CalWatchdog Morning Read – August 8
by CalWatchdog Staff | August 8, 2016 9:17 am
- New bill rekindles old human egg fight
- Lawmakers push for mandatory minimums in sex assault cases
- OC Democrats almost overtake former Republican stronghold
- Bilingual education back on ballot
Good morning! Happy Monday. Our top story is about a new bill rekindling the old human egg fight.
California women interested in profiting from their eggs — often handsomely — have long availed themselves of private opportunities to do just that. Now, they could have another chance to do so on the medical research market under a new bill.
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- “In wake of Stanford sexual assault case, lawmakers once again pitch mandatory prison time,” writes the Los Angeles Times.
- “A surge in Democratic voter registration has cut Republicans’ advantage in Orange County to less than 6 percentage points and has doubled the number of Democratic cities over the past year,” writes The Orange County Register.
- Fight over a campaign-funded slate mailer posing as a newspaper heads to federal court. OC Weekly has more.
- “Bilingual education back on the ballot 18 years after voters rejected it,” writes The Sacramento Bee.
- In at 1 p.m. Packed Appropriations agenda starting at 10 a.m.
- No public events scheduled.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New followers: @APLaurieKellman
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/08/08/new-bill-rekindles-old-human-egg-payment-fight/
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-stanford-rape-prison-sentences-20160806-snap-story.html
- The Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/county-724744-republicans-democratic.html
- OC Weekly: http://www.ocweekly.com/news/larry-agrans-irvine-newspaper-lawsuit-moves-toward-2017-federal-trial-7397039
- The Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article94068542.html
- In at 1 p.m.: http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents
- In at 1 p.m.: http://senate.ca.gov/calendar
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/08/08/calwatchdog-morning-read-august-8/
Copyright ©2023 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.