’ will more than suffice.

“I know you make racist remarks, is there some remark you want to make explaining your thoughts about my experience?”

If I made ‘racist remarks’ then you are OBL’s former butt boy. There, how’d that feel??? :D

21. Ted Steele, Associate Prof. says:

I know what you’ve just posted must be insulting to me in some way because that’s more or less what you always try to do out here– personal and insulting, but it is so juvenile and vulgar I frankly don’t get it. Did you want to make further comments about what you started, my disability? Or do you like to shut down when called out on it as usual?

22. Beelzebub says:

You are the one who said that you have a disability. Not me. Why make us guess? Why don’t you tell us what your disability is? Otherwise just shut up about it. And be very careful with falsely implying that I am a racist too.

23. Ted Steele, Associate Prof. says:

You wrote-“You are the one who said that you have a disability.”

No I did not say I had a disability. I wrote- “I agree with ya Quegg– These guys have no idea how difficult it can be for folks with challenges.”

With your limited reading comprehension or you post-in-a-tantrum-every 3 minutes style you interpreted that and my experience as my revelation to you regarding a disability I may or may not have. If I did have one why would you want to know what it is? To make light of it? Is this similar to your pimp attack on the President or just more hate speech?

Your hostile, racist, disability baiting anger style might be better applied to bullying in a schoolyard. Of course you’ll need to do more intellectual push-ups to bully well out here.

Ted

24. Beelzebub says:

No, this is what you said, Teddy Steal, when you responded to Queeg”

Then I asked you:

“Are you speaking from experience?”

And you responded:

“Why yes, I am. I can only speak from experience, is there any other way?”

and then you state:

“……my experience as my revelation to you regarding a disability I may or may not have”

Spin that, buddy. You are basing your opinion based on personal experience. Either tell us what that is or just shut up about it. Stop making claims that you refuse to substantiate.

“Your hostile, racist, disability baiting anger style might be better applied to bullying in a schoolyard”

As I told you – be very careful when you state that I am a ‘racist’. This is your LAST warning.

25. Ted Steele says:

How you can take from that string above that I have said I have a disability is just beyond me.

I am speaking from experience, yes. Is it that I am attorney practicing disability cases as the article discusses? Or that my wife is disabled? Or that as a human I have experienced life and make my comments from that pov, well …who knows. I have not commented on that.

as e e cummings once famously said…. you are going to get athletes mouth from jumping on and off bandwagons.

Why do you need to know?

How does this further the shallow conversation we are almost having?

26. Beelzebub says:

“I am speaking from experience, yes. Is it that I am attorney practicing disability cases as the article discusses? Or that my wife is disabled? Or that as a human I have experienced life and make my comments from that pov, well …who knows. I have not commented on that”

Then explain yourself. Don’t make a comment that allegedly substantiates your opinion and then not have courage to tell us what that experience is. If I am talking with someone about cancer – and that person tells me that they know about it from personal experience – I am going to assume that they have or had cancer until they tell me differently. That is how rational people think. I know that all people aren’t rational though. Many make statements that they refuse to back up later. And in a debate I would refer to that as ‘cowardly’.

27. Ted Steele says:

Beezybob— I have made the comments about experience that I have made and am satisfied with that.YOU are possibly the last person on the planet I would share a personal reflection with. If that sounds harsh– you have earned it.

28. Beelzebub says:

“Beezybob— I have made the comments about experience that I have made and am satisfied with that.YOU are possibly the last person on the planet I would share a personal reflection with. If that sounds harsh– you have earned it”

You are not just commenting to me – you are commenting to everyone who reads your garbage. If you are going to predicate your opinion on personal experience – then either tell us what that personal experience is – or shut up and don’t say it in the first place. By arguing your point in such a fashion you lose credibility with all rational spectators who read your junk. People laugh at you and compare you with a clown. As much as I find most of your opinions abhorrent – I am trying to help improve your skills so that you evolve into a serious contributor on this board rather than a community jester. Wise up.

29. Ted Steele says:

People laugh at me?

30. Beelzebub says:

“People laugh at me?”

You bet. I read your posts to wifey and friends and all of them laugh at you. Others on this board laugh at you. Some ridicule you. Wake up.

31. Ted Steele says:

What does your wife say about me?

32. Beelzebub says:

She just smiles and lets out an occasional laugh.

Are you married??? What does your wife say about you??? That’s what I want to know. :)

33. Ted Steele says:

Your wife smiles when she thinks about me?

34. Beelzebub says:

Yes. She has a wonderful sense of humor. :D

35. Ted Steele says:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    nice

36. Beelzebub says:

Since you didn’t answer my question as to whether you are married I will have to guess. :D

There, I just guessed. :D

And the basis for my guess is hilarious, btw! :D

37. Rex The Wonder Dog! says:

LOL…Teddy Steals is getting destroyed by Beelz :)

38. Rex The Wonder Dog! says:

Beelz, see the problem here is you think and post RATIONAL comments, Teddy will never do that. Teddy is a hardcore trough feeder, and does not udnerstand real world work or mentality, don’t even try to expain it to him, it is easier on you to just ram your head into a brick wall ;)

39. Beelzebub says:

“Teddy is a hardcore trough feeder, and does not udnerstand real world work or mentality, don’t even try to expain it to him, it is easier on you to just ram your head into a brick wall”

Now he has me wondering whether he has a government work related disability of some sort? After saying he knew about about the subject matter from his own experience he would not confirm or deny. Why the hesitation? I guess we’re left guessing, rex. Oh well.

