California cities struggle with implications of homeless ruling

The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision not to hear an appeal of a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeal ruling limiting when homeless people can be arrested in California and eight other Western states has left lawmakers who want a crackdown over the homeless’ negative effects on quality of life not even sure what that might look like.

In 2018, the San Francisco-based appellate court threw out a broadly written Boise, Idaho, law allowing arrests for sleeping in public, holding that if there were no shelter beds available, this was a cruel and unusual punishment. But dozens of local governments submitted or co-signed amicus briefs to the Supreme Court arguing that the decision was murky at best. One oft-cited example: If a city has fewer shelter beds than its homeless population, is the city automatically blocked from arresting those sleeping in public?

Some Los Angeles officials fear that’s a likely interpretation.

“The [Boise case] language, rather than citing clear principles where constitutional questions are at stake, makes local jurisdictions vulnerable to lawsuits as they struggle to achieve a balance between the legitimate rights and interests of homeless people and the legitimate rights and interests of other residents and businesses,” City Attorney Mike Feuer told The New York Times.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas called the ruling “ambiguous and confusing” and said in a statement released by his office that the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear the appeal “handicaps cities and counties from acting nimbly to aid those perishing on the streets, exacerbating unsafe and unhealthy conditions that negatively affect our most vulnerable residents.”

Large homeless camps called ‘untenable’

It was Ridley-Thomas in September who signaled the arrival of a backlash on homelessness by breaking dramatically with Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, who has called for a compassion-first approach to what he calls “the moral and humanitarian crisis of our time.”

After persuading L.A. County supervisors to vote 3-2 to support filing an amicus brief backing Boise’s appeal, Ridley-Thomas issued a statement saying the status quo in which the city and county accept massive homeless encampments is “untenable. … We need to call this what it is — a state of emergency — and refuse to resign ourselves to a reality where people are allowed to live in places not fit for human habitation.”

Until then, Ridley-Thomas had been seen as a supporter of the view touted by Democrats like Garcetti and Gov. Gavin Newsom, who argue that homelessness can be sharply reduced with the patient, smart use of public resources. Earlier this year, Newsom had named Ridley-Thomas to be part of his state commission on homelessness.

The fear that the Boise ruling would destroy the quality of life in cities with substantial homeless populations was a focus of Boise’s appeal, which was prepared by the Los Angeles-based Gibson Dunn law firm. “Nothing in the Constitution … requires cities to surrender their streets, sidewalks, parks, riverbeds and other public areas to vast encampments,” the appeal asserted.

San Francisco official downplays impact of ruling

While they were outnumbered by lawmakers who feared the worst, some local officials in San Francisco and Oakland were less alarmed with the implications of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to pass on the Boise case.

In interpreting the appellate court’s 2018 ruling, these officials concluded they had the open-ended right to clear encampments that posed clear health and safety risks — so long as they notified those in encampments ahead of time that the camps are going to be cleared and offered the homeless storage for their belongings.

Jeff Kositsky, chief of San Francisco’s Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing, told the San Francisco Chronicle that he considered the Supreme Court’s action to be a “nonissue.”

Seventy-five miles to the east, Sacramento officials were far more concerned. They fear the upholding of the Boise ruling will interfere with local governments’ efforts to remove the homeless camps that have frequently sprung up in flood-prone areas, especially by the American River in Sacramento.

1. Standing Fast
    Standing Fast 27 December, 2019, 11:58

This issue has reached the crisis stage. If our fearless leaders do not respond to this crisis appropriately we will be facing even worse problems down the road. And maybe not that very far down the road.

The Enablers have had their say. Their policies don’t work. It’s time now to screen first, offer assistance & housing second, and third, the boot to those who refuse to avail themselves of the assistance offered. People should be held accountable. Nobody has a right to violate the rights of others, no matter what their story is.

• ricky smith
      ricky smith 28 December, 2019, 08:23

Your comment makes so much sense it has no place in Crazyfornia these days

• Fuzzy Llama
      Fuzzy Llama 16 April, 2020, 20:53

You are exactly right. What you said may sound crazy but it’s because what is happening in California is crazy. The Enablers have created this crisis. Since they created it, and they are the ones running the state, they should be made to stop ignoring it and solve it. California state leaders in Sacramento are always saying Cali has the 8th largest economy on earth. They waste billions of dollars on insane “programs.” However, people are stepping on poop on their way to work and homeless people are sleeping on sidewalks because they have no where to do.

2. Queeg
    Queeg 27 December, 2019, 15:15

Comrades

An early policy in Nazi Germany was remove permanently disabled etc. from society. Perhaps our courts feared a repeat.

A compassionate move of the homeless to military bases for temporary nutrition, mental and physical evaluation and care, grooming, dental and eye care, a small wardrobe of clothes…..

What is wrong with that?

An organized, military approach would work wonders for many of society ills!

This volunteer, charity or bloated grant systems are failing miserably.

Some of the most incompetent whoever lived administer homeless outreach in California.

3. Brenda Beck and proud of it.
    Brenda Beck and proud of it. 27 December, 2019, 15:45

I have been homeless by no fault of my own, just life’s circumstances and contrary to popular belief we are not all criminals, drug attacks or bums or out here by choice. I am sick of all societies problems being blamed on the homeless and a lot of times by nameless people who leave comments on sites like this.Their answer to the situation is just make them go somewhere else so we don’t catch anything from them. Believe it or not most of us have worked hard all our lives and never thought this would be our lives, especially in our later years , but due to uncontrollable circumstances here we are. And all you holier than thou people need to realize that this could be you. Anything can happen. Now they are trying to criminalize homelessness. We just plain and simple don’t have the income to pay those greedy landlords what they’re asking for their dumps. We have done nothing wrong and have nowhere to go. Listen here STANDING FAST(who doesn’t even have the guts to put their name) the help you’re talking about is a waiting list years and even decades long if you can even get on the list because it’s a lottery system. What good is temporary housing? When your time is up you’re in worse shape than before because it’s that much harder to be out here on the street. Maybe all the complainers should get off their couch and come up with a solution. Or maybe they should be the ones to leave. You don’t hear any homeless people complaining because you have a house. Or because they don’t like the color of it or the tree you planted. All the money these cities have spent trying to make us criminals for just trying to survive the best we can they could have built those tiny houses for everyone in the country. Those shipping containers can be converted into really cute houses and they can be stacked to accommodate more people in a smaller space. They would also be a fast solution because they wouldn’t have to be built. Or if they don’t have the compassion to do that they could designate an area where the homeless could pitch their tents or park their cars or RVs or whatever they have. They could put portable bathrooms and dumpsters and a place for RVS to dump the waste. Then all the high and mighties wouldn’t have to look at us. I shouldn’t have to leave the city I have lived in my whole life because it has become ridiculously expensive and all these snooty, judgmental so and sos don’t wanna look at me. Permanent housing we can afford on our income is the only solution, not kick them out to become someone else’s problem. The same mentality as when people with disabilities were locked away out of site or put in the circus. Come to think of it we are already a side show with all the staring and harassment we go through every day from people like STANDING FAST. It’s just another form of discrimination and believe it or not we have rights to and you don’t have the right to violate ours.

• ricky smith
      ricky smith 28 December, 2019, 08:21

Brenda the Bum:
      Go to hell. You have no right to complain.
      You’re the exact reason we need mental health treatment for the so-called ‘homeless. You’re so sick you don’t even recognize that you are the source of your own problems
      You cant give a home to drug addicted bums and expect them to maintain it.
      And you can’t spend 600k per bum unit like LA is and ever get ahead of the demand.
      And why should we do it for bums in the first place when our lower and middle class working people are more deserving? At least they are trying to do the right thing by supporting themselves with dignity and obeying he laws.
      We are not going to let you live like pigs on the streets and in our neighborhoods and spread your disease and filth. Period.
      This ain’t Mumbai—yet.

• Phineas Worthington
        Phineas Worthington 27 February, 2020, 05:03

Homelessness is a systemic issue all around the globe. That indicates there is a far larger problem than you seem to acknowledge. Systemic problems are fundamentally rooted in monetary policy, bad monetary policy.

There is no need to attack the commenter as you did. You’re never going to bully the homeless back to normalcy with fake tough love.

People need to be able to have economic opportunities and the ability to have their earnings pay for their basic needs. Inflation of our money supply destroys that. You’re blind to the deleterious effects of inflation and the systemic problems of homelessness it has created all over the world. You’re in very good, wide company with your willful blindness at least, so you have that.

Even though everyone is working again, half the country has no savings and can barely afford the rent. That’s not due to incompetence or laziness. That’s due to inflation, the stealing of private savings through inflation of the money supply. Sound money is the remedy to so many of these issues. As well as more economic liberty generally.

It used to take 8 weeks for an old builder I know to get permission and then build a house from breaking ground to finish. It now takes a minimum six months just to build a house. And that’s after the five year public review process where you may or may not even get permission to build. That is all due to government. And it has a cost.

