CalWatchdog Morning Read – August 19
by CalWatchdog Staff | August 19, 2016 9:35 am
- Affordable housing deal appears dead for the year
- Court rules medical pot safe from feds
- Stockton mayor pleads not guilty to charges from teen strip poker game
- Legislature close to decriminalizing prostitution for minors
- Concealed carry has begun in Kern High School District
Good morning and TGIF! The legislative session drew one day closer to its conclusion — and it appears that one of the biggest outstanding policy issues is done for the year.
A deal to spur the construction of low-income housing statewide has apparently fallen apart, according to multiple media reports.
Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, D-Paramount, said talks have died for the year, largely because of Gov. Jerry Brown’s insistence on including provisions that would speed up development by relaxing requirements in the approval process — an idea that angered many local government officials.
CalWatchdog has more.
In other news:
- “A new federal court ruling offers some reassurance that no federal authority can pull the plug on state-approved medicinal pot use,” writes CalWatchdog.
- Stockton’s mayor has “pleaded not guilty to criminal charges connected to a strip poker game with teen counselors at a summer camp for underprivileged children,” writes The San Jose Mercury News/AP.
- “A controversial bill that would decriminalize prostitution for minors squeezed out of the California Assembly on Thursday and is now headed back to the Senate for a final vote,” writes the Los Angeles Times.
- “Kern High School District officials began allowing non-employee concealed carry weapon permit holders to bring firearms on campus Wednesday, but with a cost that at least one trustee said presents ‘obstacles’ to armed citizens,” reports The Bakersfield Californian.
- No public events announced.
Tips: [email protected]
Follow us: @calwatchdog @mflemingterp
New follower: @madsfranklin
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/08/19/affordable-housing-deal-appears-dead-year/
- CalWatchdog: http://calwatchdog.com/2016/08/18/federal-appeals-court-protects-ca-medical-marijuana-use/
- The San Jose Mercury News/AP: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_30266780/stockton-mayor-pleads-not-guilty-charges-related-strip
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-sac-essential-politics-updates-california-lawmakers-reject-bold-step-1471556676-htmlstory.html
- The Bakersfield Californian: http://www.bakersfield.com/News/2016/08/18/Want-to-carry-a-gun-to-school-KHSD-says-it-will-cost-you.html
Source URL: https://calwatchdog.com/2016/08/19/calwatchdog-morning-read-august-19/
Copyright ©2023 CalWatchdog.com unless otherwise noted.