CalWatchdog Morning Read – May 6
by CalWatchdog Staff | May 6, 2016 11:58 am
- Transparency measure close to qualifying
- Trump divides CA GOP
- Brown’s sentencing measure likely OK
- Lots of peeved nicotine addicts
- Republicans seeking low-income dental funding
Good morning! TGIF
Is it worth giving the public more time to consider major pieces of legislation if it also gives special interest groups more time to unravel the deal?
That’s the debate over a transparency measure that appears headed for the November ballot. It would require all bills be made available online in their final form at least 72 hours prior to a floor vote in either chamber of the Legislature.
It would also require all open legislative meetings to be recorded, with the videos posted online within 24 hours. It also allows individuals to record and share their own videos of open meetings.
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- Even though Trump is the likely GOP nominee for president, California Republicans are still split on the business tycoon. Congressman Darrell Issa of Vista has endorsed Trump, reports The San Diego Union-Tribune. Meanwhile, Assembly Republican Leader Chad Mayes has said not yet, according to the Los Angeles Times. And Capitol Weekly takes a look at how Republican Latinos feel about the candidate largely hated by Latinos.
- It looks like the state Supreme Court might not block Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed ballot measure to reduce prison sentences for some nonviolent offenders. The measure is being challenged on procedural grounds. The Sacramento Bee has more.
- While Democratic leaders pat themselves on the back for raising the smoking and vaping age to 21, there are lots of disappointed and annoyed nicotine addicts who will now be either forced to quite or to get nicotine illegally. The Redding Searchlight has more.
- Republican leaders in both chambers of the Legislature are seeking an additional $200 million in low-income dental services in Brown’s revised budget, which is set to be released next week. The Sacramento Bee has more.
- No public events scheduled.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @myolio @AFPPennsylvania
- CalWatchdog: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/05/transparency-measure-appears-headed-ballot/
- The San Diego Union-Tribune: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/may/05/darrell-issa-endorses-donald-trump/
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-essential-poli-assembly-gop-leader-isnt-on-the-trump-train-just-1462483612-htmlstory.html
- Capitol Weekly: http://capitolweekly.net/republican-latinos-trump-california-difficult-choice/
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article75858557.html
- The Redding Searchlight: http://www.redding.com/news/local/new-smoking-rules-ripple-through-the-community-321ef78b-b773-7a35-e053-0100007f6516-378352541.html
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article75970657.html
- @myolio: https://twitter.com/myolio
- @AFPPennsylvania: https://twitter.com/AFPPennsylvania
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/06/calwatchdog-morning-read-may-6/
Copyright ©2023 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.