News Blog-October, 2012

Prop. 30 aftermath: Dan Walters channels CalWatchdog

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012

Oct. 31, 2012 By Chris Reed On Tuesday, CalWatchdog told readers that the idea the teachers unions would accept trigger cuts if Prop. 30 failed was ridiculous. "Does anyone really think the California Teachers Association and its less brash little bro, the California Federation of Teachers, are go...

N.Y. Times continues tradition of inept California coverage

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

Oct. 30, 2012 By Chris Reed The New York Times' history of poor coverage of California is extreme. It always blames Prop. 13 for the state's problems. It offers 8,000-word analyses of California's government dysfunction that never mention the power of unions. And now, in an analysis of the San Die...

Reform for California only a vote away

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

Oct. 30, 2012 By Katy Grimes Anyone who still has the hope of reforming California knows that it must begin with the political system. Far too many politicians in California are so heavily influenced by big money that constituents seem to be nothing more than an afterthought and a group to pande...

L.A. Times education reporter: Oblivious or in the tank?

Thursday, October 25th, 2012

Oct. 25 By Chris Reed The Los Angeles Times is the biggest newspaper in the state by far, presumably staffed with veteran reporters with a BS detector. As it turns out, the reporter on one of their most important beats -- the Los Angeles Unified School District -- is either thick as a brick or a u...

Prop. 30 lovers inexplicably think they have moral high ground

Thursday, October 25th, 2012

Oct. 25. 2012 By Chris Reed So Proposition 30 is built on a threat -- raise sales taxes on everyone and income taxes on the rich or we'll punish school kids. Its primary purpose is to preserve a school status quo dedicated to the interests of adult employees, to such an extreme that there's more ...

The day after the election

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012

Oct. 22, 2012 By Katy Grimes With the 2012 election in full swing, everyone's focus seems to be on the candidates and ballot initiatives. We are inundated with ludicrous, often irrelevant political advertising. But what happens after the election? What happens if President Obama gets reelected an...

Non-California nuttiness for a change

Sunday, October 21st, 2012

Oct. 21, 2012 By John Seiler It's a statistical fact that 99 percent of the nuttiness in America originates in California. But that leaves 1 percent from elsewhere. A lot of that 1 percent starts in Minnesota. Look at the joke senator named Al Franken, whose career as a comedy writer made fun of j...

Prop. 32 would curb union dominance

Monday, October 15th, 2012
Prop. 32 would curb union dominance

Oct. 15, 2012 By Katy Grimes Long ago it became evident that a passion for teaching in California schools was overshadowed by union membership. Far too many teachers became flag-waving union members, choosing union activism over student achievement. Proposition 32, the "Paycheck Protection" bal...

Puke politics: Prop. 30 forces pretend to moral high ground

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012

Oct. 9 By Chris Reed Call it "The Tales of Two Tax Hikes." So the pro-Proposition 30 campaign starts running dishonest ads that make it sound like there are strong protections guaranteeing its additional revenue for education won't be hijacked by "Sacramento politicians." It has no such protectio...

Politics driving CA pension investments

Friday, October 5th, 2012

Oct. 5, 2012 By Joseph Perkins The California State Teachers’ Retirement System announced this week that it is sinking $42.8 million into four infrastructure projects, including a solar power plant near Sacramento. That follows CalSTRS’ previous “investment” in another solar-power plant ne...

Archive By Categories
  • California economy
  • Corruption
  • Demographics
  • Education
  • Fracking
  • Health Care
  • Income inequality
  • Infrastructure
  • Inside Government
  • Law enforcement
  • Media
  • Obamacare
  • Obamacare implementation
  • Pension Reform
  • Politics and Elections
  • Regulations
  • Rights and Liberties
  • Seen at the Capitol
  • Taxes
  • Technology
  • Thought police
  • Waste, Fraud and Abuse