by CalWatchdog Staff | September 23, 2012 10:50 am
Sept. 22, 2012
By Katy Grimes
Gov. Jerry Brown was busy last week, signing some of the 700 bills on his desk into law. He also made a few vetoes–eight to be exact.
Just what California needs–more laws.
Here’s a listing of the bills, signed into law, taken directly from the Governor’s website:
• AB 232 by Assemblymember Manuel Pérez (D-Coachella) – Community Development Block Grant Program: funds.
• AB 401 by Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) – School safety: Carl Washington School Safety and Violence Prevention Act.
• AB 733 by Assemblymember Fiona Ma (D-San Francisco) – Pupil records: privacy rights.
• AB 2219 by Assemblymember Stephen Knight (R-Lancaster) – Contractors’ workers’ compensation insurance coverage.
• AB 2284 by Assemblymember Wesley Chesbro (D-Eureka) – Irrigation.
• AB 2555 by Assemblymember Wilmer Carter (D-Rialto) – Free or reduced-price meals: summer school session: waivers.
• SB 708 by Senator Ellen Corbett (D-San Leandro) – Funds transfers.
• SB 1045 by Senator Bill Emmerson (R-Riverside) – Metal theft: damages.
• SB 1266 by Senator Ellen Corbett (D-San Leandro) – Resource conservation lands: appraisal process.
• AB 2462 by Assemblymember Marty Block (D-San Diego) – Public postsecondary education: academic credit for prior military academic experience.
• AB 1616 by Assemblymember Mike Gatto (D-Burbank) – Food safety: cottage food operations.
• AB 2274 by Assemblymember Ricardo Lara (D-South Gate) – Vexatious litigants.
• AB 2641 by Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) – Nonprofit corporations.
• AB 2133 by Assemblymember Robert Blumenfield (D-Van Nuys) – Veterans: priority registration.
• AB 2478 by Assemblymember Mary Hayashi (D-Hayward) – Student residency requirements: veterans.
• AB 1904 by Assemblymember Marty Block (D-San Diego) – Professions and vocations: military spouses: expedited licensure.
• SB 1405 by Senator Kevin De León (D-Los Angeles) – Accountancy: military service: practice privilege.
• AB 2659 by Assemblymember Robert Blumenfield (D-Van Nuys) – Vehicles: driver’s licenses.
• SB 1413 by Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod (D-Chino) – Adjutant General: support programs.
• AB 2371 by Assemblymember Betsy Butler (D-Marina Del Rey) – Veterans: criminal defendants: mental health issues and restorative relief.
• AB 1224 by the Committee on Veterans Affairs – Veterans: veterans’ farm and home purchases.
• AB 1505 by Assemblymember Richard Pan (D-Sacramento) – Department of Veterans Affairs: veterans’ benefits: reinstatement.
• SB 1287 by Senator Tom Harman (R-Huntington Beach) – Sport fishing licenses.
• SB 1288 by Senator Tom Harman (R-Huntington Beach) – Hunting licenses.
• AB 2490 by Assemblymember Betsy Butler (D-Marina Del Rey) – Veterans: correctional counselors.
• AB 342 by Assemblymember Toni Atkins (D-San Diego) – Office of Planning and Research: Designates the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) to serve as the state liaison with the United States Department of Defense.
• AB 1550 by Assemblymember Susan Bonilla (D-Concord) – Vehicles: veterans’ organizations license plates fees.
• AB 2202 by Assemblymember Marty Block (D-San Diego) – Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: State Council.
• AB 2198 by Assemblymember Jim Nielsen (R-Gerber) – Department of Veterans Affairs: reporting requirements.
• SB 1198 by Senator Ronald Calderon (D-Montebello) – Department of Veterans Affairs: publicity of benefit programs for homeless veterans.
Assembly Bill 2243 (Knight) limits liability for space-flight companies. “California aerospace pioneers like Virgin Galactic, SpaceX and the Spaceship Company are blazing a path to the stars with commercial space travel,” said Governor Brown. “This bill allows commercial space-travel companies to innovate and explore without the worry of excessive liability.”
