CalWatchdog Morning Read – June 23
by CalWatchdog Staff | June 23, 2016 10:44 am
- Roger Hernandez retaliating against the Women’s Caucus?
- State senator served with subpoena on Election Night
- State agency delaying audit
- Coastal Commission needs loan from the state to make payroll
- Democrats looking to increase mandatory sentencing minimums
Good morning. Happy Friday eve.
A bill to expand parental leave was killed in committee Wednesday, leaving the Twitterati to point to an appearance of retaliation by the chairman, Assemblyman Roger Hernández.
The perceived retaliation came two months after the West Covina Democrat was asked to step down by the bill’s sponsor amid domestic violence allegations (that he’s denied) surfaced and after being placed under a temporary restraining order from his wife.
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- State senator and congressional candidate Isadore Hall was served with a subpoena on Election Night for an issue dating back to his time on the Compton City Council, in a dispute where owners allegedly misled tenants at a housing development Hall helped pushed through and now lives in. The Los Angeles Times has more.
- “A Bay Area legislator is crying foul after discovering that a state audit he requested almost one year ago about psychiatric drugs prescribed to foster children has been delayed because a state agency supplied incomplete information,” writes The San Jose Mercury News.
- “Gov. Jerry Brown’s budget advisors have approved an emergency loan of $1.45 million to the California Coastal Commission after an agency staffer said it was in danger of not making payroll in July,” writes the Los Angeles Times.
- “In response to the high-profile case of a Stanford student sentenced to six months in jail after his rape conviction, state Democratic lawmakers are introducing two competing bills to mandate prison sentences in such cases,” writes the Los Angeles Times.
- No public events announced.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @JohnAederHCM @doclobby
- was asked to step down: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/04/23/88200/
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/23/twitter-tells-story-legislative-retaliation/
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-isadore-hall-subpoena-20160623-snap-story.html
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_30046567/bay-area-lawmaker-outraged-over-delay-audit-psych
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-coastal-commission-loan-payroll-20160622-snap-story.html
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-essential-politics-1466617948-htmlstory.html
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/23/calwatchdog-morning-read-june-23/
Copyright ©2023 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.