CalWatchdog Morning Read – July 20
by CalWatchdog Staff | July 20, 2016 10:06 am
- Good news for Brown’s twin tunnels project
- U.S. Senate candidate fires back at Obama
- Obamacare premiums to rise
- Fight with union threatens Brown’s low-income housing plan
- CAGOP staffers get norovirus at national convention, but no new outbreaks in 24 hours
Good morning. Happy Hump Day.
The California Supreme Court cleared a big obstacle to Gov. Jerry Brown’s plan to tunnel more Delta water out of Northern California, allowing the Southland’s Metropolitan Water District to proceed with the purchase of estuary islands that would be key to speeding up construction.
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- “Orange County congresswoman Loretta Sanchez let loose on President Obama for endorsing her rival in California’s U.S. Senate race, accusing him of being part of the ‘entrenched political establishment’ that has failed California voters,” writes the Los Angeles Times.
- Premiums for health insurance plans purchased through state-run “Obamacare” exchanges are projected to rise more than 13 percent statewide next year, with some premiums doubling in certain areas of the state. The San Jose Mercury News has more.
- “(Gov. Jerry Brown) has proposed legislation to streamline approval for housing with units for low-income residents. The state Building and Construction Trades Council, which represents ironworkers, roofers, electrical workers and other construction unions, wants Brown to force home-builders to pay construction workers at rates often equivalent to union wages to qualify under the plan, something the governor is resisting,” reports the Los Angeles Times.
- The California Republican Party confirmed that the staffers who fell ill this week at the Republican National Convention in Ohio had norovirus — also known as the winter vomiting bug — but reported there have been no new outbreaks in the past 24 hours.
- No public events announced.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mfleming
New follower: @RSI
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/07/20/ca-court-oks-divisive-delta-deal/
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-sac-essential-politics-updates-loretta-sanchez-unloads-on-president-1468975458-htmlstory.html
- The San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_30144878/obamacare-covered-californias-health-plan-prices-soar
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-affordable-housing-union-fight-20160720-snap-story.html
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/07/20/calwatchdog-morning-read-july-20/
Copyright ©2019 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.