CalWatchdog morning read — June 13
by CalWatchdog Staff | June 13, 2016 11:06 am
By CALWATCHDOG STAFF
- CA Republicans diversifying
- What can be done about mass shootings?
- Tragedy averted in Santa Monica
- Recalling a judge is harder than it looks
- Daylight savings time in Legislature’s crosshairs
With a little luck at the ballot box, Republicans in the Legislature are set to expand on their increasingly diverse delegation, a far cry from the “Party of Old White Men” it’s been thought of by some for years.
And while Republicans have the primary goal of holding the relatively few seats in the Legislature they already have, increased diversity would show a modernizing party that could expand is electoral appeal.
“Our party does not engage in the identity politics of the left, but we have placed an emphasis on recruiting and supporting the best candidates for every district,” said CAGOP Vice Chairwoman Harmeet Dhillon. “In our culturally rich state, that candidate is often someone with a minority background.”
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- The tragic shooting in Orlando yesterday left Americans again wondering if there is anything to be done to curb mass shootings, but sadly there’s not, reports The Orange County Register.
- Apparently unrelated to the Orlando tragedy, an Indiana man armed with three assault rifles and chemicals used to make explosives was arrested in Santa Monica on Sunday, with a gay pride parade as his ultimate target. The San Jose Mercury News/AP has more.
- Calls to recall the judge who sentenced a Stanford University athlete to six months in jail for sexual assault have only increased since the controversial verdict last week. But recalling a judge is more difficult than it seems, reports Capitol Weekly.
- A bill to abolish daylight savings time in California gets its first committee hearing today. The Sacramento Bee has more.
- In at 1 p.m. Multiple committee hearings.
- In at noon. Multiple committee hearings.
- No public events announced.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @PoliticalRTer @CupOfPolitics
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/11/republicans-legislature-poised-increase-diversity-2016/
- The Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/security-719093-mcgoey-sunday.html
- The San Jose Mercury News/AP: http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_30006856/suspect-guns-explosives-arrested-en-route-la-pride
- Capitol Weekly: http://capitolweekly.net/difficulties-judicial-recall-persky-turner-case/
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/dan-walters/article83098292.html
- Multiple: http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents
- Multiple: http://senate.ca.gov/calendar
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/13/calwatchdog-morning-read-june-13/
Copyright ©2022 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.