• Standing Fast
          Standing Fast 27 February, 2020, 10:59

The causes of homelessness in all countries except those which have recently suffered a major disaster can be traced to bad government policy on a variety of issues, including communism (which is synonymous with socialism), high taxes, drug-addiction, and so forth.

Homelessness in California is caused by bad State and local government policies including the closing of the State mental hospitals without having an alternative system in place (this was a controversial bi-partisan proposal), early release of criminals, so-called prison-reforms and early release of criminals, etc. I know I’m leaving out a lot of stuff, but what I think does not jive with official policy.

Our State and local officials are trying to appease the Enablers because they don’t want to be attacked in the media. They don’t hear from the rest of us because…. Now this is the thing that bothers me. I know for a fact people are really at the end of their rope with homelessness in many cities now, but I don’t think I know exactly why they are not taking effective action. Nobody seems to want to take the lead and get something going.

In the United States, we have the power to address the problem, even turn the tide in the right direction. We haven’t taken advantage of our opportunities. And now that the Coronavirus has been let loose around the world, going to meetings & so forth is not a wise choice for most people.

I would suggest everyone call their council representatives, mayors, assemblymen, state senators, governors, and the President to say that the homelessness situation is out of control mostly because cities aren’t enforcing vagrancy laws and are building tiny homeless housing in our neighborhoods–mostly those that are lower and lower-middle income but very nice and livable especially the historic neighborhoods; the State is not funding a system of new mental institutions for the mentally-ill so they can’t contribute to the homeless problem and in California is releasing criminals early and stripping the police of their powers to protect us.

Or something like that. If you can keep your comments brief–three separate points maximum and all summarized by one general point.

4. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 28 December, 2019, 08:48

Leadership is lacking….period.

Just pack and ship, for Detroit or Baltimore is right around the corner…..

New Years special….many as it takes plastic bags, straws and paper cups to make your eventual move comfortable and relaxing.

You can count on Uly in this societal madness!

5. Standing Fast
    Standing Fast 28 December, 2019, 10:07

My dears,

I am sorry that my comments offend anyone. They are meant to be helpful, not hurtful. I am not one to stare at or shame people, no matter how they appear to me. Nor do I assume that every homeless person is in the streets because they are irresponsible. But, statistics show that most are drug addicts, and many were mentally-ill before they started taking drugs.

I know many homeless are minor children, elderly, disabled, mentally-ill who are not addicts, and so forth, and they need assistance yesterday.

I think the homeless problem is caused by two things: bad government policies and low standards of society: Society does not hold addicts accountable, society does not provide proper care & facilities for mentally-ill, society does not protect any of us from criminals, society does not uphold the moral code that made America the Land of Liberty.

In consequence, government refuses to act responsibly. But, Society is made of individuals, which means our attitudes and actions determine how things will go. For the past sixty years we have not been doing too well, and here we are. Time to give up the Anything Goes view of the Universe.

Many of us have been begging our local and state government to adopt policies that can resolve the homeless problem, but our fearless leaders refuse to listen and keep moving forward with programs that cost millions of dollars but are designed to fail. Those of us who oppose these silly programs are called heartless, hateful and other names by the Enablers. Politicians are afraid they will be called names if they adopt programs that will work.

I also know there are churches, private charities, and service organizations that offer all kinds of help to people in need. But, if you are in need you have to seek them out and each community has its own mix of sources for assistance.

Pace.

6. Dork
    Dork 31 December, 2019, 06:13

A simple Regulation change could be done overnight and would greatly speed up the process of fixing the Homeless Crisis in this Godforsaken State.::

All persons considered Homeless, Shall be entitled to camp on Public Property within 1000 feet of the personal residence of ANY Officer of the Court within the boundaries of the State of California.

Watch it get fixed

• Mike
      Mike 2 January, 2020, 13:10

Yes indeed. Dork has hit the nail on the head. Matter of fact, publish a list of all Judges, Members of Legislature, County and City Government politicians home addresses. Add directions on how to get to these homes. Distribute this list to all homeless bums. Not only watch this get fixed, watch it get fixed so fast your head will spin and fall off your shoulders.They will only take swift action when all the bums are camping, crapping and urinating outside the windows of their gate-guarded homes.

• Chuck4084
      Chuck4084 11 January, 2020, 10:54

I would add a mandate that every elected official have at least 10 homeless people camping in their backyard. Somehow I don’t think that Pelosi, Feinstein, Schiff and the other limousine liberals welcome the homeless to their neighborhood with open arms.

7. edryan221
    edryan221 4 January, 2020, 21:04

Being Pussified… Life With Her Doing ‘Bubble Love” COMEDY BY ED RYAN, [email protected],maiul.com

: I HATE WHEN I GETA GOOD IDEA AND MY PARTNER VETOS On AUTOMATIC ‘”NO” SHE DELIVERE AS SHE IS G;SAZED EYED AT TV
    my girl is ambidextrous, I’m under her thumb, but she’s squeezing my balls. Think about it, how the fuck does she do that? I can’t really tell how’s she’s doing it cuz I’m under her thumb getting my ball as squeezed… every time I try to take a look at her techniques, or light lay some charm stops me, usually it’s just her thump pushing down harder, but when I get energized she’s right there with the ball squeeze and I’m down . the under-thumb ball squeeze move is like some wrestling movie she learned … a fucking full nelson. totally dominated with her ability to reach around for the terminate ball squeeze (TBS) the tbs is her go to shut me down when I’m overdoing my hobby, according to her. yea my hobby. yes my hobby involves interaction. but come on the tbs is hurtful beyond the squeezed ball feeling, it’s a rejection, a shut down. my hobbies is coming up with odd ball ideas and trying to sell them to her for application. usually I do my hobby while we watch tv at night she doesn’t want to hear it she’s more interested her Netflix crime flicks, I mean how can I compete with a gruesome scene like cops pulli9ng charred bones out of a fire pit. that’s when she takes me down with a Quick TBS, she turns to look at me and does it with blunt object words like “will you shut your fucking mouth I trying to listen to blab la bla” that’s it I’m down, totally pussified… of course I shut my mouth and obediently look star at the floor… that’s all you can do…try to dis obey and continue with my hobbies… talking shit. but good shit. when I talk shit, I do it right and it drives her nuts…. but good luck, it’s like I’m in some torture chamber with electrodes attached to my balls…. I speak, interrupt the show again, bam she hits you again. “Swill you please shut your mouth, your driving me crazy… ouch I get ball zapped… and totally comply…why. because that’s what you do… shut it down and play like your totally dominated… “start with the charm. slowly…because sheer’s still on guard afraid anything I say is talking shity when its actually me delivering charm. you got to do the proper modulation. Like “honey do you want me to rub your feet” that’s my move out of the TBS deliver charm she likes and for us it’s foot massaging. after 20 years I know what’s she likes. and I’m in position .. sitting on the floor eye level with her wrangled feet she’s resting on the ottoman. the FM ore foot message charm move if done right can totally flip things around. the trick is to begin gently messaging as your asking her if she wants a foot massage. It’s like smoking crack and blowing monster hits into the face… she can’t resist it feels too good to her and she loosens up on the TBS as you message… and. this is important… message the foot as you talk to her toes like you want to adopt them… toe talk totally mesmerizes and I’m free from her thumb ball squeeze move, and when I’m talking to her toes I deliver my odd ball ideas, what are those… well, just random stuff like having hot dogs for breakfast instead of toast.. and she cooks a good hot dog is ,she’s a pro under thumb ball squeezer, imagine what she can do to a hot dog, frying it up at 7am, telling her I want the works then listen to her dice the onions …the chopping noise telling me I’m making it happen. And I’m happy, I’m thinking,. What if my hobbies was stamp collecting instead of talking shit. I m now excelling at talking shit it’s my hobbie, I can say anything ..like “President Trunmp has got his head so far up his ass her looks like a warped dollar sign that needs to be punted to Putin so he can pucker his head through his mouth and tell Putin, look at me I’m the biggest asshole in the universe as I start a war with Iran so dead American soldiers can be used to rally the my idiot base… I’m president Trump , a dirty oligarch who is going to use “:mass murder” to keep powder. … .But what if stamp collecting was my hobbie a win for is finding a defective stamp……like when the stamp picture comes out upside down so the stamp pic of the DC Mall looks like a homeless encampment when its defective and all upside down.. and this it how it starts, in real time… the idea of a homeless encampment pic.. I mean that is a good idea to sell and I’m perfectly poised to deliver… the foot message is at that stage where I’m sliding my fingers through her toe jam slits… putty in my hands…they love the toe jam finger slide…so I start… ‘Hey babe what do you think if I wrote Trump asking him to order a LA homeless scene pic on a stamp so that at least the homeless guys on the stamp pic are working.. by being on the stamp…Take the stamp pic a outside they “Mid Night Mission at chow time San Pedro and sixth LA… a line skid row thugs and hoes right there on a stamp…the funky tents and ,maybe photo shop a log like feces with a sewer rat feasting,,, what a stamp pic what and idea.. yea right she puts me down with a ball squeeze so tight I whine in pain’ ahhh stop squeezing my balls” this is at the point she ‘s telling me I need professional help.. then we end it I tell her about the”LAPD vigilante crimebuster scandal where the California Attorney General Becerra is corruptly covering up for the LAPD. Becerra, Why does the Cal AG is refusing to investigate the complaint filed on 8/1/18…. real bullshit…google it I say and my babe finally likes the idea… but, the toe rub google move is tough (TRG,M) Your pro if you can deliver (GTFRGM) on a demand.. good luck eddie ryan LA kicking it , Killing it, Loving it.

