CalWatchdog Morning Read – June 30
by CalWatchdog Staff | June 30, 2016 9:41 am
- CA airports beef up security after Istanbul attacks
- Top CA Dem under fire
- Dem money man flirting with gubernatorial run
- Trouble for bullet train and twin tunnels
- CA Democrats backing recreational pot
The attack in Istanbul on Tuesday that left at least 42 people dead and another 239 injured “exposed the vulnerability of public areas of airports outside screening checkpoints,” writes The San Bernardino County Sun.
“And Southern California airports, gearing up for a potentially record-setting Fourth of July weekend, responded quickly to meet the threat by saturating terminal entrances with uniformed police officers and bomb-sniffing dogs.”
The Sun has more.
In other news:
- After recent questions about his ethics, is Eric Bauman — the clear frontrunner to be the next chair of the California Democratic Party — vulnerable? The Sacramento Bee has more.
- Top Democratic money man Tom Steyer is being coy about whether or not he wants to run for office. The Los Angeles Times has more.
- “The ‘No Blank Checks Initiative’… would require a public vote on any state project in which $2 billion or more in revenue bonds would be issued. And since both the bullet train and twin-tunnels projects would most likely require that kind of financing, voters could ultimately get a chance to decide their fate,” writes The San Jose Mercury News.
- “CA Democrats line up to back marijuana legalization,” writes CalWatchdog.
- In at 9 a.m. Several hearings.
- No public events announced.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New Followers: @MattLaslo @ChosenLawyers
- The Sun: http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20160629/istanbul-attack-prompts-beefed-up-security-at-southern-california-airports
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article86702057.html
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-essential-politics-tom-steyer-says-decision-on-whether-to-1467230831-htmlstory.html
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_30072880/ballot-measure-threatens-bullet-train-delta-tunnels
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/30/ca-dems-line-back-legal-pot/
- Several: http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/06/30/calwatchdog-morning-read-june-30/
Copyright ©2020 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.