CalWatchdog Morning Read – July 5
by CalWatchdog Staff | July 5, 2016 8:20 am
- Hernandez stripped of committee assignments
- Older Latinos key to defeating legal pot?
- Will Brown keep his promises on Prop. 30?
- Spike in violent crime
- Condoms in porn measure hurts industry, says actress.
- Rep. Rohrabacher: Let’s give Putin a chance
Speaker Anthony Rendon on Friday finally took action against a lawmaker accused of domestic violence by removing him from his committee assignments, which included a committee chairmanship.
The Paramount Democrat’s move follows a court order early Friday for Assemblyman Roger Hernández to stay away from his wife for three years from whom he is getting divorced, as well as a particularly harsh editorial by the Sacramento Bee that same day.
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- LA Weekly looks at how older Latinos may defeat this cycle’s movement to legalize pot.
- Will Jerry Brown keep his promise that Prop. 30 — a temporary tax increase on top earnings — would be merely a stopgap measure? The Los Angeles Times has more.
- “California violent crime increased 10 percent last year, the first rise since 2012,” reports The Sacramento Bee.
- A porn actress speaks out about the upcoming ballot measure that would require condoms in porn (among other things), calling the measure “a trojan horse.” The Voice of San Diego has more.
- One California congressman is calling for better relations between the United States and Russia and its president, Vladamir Putin. The San Jose Mercury News has more.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @SocialRiverside @ChosenLawyers
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/07/02/sac-bee-blasts-lawmaker-accused-killing-bill-payback/
- LA Weekly: http://www.laweekly.com/news/could-latinos-snuff-out-pot-legalization-7093557
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-budget-proposition-30-20160703-snap-story.html
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article87296502.html
- Voice of San Diego: http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/government/sacramento-report-porn-initiative-degrades-work/
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_30090206/surfer-republican-russias-unlikely-advocate-congress
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/07/05/calwatchdog-morning-read-july-5/
Copyright ©2020 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.