Posts Tagged ‘renewable energy’

AB 32-type policies haunt, harm European economy

Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013
AB-32

California's headlong rush to force a broad switch to cleaner-but-costlier energy has long been depicted as something that's either neutral or beneficial for the state's economy, with little or no downside. AB 32 and other state laws mandating use of renewable energy are rarely looked...

State promotes renewable energy at all costs

Friday, June 15th, 2012

June 15, 2012 By Joseph Perkins The California Public Utilities Commission routinely rubber stamps renewable energy projects without discussion. But that was not the case this past Thursday, when Commissioner Michael Florio objected to a solar project that came before the state agency. It was par...

State Pushing Sub-Prime Energy Home Loans

Thursday, May 24th, 2012

May 24, 2012 By Wayne Lusvardi Wasn’t the sub-prime disaster of the last decade bad enough? From 2003 to 2007, it was likely the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) helping unqualified low-income renters fill out sub-prime home loan applications to buy homes at an infl...

California Energy Crash Coming

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012

FEB. 8, 2012 By KATY GRIMES Ready for more electricity blackouts? With California's renewable energy mandates, cap and trade requirements, and implementation of AB 32, it is becoming increasingly clear that California is at a precarious energy crossroads, and one that lawmakers don't yet appear w...

Markets ‘Crush’ Brown's Windmill Fantasy

Friday, July 29th, 2011

JULY 29, 2011 By WAYNE LUSVARDI With the swagger of a boxer before a match, on July 24 Gov. Jerry Brown said he would “crush” any efforts to block renewable energy projects in California. Brown apparently was referring to efforts by environmentalists to stop a planned gargantuan 968 Megawatt ...

99% Chance of Budget Today

Tuesday, June 14th, 2011

John Seiler: There's a 99 percent chance the Legislature will pass a budget today; with the other 1 percent accounting for tomorrow. They'll use whatever "gimmicks" they need, tax increases or no tax increases. The reason was reported yesterday by my colleague Steven Greenhut: "Legislators I talked...

Gridlock On Renewable Energy Highway

Tuesday, May 24th, 2011

MAY 24, 2011 By K. LLOYD BILLINGSLEY California politicians want to draw 33 percent of the state’s energy needs from “renewable” sources such as wind and solar by 2020, fewer than 10 years away. That plan will be hard to pull off for many reasons, including those outlined by energy expert ...

California Enviro Policy Goes Schizo

Thursday, May 19th, 2011

MAY 19, 2011 By DAVE ROBERTS California's energy utilities have been ordered by state officials to provide one third of their energy from renewable sources -- solar, wind and geothermal -- by 2020. But in a green Catch 22, California's government places numerous roadblocks in the way of those util...

Energy Prices Are Going Up

Friday, March 4th, 2011

MAR. 4, 2011 By KATY GRIMES Renewable energy standards are increasing from 20 percent to 33 percent, “whether you like it or not.” Borrowing  a phrase used by California’s Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, back when he was mayor,  seems the only way to describe what is occurring in the renewable ener...