CalWatchdog Morning Read – May 2
by CalWatchdog Staff | May 2, 2016 8:55 am
- Trump, eggs and the CAGOP convention
- Bay Area residents ready to leave
- Cruz changes tune in CA
- Condoms in porn = condoms in life
- Medical marijuana industry lacks oversight
Good morning and welcome to May.
California Republicans greeted all three remaining GOP presidential candidates over the weekend, a big deal for partisans in a state that rarely matters in the primary process.
The main event, or at least the one with protests, was Donald Trump’s speech Friday. Compared to a situation where protestors were throwing eggs at police, busting through barricades and rerouting a candidate’s entrance through a hole in the fence along the 101, the appearances of Texas Senator Ted Cruz and Ohio Governor John Kasich were quite tame.
Cruz’s VP pick — unsuccessful presidential and Senate candidate Carly Fiorina — also spoke. Like Kasich and Cruz, no one hurled eggs in her name either.
California Republicans also changed the party’s rules to allow for up to two more terms for their popular chairman, Jim Brulte. CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- A new poll suggests that more than one-third of Bay Area residents are ready to leave within the next few years due to traffic and housing costs. The San Jose Mercury News has more.
- Cruz has traveled the country criticizing the Obama economy. But at the CAGOP convention this weekend, he had to change his tune slightly in a state where the economy has improved during the Democratic administration of Gov. Jerry Brown, reports the Los Angeles Times.
- “The Los Angeles-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation is touting a new study that suggests people who see condoms in adult video are more likely to use them in their own sex lives,” reports LA Weekly.
- California voters may have to decide in November on whether to legalize recreational marijuana. But the $2.7 billion medical marijuana industry still lacks comprehensive oversight, reports The Orange County Register.
- In at 2 p.m.
- Packed Appropriations Committee agenda.
- At 10:30 a.m. on the west steps of the Capitol building, Brown will attend the California Peace Officers’ Memorial Ceremony.
- At 1:30 p.m., Brown will attend a Wildfire Awareness Week event in McClellan.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @CASenatorJim @robviglione
- Donald Trump’s speech Friday: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/04/29/realdonaldtrump-hits-bay-area/
- Ohio Governor John Kasich: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/04/30/john-kasichs-presidential-primary-challenges/
- also spoke: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/01/carly-fiorina-likens-presidential-politics-football/
- CalWatchdog: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/02/cagop-extends-term-limits-chairman/
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://More%20than%20one-third%20of%20Bay%20Area%20residents%20say%20they%20are%20ready%20to%20leave%20in%20the%20next%20few%20years,%20citing%20high%20housing%20costs%20and%20traffic%20as%20the%20region
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-na-republicans-california-economy-20160502-story.html
- LA Weekly: http://The%20Los%20Angeles-based%20AIDS%20Healthcare%20Foundation%20is%20touting%20a%20new%20study%20that%20suggests%20people%20who%20see%20condoms%20in%20adult%20video%20are%20more%20likely%20to%20use%20them%20in%20their%20own%20sex%20lives.
- The Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/marijuana-714406-department-state.html
- Appropriations Committee: http://senate.ca.gov/calendar
- At 10:30 a.m.: https://www.gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=19396
- At 1:30 p.m.,: https://www.gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=19396
- @CASenatorJim: https://twitter.com/CASenatorJim
- @robviglione: https://twitter.com/robviglione
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/02/calwatchdog-morning-read-may-2/
Copyright ©2021 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.