8. susan couig
    susan couig 6 January, 2020, 13:29

People who own/rent and pay taxes should not have to be afraid of contracting serious infectious diseases, being attacked right outside their door steps, be denied access to public sidewalks, afraid to take their children to parks or the beach or to live with homeless folks in their neighborhood. This is an epidemic that needs a solution and not just complaints. We as a society need to get to the root of the issue – whether it be drugs, mental health issues, education, self help centers, etc. we should stop masking this issue and create some real solutions – if someone wants housing, food, welfare, then they should work to assist in its cost. I believe the homeless need to have a sense of self worth and simply giving out money, food, clothing, or shelter is not dealing with the root issues but instead making the problem worse.

• Standing Fast
      Standing Fast 6 January, 2020, 15:12

Agree. There actually are cities where they hire homeless people to clean up the streets. They are paid by the hour, enough to pay the rent on a room or studio apartment. They are screened first and if they qualify they can stay as long as they are working. Participants usually find a better job in a few months and move out. It is apparently very successful. It won’t get rid of all the homeless but it is a step in the right direction to helping those who want to get their lives together. Follow Susan Shelley on Southern California News Group.

9. edryan221
    edryan221 13 January, 2020, 19:34

InfraGard Corp A (PRIVATE FUSION SECURITY FORCE VETTED BY FBI) with Multi-Million DOLLAR Contract LA County IS Doing Community or Gang-Stalking. Many LAPD Crimebuster Vigilantes were Part OF InfraGard and Becerra now Protects CAL AG BECERRA REFUSING TO INVESTIGATE THE LAPD CRIMEBUSTER VIGILANTES BECAUSE CIVILIAN EMPLOYED BY INFRAGARD A MASSIVE SECURITY CORP FBI FOR FUSION CENTER HOMELAND SURVEILLANCE, NOW WORKS WITH LAPD DOING COMMUNITY STALKING(GANGSTALKING) AND ANTI-HOMELESS VIGILANTE HATE CRIMES ONTO TARGETED HOMELESS ALL OVER LA INCLUDING WEST VALLEY. THE SEMI-SECRET POLICE AGENCY IS AS COUNTY SUPERVISORS HAVE PAID MILLIONS ACCORDING TO LA COUNTY CONTRACT WITH INFRAGARD. ALSO, THIS CORP. WITH TIES TO MORMONS CHURCH AND OLIGARCHS, IS NOW TAKING OVER S. CAL GAS. IT IS FOUNDED AND OWNED BY MILITANT MORMONS WITH EX- MILITARY
    I’M ED RYAN, AND FOR THREE YEARS I WAS VICTIMIZED BY THIS CREW OF ANTI-HOMELESS HATERS. F THEY ARE THE ORGANIZATION THAT GANGSTALKED OR COMMUNITY STALKED ME FOR THREE YEARS IN LA AS I WAS DOING POLITICAL ADVOCACY FOR LA CHARTER REFORM TO INCREASE SIZE OF CITY COUNCIL TO 40 BHY DISTRICT, SO LA VOTERS COULD ENJOY THE SAME CORRUPTION KILLING AND COMMUNITY IMPROVING BENEFITS THAT BOTH CHICAGO AND NYC HAVE HAD FOR OVER A DECADE. THIS IS PROGRESSIVE REFORM THE LAPD AND PRESENT CITY COUNCIL DOES NOT WANT, AND THAT MADE ME A TARGET . I WAS WRONGLY INCARCERATED 3 TIMES AS LAPD CHARGED WITH VANDALISM CRIMES FOR DAMAGE DONE ACTING IN SELF DEFENSE FROM THEIR AGGRESSION. WHILE BEING STALKED AND HARASSED, I WITNESSED THESE PEOPLE USE SOME VERY MILITARISTIC AND INVASIVE TECHNIQUES,. JUST DESCRIBING WHAT I SAW AND LEARNED CAN MAKE A PERSON SWOUND UNSTABLE AND THAT IS PART OF THEIR”GASLIGHTING METHODS TO SECRETE THEMSELVES IN PLAIN VIEW. THEY USED A LOT OF MILITARY GIZMOS OR SECRET TECHNIQUES TO DO THEIR SURVEILLANCE WOK. ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS I SAW THEM USE THUMP GUNS (KEPT IN TRUNKS OF CARS) WHEN I WAS HIDING AND THEY WANTED TO LOCATE ME SO THE GANGSTALKING COULD CONTINUE. The point of gang stalking is to never stop and induce suicide or self defensive behavior that allows LAPD to arrest and compose a false police report narrative that does not include information about the harassment that caused the behavior. If I was hiding , the general area would become covered with a mist they called “wash” . It was release from canisters with tear gas thump guns WASH. This happened over twenty times, in LA neighborhoods in middle of night. I researched mist and it is a cancer causing agent. it is a cold freon based substance that allows infra-red monitors to detect your body heat signature. THE SUBSTANCE ALLOWED THEM TO SEE WHERE I WAS HIDING BY USING AS SOMETIMES A PLANE SEEM TO BE BEING USED IN TANDEM OR SOME GROUND BASED MONITORING SYSTEM. Also they had ability to observe PEOPLE IN STORES AND RESTAURANT BY somehow ACCESSING THE SECURITY cameras. Security cameras in stores are computer based and they could monitor as images were sent to their phones. I ONCE OVERHEARD they used device to make a restaurant security camera ZOOM IN ON PAPERWORK OF A MAN AT OTHER TABLE AND SHIS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. They were also a mafia like crew and the corrupt LAPD and Them do identity theft gaining personal information this way. Last the could increase the illumination of street lights making a dark street more illuminated so they could find you hiding. They seemed to do this with small hand held device. THEY COULD LOCATE AND GET YOU BACK MOVING SO THEY COULD GANG STALK YOU UNTIL YOU SNAPPED. EXAMPLE ARE MY THREE VANDALISM CHARGES FOR DENTING CARS THAT WERE TO AGGRESSIVE. LAPD SWOOPED IN ARRESTED ME AND MADE IT LOOK LIKE RANDOM ACT OF CRAZED HOMELESS. I WAS HELD IN JAILED AND FORCED TO TAKE INJECTIONS OF HADAL A VERY STRONG ANTI PSYCH. MED. I WAS OFFERED EARLY RELEASE TO PROGRAM, but to get that deal I had to agree to take a HUGE MONTH LONG HADAL SHOT. I HAD NO PRIOR HISTORY OF MENTAL ILLNESS. This is IS AN OLD POLICE STATE WAY TO DISCREDIT SOMEONE VIA MENTAL ILLNESS LABEL. IN REAL LIFE, I AM TRAINED AS A LAWYER. I NOW WRITE AND DO POLITICAL ADVOCACY. BECAUSE InfraGard WAS INVOLVED WITH THE WEST VALLEY LAPD CRIMEBUSTER VIGILANTE CREW, THERE IS NO INVESTIGATION BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.
    ALSO THESE PEOPLE COULD HACK INTO TO COMPUTERS AT POINT OF PURCHASE BY ATTAINING INFORMATION OR CODES SOMEHOW ELECTRONICALLY AVAILABLE AS PHONE OR LAP TOP IS SWIPED BY CASHIER. I WAS GETTING HACKED IMMEDIATELY AS I BOUGHT ITEMS , AND I FIGURED OUT A HACKER I RECOGNIZED WAS BEHIND ME IN LINE. SOMEHOW THEY WOULD AND BECOME ADMINISTER ON YOUR PHONE OR LAPTOP BY HACKING INFO FROM CODES ENTER IN AT CASHIER
    ALSO, I WAS TORTURED 4 TIMES AND INCARCERATED FALSELY 13 MONTHS OVER 3.5 YEARS, NOW, I NEED TO FIND THE LA CITY ATTY FOR CIVIL CASE. ANY INTERESTED ATTY FOR CIVIL CASE EMAIL ME AT 4138635592 THANK YOU
    ……………………………………………………….

2018, 3 different police whistleblowers told us, the Gangstalking operations are run from the Fusion Centers. The details can be found in government reference documents in “The Governors of Gangstalking.”
    The Director of the Fusion Center in each state, is the criminal Boss for these operations. You might think of these people as a “mafia boss.”