40. Ted Steele says:

LOL that’s a riot—– I live in your head boys—— been camped out there with beezyboob and poodle boi so long I need to pay some rent! Oh my this is easy…

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Hey fellas—– why don’t we turn this board back over to the normal people? People must be tired of reading our drivel? Ok??

41. Beelzebub says:

Stuck on stupid.

42. Ted Steele says:

guess not, sorry CWD.

43. Darrik says:

…waiting for the posting to resume…Beelzebub…Ted…where oh where have my posters gone…where oh could they be..!!??

44. Orville says:

I’m against lawsuit abuse in any form. While the disabled are provided with a legal sledgehammer that can be used to hammer money out of otherwise good people, the fact remains that the LAW says what it says, it’s been around a long time and still businesses refuse to come into compliance. The disabled have the right to free access, so give it to them. Anyone with a commercial interest in the disabled dollar should make a special effort. I have first hand experience with the attitude of neglect and uncaring in California business (and government) when it comes to investing in these requirements. They just don’t care; that is, until the law suit hits. The reality is that a disabled person is no less a citizen. If you trip and fall on the way into WalMart, then you’re going to go for the gold -admit it, the disabled have been quite patient in waiting for the commercial interests to come around and do the right thing.

45. Rhodesian says:

here is what will happen if you do what they expect:

you will go to a lawyer ( or you may have gotten a letter from some law firm about the same time you were served offering to represent you)

you hire a lawyer ( usually $2000+ retainer fee)

they sympathize with you about how wrong the situation is, contact the ada lawyer, tell you even thought its totally wrong, the law is so poorly written you don’t have a chance,

if you take it to court ( they will tell you) you will loose thousands in legal fees and have to pay anyway.

they convince you to settle for a lesser sum.

you pay, and hope you are done with it.

what really happens.

the lawyers all know each other, work you for all they can ( both sides)

all they really do is type up some papers * usually substuting the names and info in a pre-done format.

and the scam goes on.

if you choose to represent your self, chances the ada lawyer will try and weasle a few bux out of you not to take it that far.

46. Tsao Jason says:

Please help someone who have similar case like mine. I received Summons ( citacion Judicia)John He Plaintiff sueing my company under ADA have no facility of handicapped parking space. Summon was served to my residence on May 17 2017. What do I do to? please help.

47. Limit-Less Campaign says:

Please follow the guidelines of the Associated Press Stylebook
    and use the phrase “wheelchair user” when referring to someone who uses a wheelchair as opposed to either “wheelchair-bound” or “confined to a wheelchair”.

Thank you for your consideration.

The Limit-Less Campaign

48. Wheelchair Mafia says:

What does “ADA compliance” really mean? The ADA is so powerful that they can change the “compliance” at the drop of a hat at any time so that some business or city that was in “compliance” at one point will suddenly no longer be in “compliance”. A perfect example is the new Yellow Mats for sidewalk handicap ramps. At one point, all the old ramps were in “compliance”. Now, they no longer are. The ramps were also found to be too steep (odd since I can’t remember the last time I saw someone in a manual non-electric wheelchair). So now all old “compliant” ramps have to be replaced with new “compliant” ramps. In San Francisco these new mats take up about 12 square feet yet to instal them a minimum of 100 square feet of sidewalk, curb, gutter, and road must be jackhammered up. Today I saw an area of at least 500 square feet being removed to instal 12 square feet of mat. The best of all this is that 10 years from now these new ramps will no longer be in “compliance” and the whole process will start over again.

49. Wheelchair Mafia says:

One thing I never see is an old car with a Handicap plate. They are always brand new BMWs, Mercedes, Hummers, 4×4 Monster Trucks, etc. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone with a visible disability get in out of a car in a disability parking spot. By the way, how bad can anyone’s “disability” be if they can manage to drive a Hummer or a 4×4 Monster Truck? (PS…ever see a woman with four little kids…she is far more disabled than most of the fraudsters using their blue “FREE PARKING” signs).

50. Over it! Whos is? says:

I own two bars in So Cal. I have 2 loyal pool playing customers that are confined to a wheel chair. i always take them under my wing and insure they are comfortable and enjoy themselves….Ive now just been served my 4th lawsuit in the last 14 months for not being completely ADA compliant. These plantiffs have never been in my businesses nor do they live closer then 200 miles from my places. Ive paid them off in the past and Im currently saving money to redo my bathrooms that have been estimated at $50,000.00 each. My buildings that I lease were built in the early 50’s. im not laying down this time and going to do everything in my power to discredit these extorsionist lawyers. I have a bestfriend who has a son confined to a wheel chair who has told me he has been approached by these lawyers to jump on the band wagon with them and he could make up to a Mil a year and he completely declined! How am I going to be able to afford my new bathrooms when Im paying out $20k a year in lawsuits? I employ 15 people and if I go out of business we are all in the unemployment line….PS half of my staff have small children at home…nice work California but look out….

News Archive