CalWatchdog Morning Read – July 29
by CalWatchdog Staff | July 29, 2016 10:40 am
- CalSTRS v. Volkswagen
- Congressional candidate issuing terrorist-hunting permits
- What you need to know about the vaccine law
- Earned Income Tax Credit misses estimates
- Many voters skipping Senate race
The legislative summer recess is coming to an end, so enjoy the weekend because next week is the start of a long month.
And now to dig right into our Morning Read, The Sacramento Bee has our top story today about the Volkswagen scandal:
“California’s $188 billion teachers’ pension fund is stepping up the pressure on Volkswagen in a European lawsuit over the German automaker’s air-pollution scandal.
“The California State Teachers’ Retirement System, the second-largest U.S. public pension fund, has obtained a court order that will enable its attorneys to unearth potentially crucial corporate records relating to Volkswagen’s tainted diesel vehicles.
“The order came a month after CalSTRS joined other institutional shareholders in suing Volkswagen in Germany, claiming their investments in the company have been damaged by its diesel pollution scandal. CalSTRS’ shares of Volkswagen were worth $52 million as of Dec. 31.”
In other news:
- One Southern California congressional candidate is giving out terrorist-hunting permits to donors, according to The Press-Enterprise.
- In preparation for the upcoming school year, The Orange County Register tells you everything you need to know about the new vaccine law.
- More from The Bee: “California’s new earned-income tax credit had put about $189 million in the pockets of the working poor as of earlier this month, well below the $380 million in claims the Brown administration and lawmakers had expected.”
- And even more from The Bee: “Half of Republicans and 34 percent of nonaligned voters in California plan to sit out the U.S. Senate race this fall between Democrats Kamala Harris and Loretta Sanchez, according to a new poll.”
- No public events scheduled.
Tips: [email protected]
Twitter: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @gareth_lacy
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article92360402.html
- The Press-Enterprise: http://www.pe.com/articles/chabot-809368-permits-candidate.html
- The Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/law-723959-children-school.html
- The Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/site-services/databases/article92493667.html
- The Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article92465827.html
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/07/29/calwatchdog-morning-read-july-29/
Copyright ©2023 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.