CalWatchdog Morning Read – August 3
by CalWatchdog Staff | August 3, 2016 9:17 am
- L.A. County under fire for automatic license suspensions for unpaid fines
- Gov. Brown pushing hard for housing deal
- Latest legislative fundraising numbers
- UCLA coach highest paid public employee in the state — $3.5 million
- Water conservation efforts dipped last month
Good morning. Happy Hump Day.
Civil rights attorneys filed suit on Tuesday in the Los Angeles Superior Court to block the practice of automatic driver’s license suspensions for unpaid fines, reports the Los Angeles Times.
This is something CalWatchdog has covered extensively, as civil rights groups in Northern California have done the same thing with modest success.
In other news:
- “With the deadline to pass bills weeks away, California’s housing director is traveling throughout the state seeking to bolster Gov. Jerry Brown’s fast-track housing plan,” writes The Orange County Register.
- The latest fundraising numbers for legislative races are in, showing who is best suited for Election Day, reports The Sacramento Bee.
- UCLA coaches again top the list of highest paid public employees in the state, with football head coach Jim Mora topping the list with $3.5 million in income last year. Capital Public Radio has more.
- “Californians used 21 percent less water in June than they did in 2013. That wasn’t as much savings as last month or even last year, but state water regulators say they expected conservation to dip. It’s the first month after statewide mandates were eased. Local water agencies now set conservation standards based on supply. Agencies must self-certify that they can provide water for several years. Regulators call it a ‘stress-test,'” reports Capital Public Radio.
- Next floor session on Thursday. Several hearings today, including a marathon Appropriations hearing.
- Next floor session on Thursday. Several hearings today.
- Speaking in San Diego at a union convention.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New follower: @LeahDurantLaw
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-license-suspension-suit-20160802-snap-story.html
- extensively: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/04/19/civil-liberty-groups-demand-solano-county-court-stop-suspending-licenses-poor/
- modest: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/05/23/contra-costa-ceases-license-suspensions-failure-pay-fines/
- The Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/housing-724389-plan-brown.html
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article93370692.html
- Capital Public Radio: http://www.capradio.org/articles/2016/08/02/coaches,-doctors-top-list-of-states-highest-paid/
- Capital Public Radio: http://www.capradio.org/articles/2016/08/02/californians-conserve-less-water-under-new-rules/
- marathon Appropriations: http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents
- Several hearings: http://senate.ca.gov/calendar
- Speaking in San Diego: https://www.gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=19493
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/08/03/calwatchdog-morning-read-august-3/
Copyright ©2021 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.