In my opinion, the people on this chart have led the Gangstalking Program for greater Los Angeles, for many years. The federal government calls it a Fusion Center.

The people working at the JRIC assume, that if someone’s name appears on the Watchlist, the stalking and harassment is justified, even if it is illegal. It never occurs to these idiots to ask – “Should this person even be on the Watchlist?” or “Why is this person on the Watchlist?”

Federal Judge Anthony Trenga, decided that the Watchlist is Unconstitutional, because the FBI failed to provide any shred of evidence, that someone was a “known or suspected terrorist.”

Targeted Individuals are not terrorists. They are gangstalked because they are whistleblowers and political activists, etc. The CIA wants them silenced, and funds this program through the black budget.

Joint Regiol Intelligence Center – Los Angeles
    12440 East Imperial Highway Norwalk, CA 90650 (562) 345-1100:
    [email protected]

Steve Oda, FBI
    Robert Fox, LAPD (now retired)
    Robert Galarneau, LA Sheriff’s Dept

Alex Vargas, Jr – Deputy Director
    Joel Cohen, Manager of Intelligence
    Mark Tharp, Manager of Operations
    Senior Managers working with JRIC
    Alejandro Vargas, Jr and Cynthia Gatiglio have held management positions at the JRIC.
    In my opinion, they both know about, and support the Gangstalking operations. It is illegal.
    Picture
    Picture
    Cynthia Gatiglio, 48
    aka
    Cynthia A Gatiglio, Cynthia Ortega, Cythia Gatiglio
    13828 Greenbrier Ave, Bellflower, CA 90706
    Related to
    Glen M Pool 98 Andrea M Ortega 70 Andred Ortega Bettyl L Gatiglio 80 Hilda Pool 50 Mamie Gatiglio Mark Gatigilo 51 Glen R Pool 47 Julian Gatiglio J Gatiglio ~84 Michael A Gatiglio 55 Ruby Ortega 44 Michael A Chrisafis ~55 Julian A Gatiglio 84 Javier P Ortega 74

Cynthia A Gatiglio, Age 48
    3636 N Rose AVE Long Beach, CA 90807
    (562) 492-5984

Cynthia A Gatiglio, Age 48
    9530 Maplewood ST Bellflower, CA 90706
    (310) 920-1057
    the opinion of Richard Lighthouse,

At the Los Angeles Police Dept, these two Assistant Chiefs are involved with Gangstalking Operations and the cover-up.

Counter-Terrorism and Special Operations Bureau (CTSOB)
    100 West First Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

Picture
    [email protected]
    Picture
    [email protected]
    Horace E Frank, 59
    aka
    Frank E Horace, Horace Grant
    Corona, CA

Related to
    Alana G Frank 29 Marcia A Case 55 Xin Yang Zhen 59 Norma R Young 76 Daniel J Young 47 Gayle L Young 78 Mary E Young 77 Faron A Young 52 Alec E Frank Gordon S Young 77 Michelle A Frank 53 Alan Frank 29
    Picture
    Picture
    Infragard

[email protected]

JRIC states that Infragard plays a important role in their operations. However, Infragard is little more than a privatized spying and stalking organization, in my opinion. This is done to avoid FOIA requests. Their people are recruited, trained, and tasked using the FBI’s “Confidential Human Sources Policy.”

Roger Rieger – President/CEO
    InfraGard LA

Cherie Kono – Executive Director
    InfraGard LA
    Cherie J Kono, 32
    Related to
    Albert A Cua 49 Dennis A Kono ~31 Dennis A Kono 35 Keith K Kono Domingo M Legarda 61 Amelia A Kono 61

Cherie Jean Kono

Indivíduo segmentado
    対象者
    Zielgruppe
    Diangkah Individu
    대상 개인
    Hedeflenen Birey
    Cá nhân được nhắm mục tiêu
    లక్ష్యంగా ఉన్న వ్యక్తి
    ඉලක්කගත තනි පුද්ගලයෙකි
    Individual vizat
    Məqsədli Fərdi

Proudly powered by Weebly

10. Trina Louise Gilmer
    Trina Louise Gilmer 13 January, 2020, 23:43

Too many hands on deck. There is more than enough money to fix this problem. But with so many with their hands out (that aren’t homeless) it gets wasted on temporary fixes. Just because someone is poor doesn’t mean their constitutional rights should be taken away. And yet most of these temporary fixes do just that. Being a sanctuary State while in the heat of a housing crisis is just bananas. We don’t have enough for our citizens we can’t keep giving the little we do to others ( low income housing).

11. edryan221
    edryan221 14 January, 2020, 15:22

Ed Ryan Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles 2022 Warns Biden On Garcetti anti-transparency for the LAPD Combustor Vigilante Racist Hate Crime violent Harassment onto LA Black Homeless

Why does Garcetti stay totally silent on LAPD Crime buster Vigilante issue. The Racist violent Crimes Happened to LA People by the LAPD, and the Mayor stays totally silent, that is corrupt sand it does not make sense. Joe Biden needs to make LA Mayor Garcetti stand up, and say he wants the LAPD Vigilante Crime Buster Complaint by WRAP to be fully investigated, and to end the racist Crime buster vigilante attacks onto a population composed mostly of LA Blacks. LA Mayor Garcetti needs to Acknowledge the LAPD Crime buster Vigilante Complaint that now is corruptly squelched by California Attorney General Becerra.
    The LA Times needs to be chastised for its racist tainted limited coverage of police vigilantes doing violent hate crimes onto the mostly black LA homeless population. And Why is the LA Times totally silent as it becomes clear Attorney General Becerra is refusing the investigation of vigilante racist hate crime by vigilante and police.

12. T Ted Trolly-Steele CPA
    T Ted Trolly-Steele CPA 8 February, 2020, 21:31

Wow— 5150 crazy comments out here on this one!

Aaaaaaanyway– Turns out Jesus wants us to help the homeless– I’m all in baby—- it won’t be easy republicans! But– we must endeavor to persevere. Dig deep!

13. edryan221
    edryan221 17 February, 2020, 01:19

To: LA Mayor Garcetti
    From: EdRyanMayorLA2022
    Date: 2/16/20
    The recall effort of Garcetti, sounds good on paper, the overall results will not be good. The recall is being organized by Republican Trump loving haters. Average hardworking LA folks are walking into a Trump/Republican elite trap doing recall. Perhaps Garcetti can get a pass and do his last 2.5 years, the right way, as penance. Maybe Garcetti can deliver real “Representational Democracy” to LA by
    supporting LA Charter reform to increases LA City Council to 40 district seats. If so, then finally, LA voters get to enjoy the same benefits and rights of “Representational Democracy” that have been granted to voters in NYC and Chicago for over a decade. With more voter participation, there is less corruption and better city services to all neighborhoods across the board. Of course the LAPD Command structure, the entire bloated bunch of overpaid LA Brass, is against Charter reform of this nature. Why? Because the more removed it is from the people of LA the better it is for the LAPD to continue on this corrupt path of abuse , sloth and lack of oversight. The people of LA do not want to be spied on and degraded by a Police apparatus that i9s suppose to protect and serve. I know for a fact the LAPD does, or supports, vigilante hate crime onto problem homeless and political advocates like me, who live as homeless to bait and expose the vigilantes and police who were the subjects of complaints by homeless folks. In fact the WRAP complaint clearly exposes the tip of the LAPD vigilante iceberg that is very real. Check it out. C:\Users\Ed\OneDrive\Documents\CAL. ATTORNEY GENERAL COMPLAINT LAPD CRIMEBUSTER VIGILANTE.pdf. The fact is that the present 15 members pay for play LA City Council is nicely under the corrupt thumb of the LAPD. Also, the racist oriented LAPD does not want LA Representational Democracy that empowers LA Black and Latino communities. The end result is less corruption and The recent LAPD scandals of Latino youth gang affiliation tagging abuse, and LAPD Crimebuster vigilante racist abuse, would probably not happen. Garcetti needs to end pay for play with behest paying billionaires like Rick caruso or corrupt businessmen Turf Terminator. Democracy is about for the people by the people, not what you can take from the people. See if you can turn it around Mr. Mayor, your better than recall republicans, but not by much. Maybe you can knock heads with your sanitation department and figure out the best way to eradicate the rat population downtown and on skid row. If they’re doing it in NYC and Boston, I have to believe, you all can pull it off. My suggestion, rat poison. lots of it. I know what I am talking about, and am very familiar with the rat problem on skid row and elsewhere. I was on the streets during the last three years when your corrupt LAPD, and the even more corrupt, LA city Attorney’s office, kept wrongfully arresting and incarcerating me. I was repeatedly arrested for fighting back against the vigilantes who harass and violence to me. they came at me because I was all about exposing their dirty little “vigilante” thing. The did their best to shut me down with violence, corrupt incarcerations, and verifiable hacking. Now, because I have experience and education to initiate reforms get done much better in the future as I run for Mayor of LA2022, but they still try to shut me down. Right now I campaign from underground with an arrest warrant on me. The LAPD is looking to arrest me on a bogus probation warrant from my going underground when I was finally released from the last wrongful incarceration in March. The LA courts have been totally corrupted by this corrupt LAPD vigilante thing. How many other unhoused folks are wrongly jailed because they to fought back against vigilante harassment and were arrested quickly by LAPD units who just happened to be in the area, to support the vigilantes. No, I don’t want my day in court. I’ve been there, and as a former prosecutor, I can tell when chambers of justice are really chambers of corruption. And in LA, the verdict is, the LA courts are totally corrupted and are clearly, “chambers of corruption. LA neighborhood Prosecutors belong to LAPD crimebuster vigilante Facebook groups like in San Fernando valley, and they knowingly prosecute with LAPD police reports they know to be false. Not one LAPD Police report anywhere says anything about a homeless arrestee reacting to vigilante attack, yet it is fact, since the WRAP complaint, that we know this does go on routinely. Thus, I run for Mayor of LA, not only to police the police, but to do some real good things. We are going to build the needed affordable housing and LA folks who have it tough can finance through the public bank of LA that we will start. And just like LA annexed the port area, we are going to annex East Otay Mesa and created the Key corridor, or LA at the border. This is the growing of LA, thus validating LA’s world class status as the largest Spanish speaking city on earth. East Otay Mesa is perfect location as a brand-new border crossing goes on-line in 2023. Also working in LA’s favor is the area is unincorporated and in need of population. Besides the international economic and academic developments that will be the hall mark of the LA Key Corridor, I’m going to start working with Trump and Newsom to build a city of housing for the California homeless. This is long term, and it will take a world class city like LA to pull it off. This means long term opportunity for LA, but more importantly it is LA influence and love onto an area being divided by Trumps wall of hate. The LA Key Corridor will be an international beacon of America and LA at its best, By the way, Mr. Mayor, if I may return to the LAPD Vigilante issue. How come you never even mentioned the LAPD Crimebuster vigilante complaint C:\Users\Ed\OneDrive\Documents\CAL. ATTORNEY GENERAL COMPLAINT LAPD CRIMEBUSTER VIGILANTE.pdf filed by WRAP on 8/1/18 with Attorney General Becerra. It was published in the press and made very public in the last August. You totally, and still do, refuse to comment on the fact there is clear proof LAPD Crimebuster vigilante operations are being run out of all twelve of the Crimebuster groups across LA. Is the LAPD vigilante problem so big, so deeply rooted, that it is better left untouched? Now you still refuse to say one word about doing the right thing and asking Attorney General Becerra to investigate the complaint. The Latino gang affiliation scandal and the LAPD Crimebuster vigilante issue are example of a corrupt LAPD command structure and a warped, antiquated LAPD policing philosophy that needs to be totally modernized, Why? “Because we are them and they are us”, in other words, we are all one people, and we need to act that way for our own good and for the good of our children and our children’s children. EdRyanMayorLA2022
    See new Tweets