• AB 16 by Assemblymember Henry Perea (D-Fresno) – High-Speed Rail Authority. Sets a policy for the High-Speed Rail Authority to encourage purchasing high-speed train rolling stock and equipment manufactured in California consistent with federal and state law and continued investment in California businesses.
• AB 53 by Assemblymember Jose Solorio (D-Santa Ana) – Insurers: procurement contracts: minority, women, and disabled veteran business enterprises. Requires major California Insurance industry insurers to encourage greater economic opportunities for women, minority, and disabled-veteran business enterprises by reporting data to the Insurance Commissioner.
• SB 323 by Senator Juan Vargas (D-San Diego) – California Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act.
• SB 1394 by Senator Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach) – Dwelling safety: carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
• SB 1510 by Senator Roderick Wright (D-Los Angeles) – Contracts. Tightens the bidder requirements for demonstrating that a small business, microbusiness or disabled veteran owned business will serve a commercially useful function in carrying out a state contract so that a bidder may claim a bid preference on competitive state contract awards.
• SB 1070 Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) – Career Technical Education Pathways Program.
• SB 1292 by Senator Carol Liu (D-Pasadena) – School employees: principals: evaluation.
• AB 1663 by Assemblymember Roger Dickinson (D-Sacramento) – Pupil instruction: California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science.
• AB 2367 by Assemblymember Susan Bonilla (D-Concord) – School gardens: sale of produce.
• AB 2279 by Assemblymember Sandré Swanson (D-Oakland) – School districts: emergency apportionments: trustees.
• AB 1521 by Assemblymember Julia Brownley (D-Santa Monica) – Standardized Testing and Reporting Program: academic achievement: assessment instrument.
• AB 2193 by Assemblymember Ricardo Lara (D-South Gate) – Long-term English learners. Creates standard definitions of “long-term English learner” and “English learners at risk of becoming long-term English learners,” to properly identify these students so they receive appropriate assistance.
• SB 1108 by Senator Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima) – English learners: reclassification. Requires the California Department of Education to analyze the way school districts reclassify English learners and recommend to the Legislature and state board any changes necessary to improve education in California.
• AB 2616 by Assemblymember Wilmer Carter (D-Rialto) – School districts: truancy. Provides school administrators with more discretion when determining if students are truant and in imposing consequences for truant students to focus truancy reduction efforts away from law enforcement and courts.
• AB 1668 by Assemblymember Wilmer Carter (D-Rialto) – School accountability: academic performance: dropout recovery high schools. Expands the current definition of a “dropout recovery high school” to help better identify the schools that enroll pupils who have not been enrolled for at least 180 days.
• AB 2171 by Assemblymember Paul Fong (D-Mountain View) – Public postsecondary education: community college: expulsion hearing. Allows California Community College districts to require student applicants to disclose any prior expulsion from another community college and allows denial of admission for specified serious or violent offenses.
• AB 1729 by Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) – Pupil rights: suspension or expulsion: alternatives and other means of correction. Clarifies existing law to only allow suspension or expulsion of a student only after other means of correction fail to bring about proper conduct.
• AB 2537 by Assemblymember V. Manuel Perez (D-Coachella) – Pupil discipline: suspensions and expulsions. Clarifies that possessing an imitation firearm, over-the-counter medicine or student’s prescription medicines are not “zero tolerance” offences that automatically require expulsion. Eliminates an existing $500 fine imposed on a principal who fail to notify law enforcement of certain crimes allegedly committed by students.
• AB 2497 by Assemblymember Jose Solorio (D-Santa Ana) – California State University: Early Start Program. Requires the Legislative Analyst’s Office to report information measuring the effect of the California State University’s Early Start Program on mathematics and English proficiency.
Brown joined women’s health advocates at Planned Parenthood Los Angeles Headquarters for a ceremony where he signed a bill “that makes it easier for women to obtain birth control.”
“At a time when some seek to turn back the clock and restrict women’s health choices, California is expanding access to birth control and reaffirming every woman’s basic Constitutional rights,” said Governor Brown.
