CalWatchdog Morning Read – June 14
by CalWatchdog Staff | June 14, 2016 9:48 am
- Lawmakers look to increase gun restrictions, but will that work?
- Car tax increase
- Climate agenda going up in smoke?
- Lawmakers to redefine rape
- Gut and amend on ballot measures?
Good morning and happy Tuesday!
In the wake of the tragic shooting in Orlando, California lawmakers are renewing a push for expanded gun control, with a wide range of measures to be considered today.
According to the Los Angeles Times, some of the bills “would close loopholes that allow the sale of semiautomatic rifles with detachable ammunition magazines,” while others would “outlaw the possession of magazines with a capacity of more than 10 bullets and require background checks for people who buy ammunition.”
But California already has tough gun laws, at least compared to Florida, including a ban on most guns like the one used on Orlando. Could expanded restrictions deter similar tragedies in California, asks The San Jose Mercury News.
“Firearms policy experts say the limits on guns and ammunition may have reduced the number of casualties in Orlando,” writes The Mercury News. “But California’s background checks would not have stopped (the Orlando shooter) from purchasing firearms capable of doing plenty of damage.”
In other news:
- A $10-per-year increase to the vehicle registration fee was part of a budget deal negotiated by lawmakers in the last few days, reports Capital Public Radio.
- Increasing legal, financial and political troubles threaten to derail the state’s cap and trade program, possibly taking Democrats’ climate agenda down in the process writes the Los Angeles Times.
- California lawmakers look to broaden the definition of rape, reports The Sacramento Bee.
- Are gut and amend tactics OK for ballot measures, asks CalWatchdog.
- Full slate of hearings.
- Full slate of hearings.
- No public events scheduled.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @SenBillEmmerson @dotDomain
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-gun-bills-snap-story.html
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_30011651/orlando-shootings-would-californias-tough-gun-laws-stop
- Capital Public Radio: http://www.capradio.org/articles/2016/06/13/calif-budget-deal-includes-increase-in-vehicle-registration-fees/
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-climate-change-challenges-20160614-snap-story.html
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article83583722.html
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/13/gut-amend-tactics-ok-ballot-measures/
- Full slate: http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents
- Full slate: http://senate.ca.gov/calendar
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/14/calwatchdog-morning-read-june-14/
Copyright ©2019 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.