EdRyanMayorLA2022#EndLACorruption#Opportunity#Loe
    @ERyanMyorLA2022
    #Reform #StopLAPDLatinoGangAffilationTagging #BuildAffordableHouse #RepresentativeCharterReform #KeyCorridorLAatBorder
    #Reclaim Not Recall:
    Reclaim Democratic ideals Garcetti Once held Before Billionaire Behest Pay for Play: EdRyan 2022
    @MayorOfLA
    @LAist
    @HuffPostPol

14. Phineas Worthington
    Phineas Worthington 27 February, 2020, 04:45

The homeless issue is a systemic problem, a global systemic problem. Systemic problems are fundamentally rooted in monetary policy. It is no coincidence that the major uptick in homelessness correlated with the dramatic flooding of the world with cheap money by every central bank of the world in the last downturn. All that fiat money went into real assets, like houses, as a store of value as a hedge against inflation. Now, even though everyone is working and earning more, half the country still has no savings and can’t afford the rent.

The remedy is less government and more liberty. We need sound money. We need freer markets, more than ever.

15. Edward Ryan
    Edward Ryan 10 June, 2020, 02:33

I’m Ed Ryan , and I’m running for Mayor of LA2022. I did 6 months ( 618 to 12/18) in LA Men’s Central “Education Dorm” and kicked it with Drakeo quite often. The Drakeo is a really good person who is is .. I-N-O-C-E-N-T. Before moving to LA, I was a Criminal Lawyer in Mass for ten years. So I know what I’m talking about. Since 2015, I’ve been investigating the real LAPD dirt and getting jailed for it on and off, for the last three years. (see below) In Drakeo’s case, the DA, the LAPD detectives and the Judge are bigger criminals than Drakeo will ever be. The police in LA are corrupt racist who need to be stopped. In San Fernando Valley the racist LA FBI is ok with a crew of LA Sheriff deputies having racist white supremist tattoos. These same deputies have full access to the racist Palantir Predictive Crime system. They use the system and LAPD vigilantes from LA Fusion center to Hem- up people of color they don’t like. I wonder what role Palantir is playing to shut down Drakeo? We will never know because Palantir is a racist construct that requires police state spying on civilians to be effective , and it’s all kept secret. It was developed when the CIA financed racist libertarian Oligarch, Peter Thiel, who is Trump Lover, and full supporter of Racist Trump ‘Law and Order BS.
    I have no doubt Drakeo is being is innocent. I knew him and his crew well in jail. I did legal research and sometimes shared food with the blacks, and the Woods threaten a beat down. When I( told them no way was I going to hate like them, things got tense for me. I remember Drakeo Clowning the Wood shot-caller so it wasn’t going to be a problem.
    Drakeo is innocent all day long, but the criminal justice people in Los Angles are the dirtiest crew of lying racist ever to walk the earth. The LAPD shreds anything to do with the truth when it wants to convict someone of color who they can’t control. The LAPD is running this case not the DA and not the judge, The Racist Corrupt LAPD calls all the political shots in LA , and they are back by real dirty slime from the ultra-racist LA FBI. In any other jurisdiction Drakeo would be out NOW.
    In Drakeo’s case, the Prosecution clearly caused the mistrial through it’s totally racist prosecution theory focusing street lyrics. They demonized Drakeo and his artistic interpretations. In LA, racist courts support racist cops, and fill California prisons with people of color. It’s racism ugly evil at the utmost. In Drakeo’ case, the Prosecutors now violates Drakeo’s constitutional rights to a fair trial. The prosecution illegally gained information from the mis-trial they caused. Now they try to use that information to convict in a second trial. That is called ‘Double Jeopardy” and is unconstitutional, but not in LA when the LAPD have it in for a Black man who is making it with his art that people listen to. What a sick farce. And it is happening to a real good man, This is a man who has way too much love for life and people to be doing what the LAPD is trying to hang on him.
    The LAPD has metaphorically lynched a lot of Black men in their day with the racist three strike rule and phony murder beefs, and here we go again. Give me a break. This is the same LAPD who uses vigilantes and electronic harassment to drive homeless victims to suicide through continued harassment . Just read the ‘LAPD Crimebuster Vigilante Complaint “ below. What they do is wholesale manslaughter on a daily basis. Using LAPD Vigilantes to harass, threaten , confuse and depress, they ‘induce suicide” in homeless victims of color. Inducing suicide is manslaughter, these people have blood dripping from their hands.
    The re-trial of Drakeo is as racist as it gets. I will call for your release, and say that Govern Newsome should \step in and pardon ,now because the community who now protest in LA will not stand to see their artist from their streets lynched by a criminal racists wearing cop and court garb. Drakeo is not the Rapper that racist prosecutors try an hang, No it has been done before. In fact, the police and prosecution have handbooks on how to do it best. Drakeo is a LA artistic hero who has his back against the wall, LA needs to support Drakeo. I will follow this very closely, and expose every piece of racist dirt they use on him. I haste the racist injustice corrupting LA and preventing fairness to people of color. I hate it from the bottom of my heart. Drakeo is an innocent man. He is artist translating the street life to art. The LAPD just does not like that, especially since street lyrics in LA have a lot to say about LAPD and The LA Criminal Justice system doing racist hate crimes on a daily basis.
    Now, I run for Mayor of LA 2022 from the LA underground as the dirty police have a probation warrant to arrest and shut me down, again. That is not going to happen, I will stay underground and keep ripping the lid off the Racist Corruption that is real racist and way to sick to understand. We are talking about Oligarch greed as Billionaires like Rick Caruso bribe their way to profit from misery. They pay millions into corrupt pay for play, Behest Funds. Caruso and other luxury developers Build profitable luxury housing, they get a free pass, and don’t have to build the required number of affordable units. The end result, an LA for only the rich. In LA the lack of affordable housing can be traced pay off stopping Affordable housing from being built. No affordable housing for regular LA folks, that is sick. When I’m Mayor of LA our building Department will build affordable housing, We will use eminent domain to transform their office towers and hotels to affordable housing. My campaign slogan is “Take the Power”, and I mean it.
    Rick Caruso also the LA Police Commissioner who created the LA Community Police Division to be what it is now, a division of Spy rats who recruit civilian vigilantes from the Neighborhood Counsels across LA. These are the same neighborhood counsels created by 1999 Charter Reform that refused to give LA Voters real power via a large 40 seat City Council like seen in NYC and Chicago. LA voters get no power of representative democracy to stop racist corruption. The small LA City Counsel of only 15 members city is easily corrupted by LAPD strong Arm Threats and pay/play greed. The LAPD has full control, which mean the mostly unseen millionaire LA elite, and Billionaire oligarchs like Rick Caruso, who pay-off the LAPD Brass, have control.

