CalWatchdog Morning Read – April 22, 2016
by CalWatchdog Staff | April 22, 2016 9:59 am
Education division widening. Guns, gasses and high-speed rail
By CALWATCHDOG STAFF
Good morning and happy Friday!
Last week’s ruling by an appeals court that overturned the Vergara decision — which upended teacher tenure laws in the state — has only fueled the conflicts in education that make reform so difficult.
“For now, the decision puts California students and teachers in a precarious, and possibly untenable, position. On the one hand, the current Vergara ruling has denied that students have a right to an education that trumps teachers unions’ interests in protecting failing teachers…
“On the other hand, the new … ruling has denied that students — this time backed by unions — have a right to an education that meets some qualitative standard.”
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- Counsel for the Legislature said that Gov. Jerry Brown exceeded his authority last year when he extended the provisions of AB32 — a greenhouse gas reduction law — beyond 2020 without legislative approval, reports The Sacramento Bee.
- Senate Pro Tem Kevin de León and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom are fighting over who gets to pass gun control measures, both Democrats. Newsom is pursuing a ballot measure, which De León says could “derail” his efforts in the Legislature. The Los Angeles Times has more.
- Southern California has the highest gas prices in the country “by far,” reports the LA Weekly. The average price per gallon in the region exceed that of Hawaii ($2.60) by 20 cents, although prices are easing.
- The state rail authority announced on Thursday plans to link Merced to the initial segment for high-speed rail, which could add more than $1 billion to the project, reports the Los Angeles Times.
- Senate Republicans plan to announce a package of bills on Tuesday, which could focus on veterans issues, among other things.
- Attending a climate change event at the U.N. Headquarters in New York.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @willshuck @Triphackr
- CalWatchdog: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/04/22/ca-education-gaps-persist/
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article73227072.html
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-kevin-de-leon-gavin-newsom-gun-control-20160422-story.html
- LA Weekly: http://www.laweekly.com/news/socal-has-the-highest-gas-prices-in-america-by-far-6855007
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-bullet-plan-20160422-story.html
- Attending a climate change event : https://www.gov.ca.gov/home.php
- @willshuck: https://twitter.com/willshuck
- @Triphackr: https://twitter.com/Triphackr
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/04/22/88197/
Copyright ©2023 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.