CalWatchdog Morning Read – May 18
by CalWatchdog Staff | May 18, 2016 9:06 am
- Treasurer Chiang will run for governor
- Graduation rates rise
- Sen. Feinstein seeks compromise, drought relief
- Death penalty still divides
- Water agency seeks record fine
Good morning! Happy Hump Day.
It’s Twitterficial. Democratic state Treasurer John Chiang is running for governor, he announced on Tuesday — long expected since even before he said he was “strongly leaning towards running” back in February.
Assemblyman Mike Gatto and Board of Equalization Chairwoman Fiona Ma, two other prominent Democrats, made Twitter announcements (Twouncements?) for their candidacies to replace Chiang as treasurer.
CalWatchdog has more.
And for a bonus, the Los Angeles Times looks at who else may round out the governor’s race.
In other news:
- The state’s four-year graduation rate rose to 82.3 percent last year, the sixth straight consecutive increase. The San Jose Mercury News has more.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is urging compromise on a package of drought relief bills before Congress, arguing that there’s no end to the drought in sight. The Los Angeles Times has more.
- The state seems still split on the death penalty. As two competing initiatives struggle for enough signatures to qualify for the ballot, they have gained enough to trigger legislative hearings, reports The Sacramento Bee.
- A state water agency is seeking its largest fine ever — $4.6 million — against the owner of a small island north of Pittsburg for filling and degrading tidal wetlands. The San Jose Mercury News has more.
- Full slate of hearings.
- Full slate of hearings.
- At around 7:50 a.m., Brown will speak the 91st Annual Sacramento Host Breakfast.
- And at 1, Brown will attend the Governor’s Military Council meeting in Sacramento.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog.com @mflemingterp
New followers: @HaakeTranspo @nino275_k
- more: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/17/three-democratic-lawmakers-make-intentions-statewide-office-twitterficial/
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-california-governor-2018-20160517-snap-htmlstory.html
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_29904339/californias-graduation-rate-reaches-record-high
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-feinstein-water-senate-20160518-snap-story.html
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article78170442.html
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_29905227/state-water-agency-proposes-4-6-million-fine
- Full slate: http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents
- Full slate : http://senate.ca.gov/calendar
- Brown will speak: https://www.gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=19421
- Brown will attend: https://www.gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=19420
- @HaakeTranspo: https://twitter.com/HaakeTranspo
- @nino275_k: https://twitter.com/nino275_k
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/18/calwatchdog-morning-read-may-18/
Copyright ©2021 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.