See : Los-Angeles-AG-Complaint-update-20181.pdf, and learn how LAPD Vigilantes recruited by LAPD Topanga Community police SLO’s and LA City Attorney Topanga Neighborhood Prosecutor, use ‘LA Crimebuster Facebook groups to organize vigilante harassment stalk and constantly harass victims ( usually homeless person of color) by coming up-close into victims personal space to repeatedly photograph with their phones. The AG complaint is a 70 page (partially ser forth below) detailed document filed by attorneys for WRAP social justice agency. LAPD Vigilantes have harassed and caused me to be wrongfully incarcerated 6 times since 2015 https://youtu.be/WfOn1BM5BHw , as it is my instinct to fight back in self defense, These LAPD are used as “provocateurs’ by both LAPD and LA Sheriff, and use psychological “no touch” torture techniques borrowed from the hated Stasi secret police, It is unbelievable but very true, This horror of what they do is do bad and kept so secret that no LA elected or appointed official has made any comment about the complaint when filed with California Attorney General Becerra in October of 2018. His office has refused to investigate the complaint, The LAPD division of community police and sheriff are deeply involved in using the LA Fusion Center and are constantly doing surveillance LA Fusion Center or the Los Angeles Joint Regional Intelligence center. Palantir is CIA Financed Predictive Policing system that relies on racial profiling https://www.mintpressnews.com/palantir-the-paypal-offshoot-becomes-a-weapon-in-the-war-against-whistleblowers-and-wikileaks/236545/#.XuBX0rRC0QI. Why is this “LAPD Crimebuster Vigilante” complaint staying so quiet, that even the LA Times abides by the need to silence it.? The CIA and The LA FBI and Homeland Security are deep state entities with whom LAPD command have ‘Liaison” officers for. The LA Times has a record confirming CIA ties to the newspaper. LA Times reporters have been kicked out of foreign countries because they CIA agents masquerading as reporters. Yes, The LA Times works with or for the CIA. Reporter working for the CIA fired from LA Times, now …https://anarchimedia.com/2019/01/02/reporter…Jan 02, 2019
    The LA Times never asked Mayor Garcetti or City Attorney Feuer about it, and they never asked Attorney General Becerra why he refused to investigate the complaint, The reason is the complaint exposes how the rights of LA people are trampled daily by LA law enforcement and a Judicial system that knows all about it and cooperates in ways that corrupt LA courts and completely denies the constitutional rights of those targeted. people of color , and politic advocates like me.