Assembly Bill 2348 by Assemblymember Holly Mitchell (D-Los Angeles) allows registered nurses (RNs) to dispense and administer hormonal contraceptives under a standardized procedure, as specified. It also allows RNs to dispense drugs and devices upon an order by a certified nurse-midwife (CNM), a nurse practitioner (NP), or a physician assistant (PA) while functioning within specified clinic settings.
• AB 137 by Assemblymember Anthony Portantino (D-Pasadena) – Health care coverage: mammographies.
• AB 439 by Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) – Health care information.
• AB 1468 by the Committee on Budget – Health.
• AB 1471 by the Committee on Budget – Human services.
• AB 1488 by the Committee on Budget – State Department of State Hospitals.
• AB 1569 by Assemblymember Michael Allen (D-Santa Rosa) – Community mental health services: assisted outpatient treatment.
• AB 1803 by Assemblymember Holly Mitchell (D-Los Angeles) – Medi-Cal: emergency medical conditions.
• AB 2009 by Assemblymember Cathleen Galgiani (D-Tracy) – Communicable disease: vaccinations.
• AB 2138 by Assemblymember Robert Blumenfield (D-Van Nuys) – Health insurance fraud: annual fee.
• AB 2142 by Assemblymember Warren Furutani (D-Long Beach) – Public employees’ health benefits: premiums.
• AB 2246 by Assemblymember John A. Pérez (D-Los Angeles) – Public health: food access.
• AB 2252 by Assemblymember Richard Gordon (D- Redwood City) – Dental coverage: provider notice of changes.
• AB 2370 by Assemblymember Allan R. Mansoor (R-Costa Mesa) – Mental retardation: change of term to intellectual disabilities.
• SB 255 by Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills) – Health care coverage: breast cancer.
• SB 623 by Senator Christine Kehoe (D-San Diego) – Public health: health workforce projects.
• SB 728 by Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod (D-Chino) – Medi-Cal: durable medical equipment reimbursement.
• SB 920 by Senator Ed Hernandez (D-Los Angeles) – Medi-Cal: Hospitals.
• SB 1081 by Senator Jean Fuller (R-Bakersfield) – Public health care: Medi-Cal: demonstration projects.
• SB 1095 by Senator Michael Rubio (D-Bakersfield) – Pharmacy: clinics.
• SB 1301 by Senator Ed Hernandez (D-Los Angeles) – Prescription drugs: 90-day supply.
• SB 1359 by Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto) – Personal income taxes: contributions: California Breast Cancer Research Fund: California Cancer Research Fund.
• SB 1381 by Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills) – Mental retardation: change of term to intellectual disability.
• SB 1538 by Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto) – Health care: mammograms.
• SB 1571 by Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord) – Personal income taxes: voluntary contribution: School Supplies for Homeless Children Fund.
• AB 1223 by the Committee on Veterans Affairs – Medi-Cal: Public Assistance Reporting Information System. A veto message can be found here.
• AB 1513 by Assemblymember Michael Allen (D-Santa Rosa) – Retail food facilities: playgrounds. A veto message can be found here.
• AB 2206 by Assemblymember Toni Atkins (D-San Diego) – Medi-Cal: dual eligibles: pilot projects. A veto message can be found here.
• AB 2561 by Assemblymember Roger Hernández (D-Baldwin Park) – Certified surgical technologists. A veto message can be found here.
• SB 764 by Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) – Developmental services: telehealth systems program. A veto message can be found here.
• AB 1098 by Assemblymember Wilmer Carter (D-Rialto) – Vehicle license fees: allocation. A veto message can be found here.
• AB 1853 by Assemblymember Susan Bonilla (D-Concord) – Teacher credentialing: recognition of study in transitional kindergarten. A veto message can be found here.
• AB 2242 by Assemblymember Roger Dickinson (D-Sacramento) – Pupils: grounds for suspension and expulsion. A veto message can be found here.
• SB 977 by Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) –Sherman Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Law: nail polish. A veto message can be found here.
Buckle up–there’s more to come.
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2012/09/23/75-new-ca-laws-signed-by-gov-brown/
Copyright ©2020 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.