Below is : Los-Angeles-AG-Complaint-update-20181.pdf, In you can read how the LAPD Community Police use Vigilantes from LA Crimebuster groups to Racially Harass.
    CONTACT Paul Boden, Executive Director, Western Regional Advocacy Project: [email protected] Tristia Bauman, Senior Attorney, National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty: [email protected] Steve Diaz, Deputy Director, Organizing, Los Angeles Community Action Network: [email protected] August 1, 2018 Updated November 20, 2018 Attorney General’s Office California Department of Justice P.O. Box 944255 Sacramento, CA 94244-2550 Dear Eleanor and Kelli, Similar to other communities in Los Angeles County, and across the country, the City of Los Angeles lacks sufficient affordable housing and emergency shelter to meet the needs of individuals experiencing homelessness.1 Without access to affordable housing and emergency shelter, homeless persons in Los Angeles reside in public and private outdoor spaces, leaving them vulnerable to a seemingly growing and alarming trend of anti-homeless vigilantism and abuse in California. 2 As Los Angeles has failed to develop and implement constructive solutions to remedy the city’s unsheltered homeless crisis, fatigued groups of private citizens have engaged in anti-homeless intimidation, harassment, and violence in an effort to displace homeless individuals from shared public space. Reports we have received throughout the state indicate that private groups – ostensibly organized around protecting public safety – often work in concert with local governmental actors, such as police, to intimidate, harass, or physically remove homeless people 1 The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority’s Homeless Count 2017 Report notes that around 34,189 people experienced homelessness on any given night in 2017; 74% of the 2017 homeless population was unsheltered and only 26% was sheltered. Per Tent City, USA: The Growth of America’s Homeless Encampments and How Communities are Responding, a report from the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, California had the highest number of reported homeless encampments in 2017, further demonstrating the lack of affordable housing and emergency shelter available to homeless individuals in the state. 2 No Safe Street: A Survey of Hate Crimes and Violence Committed Against Homeless People in 2014 & 2015, a report from the National Coalition for the Homeless, reports that the National Coalition for the Homeless has documented “1,650 acts of violence against homeless individuals by housed perpetrators over the past 17 years (1999-2015).” Of the documented attacks, the majority—334—have taken place in California. 2 and their property from public view. For example, private groups of individuals may partner with local law enforcement to evict a homeless encampment from public space without due process of law. Moreover, these private citizens often escape any punishment for their harassing, discriminatory, or even violent conduct because local law enforcement consistently fails to act upon complaints from homeless people and their advocates. Los Angeles is a place where vigilante activity against homeless people has been documented and reported, but to no avail. Homeless persons complaints about this activity have been ignored or insufficiently addressed, despite the City of Los Angeles’ stated interest in protecting homeless individuals from undue abuse. Indeed, the Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission is dedicated to addressing “divisive attitudes that can lead to inter-cultural tension, hate crimes and related violence” against vulnerable groups, including the homeless population.3 Therefore, we seek an investigation into the potential civil and human rights violations of homeless people in Los Angeles described below. 1. Potential Cyberharassment and Cyberstalking of Homeless Persons by Crimebusters Transient Homeless Encampments and Crimebusters of West Hills and Woodland Hills Members Residents of the City of Los Angeles navigate one of the most challenging rental housing environments in the country, and many individuals are too poor to afford permanent housing.4 Los Angeles also lacks sufficient emergency shelter to support those facing homelessness. Without access to affordable housing and emergency shelter, homeless individuals resort to residing in public and private outdoor spaces. Private citizens fatigued by a lack of governmental response to the city’s unsheltered homeless crisis have formed anti-homeless vigilante groups to facilitate the displacement of homeless people from the community. Such anti-homeless vigilante groups include the Crimebusters Transient Homeless Encampments (“CTHE”)5 and Crimebusters of West Hills and Woodland Hills (“CWHWH”) groups.6 3 Recognizing that the homeless are “particularly vulnerable, and often avoid contact with law enforcement,” the Commission has established the Homeless Victim Data Project to “build a comprehensive data collection system that will ultimately provide the detailed information necessary to better understand and address crimes against homeless individuals.” 4 According to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority’s Homeless Count 2017 Report, the “median rents for existing housing stock has risen faster than median income over the last 25 years,” leaving a large portion of vacant housing units unaffordable for many individuals in Los Angeles. In fact, Tent City, USA: The Growth of America’s Homeless Encampments and How Communities are Responding, a report from the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, reports that a majority of California renters “pay more than 30 percent of their income on rent, and nearly one third pay more than 50 percent, increasing their risk of housing insecurity and eviction.” 5 https://www.facebook.com/groups/2036526946631611/ 6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/WHWHCS/ 3 CTHE and CWHWH are Facebook-based communities comprised mostly of residents from neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley, including West Hills, Woodland Hills, Canoga Park, and Winnetka. As of June 26, 2018, CTHE, established in 2017, has 2,706 members, and CWHWH, established in 2016, has 9,632 members. The shared mission of the online forums is to “make our neighborhoods a safer place to live and help protect each other.”7 To actualize the goal of fortifying community safety and general wellbeing, the forums function as spaces for crowdsourcing crime-related news. CTHE and CWHWH assist “residents and community members in having one central place” to share photographic and videographic evidence of suspicious activity and criminal acts.8 While the forums’ purported objective of increasing community security is arguably benign, the forums’ actual function is to facilitate anti-homeless cyberharassment and cyberstalking, and/or the use of electronic communication to annoy, threaten, or harass. Several of the posts and discussion threads on CTHE and CWHWH discuss homelessness as a nuisance and threat to community safety, leading to the digital humiliation, taunting, shaming, and derision of homeless persons: ● Members have discussed using extreme means for punishing or displacing homeless persons: In a CTHE discussion thread from March 2018, a member discusses the idea of installing battering rams on vehicles to respond to homeless individuals walking through traffic [see Figure 1 in Appendix]. In another CTHE discussion thread from January 2018, members suggest several violent tactics for removing homeless persons from around a local restaurant: baseball bats, fire hoses, pigeon spike strips, Clorox, stink bombs, poison oak, and even “sugar solution spray” (“Every insect and ant will overwhelm them, as they have overwhelmed our community”) [see Figure 2 in Appendix]. Instead of developing constructive solutions for responding to the homeless presence in Los Angeles, cruel anti-homeless acts have been considered and threatened. ● Members have spread private and possibly defamatory information about homeless persons: In an effort to make members aware of potential community nuisances and threats to security, members provide information on homeless persons that is private and, often, that casts homeless persons in a negative light. Such information includes names and information regarding homeless individuals’ identity, criminal records, mental health status or treatment history, and history of drug or alcohol dependency. For example, Sean Dinse, an LAPD Senior Lead Officer for the Topanga Community Police Station, has repeatedly used his capacity as local law enforcement to access and publicize sensitive 7 https://www.facebook.com/groups/WHWHCS/ 8 https://topangaareapolicefoundation.wordpress.com/about/board/ 4 information on homeless individuals [see Figure 3, Figure 4, Figure 5, and Figure 6 in Appendix]. In one particular case, in response to a member complaining about a homeless individual littering [see Figure 12 in Appendix], Officer Dinse shared a screenshot of a law enforcement database entry displaying the homeless individual’s personal information [see Figure 7 in Appendix]. Such invasions of privacy and use of personal information to target and potentially defame homeless people may violate existing laws. They also increase homeless persons’ general vulnerability to targeted abuse, and they help to fortify anti-homeless sentiments. ● Members have captured and shared photographs and videos of homeless persons and their property without consent: Several posts in CTHE and CWHWH feature photographs and videos of homeless persons and their property. Oftentimes, such posts are accompanied with text that associate the homeless individuals with unfavorable characteristics (e.g. laziness, uncleanliness, criminality), inciting anti-homeless sentiments [see Figure 8, Figure 9, Figure 10, and Figure 11 in Appendix]. While the photographs and videos are disseminated with the intent to alert members to suspicious activity and criminal acts, the content, instead, invites the violation of homeless persons. For example, in a August 2017 CWHWH post, a member accuses a homeless individual of littering and shares a series of photographs of the individual’s belongings, including his car [see Figure 12 in Appendix]. The member prompts others in CWHWH to “[n]otice Mr. Perelman’s license plate.” The sharing of the photographs with identifying information intrudes upon the homeless individual’s privacy and potentially makes the homeless person vulnerable to targeted abuse. In another case, an Admin for the CWHWH group posted a photograph of a homeless individual’s car and encouraged members to help them locate the car seemingly for displacement [see Figure 13 in Appendix]. Again, such content potentially leaves homeless individuals open to targeted harm (in this case, the potential destruction or displacement of personal property with help from Sean Dinse, the aforementioned LAPD Senior Lead Officer for the Topanga Community Police Station [see Figure 13 in Appendix]). Also, the galvanizing effect of the post speaks to the organized, collective nature of CTHE and CWHWH. ● Members have generally participated in anti-homeless rhetoric and behavior: The members of CTHE and CWHWH regularly engage in digital behavior that degrades the homeless population in Los Angeles. Members have referred to homeless people as “[l]ow life scum” [see Figure 2 in Appendix], “lemmings” [see Figure 14 in Appendix], and other derogatory names. Members have used images of homeless individuals to create and share distasteful memes, including a “Happy Birthday” image addressed to 5 Sean Dinse, the aforementioned LAPD Senior Lead Officer for the Topanga Community Police Station [see Figure 15 and Figure 16 in Appendix]. In addition, members have used the forums to conspire to destroy the property of homeless persons. In one discussion thread, one member asks another to “group up” and target an identified homeless person by throwing “his [expletive] in the dumpster” [see Figure 17 in Appendix]. When members questioned the legality of performing such actions, such consideration of legal ramifications were rendered inconsequential (“I welcome LAPD to prosecute me”). The community safety concerns supposedly motivating such anti-homeless rhetoric and behavior are further called into question when considering other content posted in CTHE and CWHWH that is violent for the sake of being violent. In one discussion thread, a member asks, “Is there anything that we can do to make these vagrants scared of us instead of the other way around?” [see Figure 18 in Appendix] In response, another member comments, “Ha this page went from observe and report to cattle prods and firecrackering them in some kind of bum war, Now things are getting interesting lol.” More comments suggesting other ways to incite fear in homeless individuals (e.g. using stun guns) are also found in the thread. In a separate discussion thread, in response to a post concerned about the presence of a homeless individual in an outdoor public space, a member suggests an especially violent solution: “Lynch him!” [see Figure 19 in Appendix] Such anti-homeless sentiments and discussions are not only generally ethically questionable, but are also in violation of the groups’ own delineated guidelines: the description for CWHWH notes that there is no tolerance for “any Mean-Negative or Inappropriate comments or posts,” “Shaming,” or “Rude or Negative Behavior.”9 Beyond Facebook, the activities of the online forums have spread and been mimicked in other media, including radio: an Admin for the CWHWH group recently shared a link to a local radio station’s web page that encourages local citizens to submit and share photographs as evidence of a “vagrant invasion” in “Los Angeles and Orange Counties.”10 Under California’s criminal law, there are statutes that may define the above activity as cyberharassment and cyberstalking, consequently prohibiting such activity.11 While digital 9 https://www.facebook.com/groups/WHWHCS/ 10https://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/2018-05-14-how-has-the-homeless-problem-affected-your-neighborhood-send -us-photos/ 11 Section 653.2 of California Penal Code 653.2 prohibits the use of an electronic device to distribute identifying information of a person to incite others to harm or harass that person. Section 653m of California Penal Code 653.2 proscribes a person from making repeated phone calls or electronic communications with the intent to annoy or harass another person. Also, Section 422 of California Penal Code 422 criminalizes threats to kill or physically harm someone over electronic communication. Content found in CTHE and CWHWH may also constitute defamation, libel, and the intentional infliction of emotional distress. 6 anti-homeless actions are not physical, such actions still engender a sense of fear in homeless persons and contribute to a social climate that justifies conflict and, specifically, the victimization of those navigating homelessness. 2. Participation of Local Law Enforcement in the Potential Cyberharassment and Cyberstalking of Homeless Persons In instances where an individual is being subjected to harm, local government actors, especially local law enforcement, should be readily available to provide relief. For homeless persons victimized by the anti-homeless activity of CTHE and CWHWH, local law enforcement has historically not been a reliable source of assistance. In fact, it appears that local law enforcement has failed to provide relief for homeless individuals victimized by anti-homeless vigilantism because it has supported and contributed to anti-homeless vigilante causes. Both CTHE and CWHWH were founded by Fern Peskin-White, a former member of the West Hills Neighborhood Council’s Homelessness Committee, a board member of the Topanga Area Police Foundation, a volunteer with the Topanga Community Police Station, and an Admin for CTHE and CWHWH. Peskin-White has repeatedly maintained that CTHE and CWHWH operate in collaboration with the Topanga Community Police Station in Los Angeles. In their biography listed on the website for the Topanga Area Police Foundation, Peskin-White notes that they created a “Facebook Group for our community called ‘Crimebusters’” that runs “with the help of 7 Senior Lead Officers from the Lapd Topanga Division.”12 On CTHE and CWHWH, Peskin-White has continued to claim that local law enforcement is in support of and encourages the activity of the groups. In one discussion thread, for instance, Peskin-White insists that posted content is “legal” because “police run this page” [see Figure 20 in Appendix]. In another discussion thread, Peskin-White responds to critics of the officers of the Topanga Community Police Station by stating, “we’ve All been so very lucky to have them here as our Admins since the day I created this group” [see Figure 21 in Appendix]. Some individuals involved with the maintenance of content within CTHE and CWHWH are individuals employed by the Topanga Community Police Station: ● Sean Dinse is an LAPD Senior Lead Officer for the Topanga Community Police Station. As noted under “Potential Cyberharassment and Cyberstalking of Homeless Persons,” Dinse has repeatedly used his position as local law enforcement to locate and share private and potentially defamatory information on homeless individuals. Of note, Dinse 12 https://topangaareapolicefoundation.wordpress.com/about/board/ 7 has established a pattern of offering sensitive information to the groups’ members upon request, demonstrating his active involvement in the anti-homeless vigilante acts of CTHE and CWHWH [see Figure 5 in Appendix]. Dinse has operated as an Admin for CWHWH in the past. ● Brent Rygh is an LAPD Senior Lead Officer for the Topanga Community Police Station. Similar to Dinse, Rygh has participated in posting content within the groups. In one particular CWHWH August 2016 post, Rygh shares a post where they caution members not to offer money to homeless people, for “[i]t’s nearly impossible to tell what kind of person you are giving your money to and what they are using it for” [see Figure 22 in Appendix]. Such content contributes to a societal narrative that homeless people can be deceitful and, generally, dangerous. Additionally, Rygh has confirmed that CTHE and CWHWH are products of the united efforts of local law enforcement and Peskin-White. In an August 2016 CWHWH post, Rygh writes, “Fern Peskin-White began this group in close collaboration with local Senior Lead Officers and worked with us to develop rules and practices would be employed before launching” [see Figure 23 in Appendix]. Rygh has operated as an Admin for CWHWH in the past. Notably, other local law enforcement actors are members of CTHE and CWHWH, including Topanga Senior Lead Officer Duc “Duke” Dao, Topanga Senior Lead Officer Sean Brown, LAPD Deputy Chief John Sherman, and LAPD Watch Commander Amira Smith [see Figure 24 in Appendix]. Local law enforcement’s participation in sustaining CTHE and CWHWH is disheartening because its participation lends legitimacy and authority to the egregiously anti-homeless rhetoric and actions found on the online forums. Additionally, local law enforcement should be the first line of defense for homeless individuals seeking reprieve from victimization. With local law enforcement’s involvement in spaces that facilitate anti-homeless vigilantism, homeless individuals are unable to recognize local law enforcement as a dependable arbiter of relief. 3. Harassment, Intimidation, and Violence Against Homeless Persons by Crimebusters Transient Homeless Encampments and Crimebusters of West Hills and Woodland Hills Members Photographic and videographic content is circulated within CTHE and CWHWH. Such content indicates that members have had in-person interactions with homeless individuals involving anti-homeless harassment, intimidation, and violence: 8 ● Members have verbally abused homeless persons: In several videos featuring in-person interactions between homeless individuals and CTHE and CWHWH members, the members have engaged in the verbal abuse of the homeless individuals, performing name-calling, yelling, and threat-making, among other actions. In one notable CTHE video, a member confronts a homeless individual residing on a sidewalk during the evening. After inquiring about the status of the homeless individual (via asking, among other questions, whether or not the individual is [0:29] “high”), the member, around 0:40, questions why the homeless individual has not displaced themselves: Member: So when are you gonna clear all this [expletive] up and get out of here? Homeless Individual: I’m not cleaning nothing. Member: You’re not? But everybody wants you gone. Following the member invoking those anti-homeless sentiments, the homeless individual throws an unidentifiable object onto the sidewalk, inciting the member to aggressively and repeatedly order the removal of the item ([1:17] “Pick that [expletive] up!”). After the homeless individual refuses to pick up the item, the member because increasingly belligerent, resulting in yelling, more use of expletives, prejudicial name-calling ([1:44] “You don’t do [expletive]. You [expletive] lay on here on the sidewalk. You don’t do a goddamn thing”), and threat-making ([1:32] “Dude, you’re gonna have a problem on your hands”; [1:59] “I’ll turn this [expletive] camera off and make sure you pick it up”; [2:29] “Man, you got something coming, boy”). Such verbal abuse indicates that anti-homeless rhetoric is being invoked both online and in real time. The video described above is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gG9GIB_lWasLfELewlM_GVMheJL4iOMu/view?usp= sharing. Anti-homeless verbal abuse has been evidenced in other cases involving seniors (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FEMUYgEjgCgArj3rOyDa0N1bBO5ltBil/view?usp=sh aring) and parents with small children (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D0t7BIkEKOI90g_NmFAVcIsTnbOX_G2J/view?usp= sharing), regardless of actual or perceived homeless status. ● Members have repeatedly confronted and captured photographs and videos of targeted homeless individuals without consent: In addition to documenting one-off interactions with homeless individuals, members have also documented repeated interactions with specific homeless persons. For example, a homeless person given the nickname “Erwin” has been the subject of several photographs and videos posted to CTHE and CWHWH [see Figure 25 in Appendix]. “Erwin,” in fact, is the homeless individual being verbally abused in the CTHE video discussed above. Such consistent 9 interactions with specific homeless individuals that involve the aggressive capturing of photographs and videos of the individuals without consent potentially constitute stalking. Interactions with homeless individuals captured on video and in photographs indicate that anti-homeless sentiment and behaviors cultivated in the online communities of CTHE and CWHWH are escalating offline; in other words, these online exchanges have material consequences. This escalation must be curtailed to avoid serious physical and other harms to an already vulnerable population, which is disproportionately comprised of members of marginalized groups like people of color and persons with disabilities. 4. Failure of Government Actors to Address Abuse of Homeless Persons Local governmental actors in the City of Los Angeles have been made aware of the activity of CTHE and CWHWH. Yet, local government actors have not taken steps to effectively address acts of anti-homeless vigilantism, even with evidence that such vigilantism may be supported and sustained by local law enforcement. In fact, in several exemplary instances, local government actors have responded to citizen complaints and reports of anti-homeless vigilantism with inaction or ineffectual solutions: ● November 2017: An email was sent to an officer of the Topanga Community Police Station regarding the anti-homeless content circulated within CTHE and CWHWH. The only action taken by the Topanga Community Police Station was the removal of a few antagonistic posts. ● November 2017: An email was sent to an officer of the Topanga Community Police Station regarding members of CTHE and CWHWH displacing donation bins thought to attract the presence of homeless individuals. No response to the email has been provided. ● November 2017: An email was sent to an officer of the Topanga Community Police Station regarding the abusive actions of CTHE and CWHWH members. Specifically, the email detailed CTHE and CWHWH members aggressively encouraging local businesses to displace nearby homeless persons. Instead of offering constructive solutions in response, the addressed officer only requested that the author of the email identify themselves, and not remain anonymous, in order to have an “adult” exchange. ● December 2017: An email was sent to the Los Angeles Police Department’s Special Operations Division regarding the shaming, bullying, and potential stalking of homeless individuals facilitated by CTHE and CWHWH. No response to the email has been provided. 10 ● January 2018: A email was sent to the Los Angeles Police Department’s Special Operations Division regarding the potential cyberharassment and cyberstalking taking place within CTHE and CWHWH. No response to the email has been provided. ● January 2018: An email was sent to the Los Angeles Police Department’s Internal Affairs Group regarding the potential cyberharassment and cyberstalking taking place within CTHE and CWHWH. In response, an investigation into the information the email provides was initiated. As of June 26, 2018, no follow-up has been provided on the status of the investigation. ● February 2018: An email was sent to an officer of the Topanga Community Police Station regarding the potential cyberharassment and cyberstalking taking place within CTHE and CWHWH. No response to the email has been provided. ● On separate occasions, calls were made to the Topanga Community Police Station and the LAPD to report the anti-homeless vigilante activity of CTHE and CWHWH. During a majority of the calls, help was offered but never actualized. Following several exhibits of anti-homeless harassment, intimidation, and violence, both physical and digital, individuals facing homelessness have not been able to rely on local government actors to refrain from or protect them from ongoing harm. Local government actors’ lacking or ineffective action against anti-homeless vigilantism both allows the continuation of anti-homeless vigilante acts and, more generally, establishes the idea that anti-homeless rhetoric and behavior are not egregious enough to warrant redress. While California’s hate crime legislation does not consider homelessness a protected status, homeless people often are members of protected classes that have historically been targeted for similar forms of harassment, intimidation, and violence.13 In the City of Los Angeles, such harassment, intimidation, and violence appear to happen in the form of anti-homeless vigilantism, necessitating that homeless individuals of the city—citizens of the city—be provided pathways to relief. Anti-homeless vigilantism, without consequences from local government actors, not only brings harm to those navigating homelessness, but also harms communities by deteriorating the relationship between the unhoused and their housed neighbors; escalating conflict. In fact, the February 26, 2018 minutes of a West Hills Neighborhood’s Joint 13 Several homeless individuals who have been violated by CTHE and CWHWH to some capacity have identities (e.g. are disabled) that are in fact protected identities, making the documented abuses intersectional abuses. 11 Homelessness Committee board meeting notes that committee co-chair Thomas Booth expressed “concern about recent trends on social media” and asked committee members to “step back and make an effort to bring both sides together to find solutions for homelessness without inflaming community members.” Additionally, in a March 15, 2018 article from local publication Valley Vantage, “Word on the Street: Homeless Foes Have Gone Too Far,” local writer Kathleen Sterling admonishes those who: “hide behind their computer screens hurling vitriol out on social media,” when responding to homelessness in Los Angeles. Furthermore, anti-homeless vigilantism harms the Los Angeles community by staining the city’s reputation among civil and human rights advocates, and undermining the city’s stated effort to secure justice and protection for marginalized and oppressed people. We ask for an investigation into vigilantism as described above in Los Angeles, and also into the growing trend of anti-homeless vigilantism throughout California. We are happy to provide you with additional information upon request, and we would welcome a meeting to discuss these issues further. We look forward to hearing from you. Yours truly, Paul Boden, Executive Director, Western Regional Advocacy Project Tristia Bauman, Senior Attorney, National Law Center on H

16. Gunawan Dewa Saputra