Schwarzenegger’s Bizarre Analysis

Steven Greenhut: I love it when politicians have their chance in power, squander their opportunities, then spend the rest of their career lecturing us about how to reform government. Arnold Schwarzenegger was not just a disappointment, he was a fraud — and a particularly embarrassing one at that. Now he is playing martyr, suggesting that the Republican Party is “too narrow” and rigid. In Politico, he points to the departures from the GOP of Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, a man whose only political principle is the advancement of his own career, and Anthony Adams, as terrible losses for the party:

That’s why I am so bothered by the party’s recent loss of two up-and-coming Republicans: San Diego mayoral candidate Nathan Fletcher, currently a state assemblyman, and former assemblyman and current Congressional candidate Anthony Adams, both of whom left the party to become independents. On the one hand, I respect their standing up for principle. On the other, I hate to see them go.

In what bizarro world are those unprincipled, tax-hiking, union backers up and comers in the GOP? In what way is their departure any sort of loss for the GOP?

There’s so much wrong with this analysis that it’s hard to know where to start. Republicans rallied to the side of Schwarzenegger, which hardly suggests a refusal by the party to back moderates. They abandoned him when he abandoned any semblance of Republican principle. I disagree with Republicans on many issues. I can’t stand how they embrace law and order, vote to reduce freedom by continuing the drug war, and on and on. But the party at least tries to, at some level, hold the line on government growth and higher taxes. Most Republicans I know are more than willing to support the Schwarzeneggers, Adamses and Fletchers of this world on social issues, but when that crowd embraces higher taxes, additional regulations and become union toadies, then what’s the point?

Isn’t a party supposed to have some standard?

The problem with GOP moderates — who often are far less tolerant toward differing opinions than the right-wingers — is they end up standing for nothing at all. Try to explain in a few sentences what any of the above-mentioned politicians believe in beyond advancing their own political power and careers? All of them were tried-and-true Republicans when it suited them and then they declared that the GOP is too narrow-minded when it no longer suited them. I could respect people who make their stand when there is something to lose — but the positions they take always run parallel to what is best for their career. Fletcher is the most hilarious example — a GOP partisan until the party backed someone else. Then all of a sudden he discovered that the GOP is too conservative and tried to act as if he left out of principle.

And why don’t these folks ever talk about the lack of diverse opinion within the Democratic Party, which in California has become nothing more than an arm of the public-sector unions? Then again these moderate Republicans often are supportive of the public employee unions.

Schwarzenegger cannot revive his legacy by blaming the party to which he belonged — a party that remains a minority and keeps getting smaller thanks in part to his continued destruction of the brand. Yes, the California GOP needs to change. It needs to embrace a more libertarian agenda that advances less government in all areas of life. It needs to connect more with the culture of this state. The party did itself no service in backing the corporate-welfare whores who tried to save redevelopment. But the California GOP should not look to this crowd as it seeks to rebuild itself in a way that will save not only the party but this state.

MAY 6, 2012

No comments

1. Bob
    Bob 6 May, 2012, 17:56

Ahnode is a liar, fraud, huckster and saying he is an embarrassment is a great understatement.

It’s absurd that anyone would give him an ounce of credibility.

His whole political career was all about his ego and his deep lust for power.

But give him several years and I bet the Colliefornia (as Ahnode sez) voters will elect him to the Imperial Senate if he decides to run.

A decade from now your choice could be a fossilized Dianne [email protected] or Ahnode.

2. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 6 May, 2012, 19:51

What a schweinehund he is. The final straw for me was when he commuted the homicide sentence of Fabian Nunez’ kid as he walked away from the governor’s office. That was unforgiveable. Pig dog!

No surprise to me that he supports Anthony Adams and Fletcher. Birds of a feather. All three of them probably hit the jacuzzi together on the weekends, drink schnapps and smoke austrian cigars.

No idea how Arnold has the gumption to show his face in public after that failed display of governance. Maria dumped him and most of the California people deplore him. Why would he stay in California? To hang out in Hollyweird where all the little starlets and white shoe boys fawn all over him? Go back to Austria, Arnold. Go run for the schwinehund catcher job there.

3. Bob
    Bob 6 May, 2012, 20:21

Go back to Austria you say Mr. Bub?

Not a chance. He’ll hang out in Hollyweird for 6 more years then run for the Imperial Senate. And knowing Colliefornian voters, they will elect him in a landslide.

4. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 6 May, 2012, 21:24

I respectfully disagree with ya there, Bob. I think the great austrian flim-flam man burned his bridges with the people of California. I think when he commuted half of more of the homicide sentence of Nunez’ son – that sealed his fate in this State as far as politics go. Will people go see his movies or buy his books? I would hope not – but I have less faith there. Californians are easily conned with superficial Hollyweird crap. I could very well be wrong – but that’s my gut feeling.

I was being facetious about him going back to Austria, btw. He’s so full of himself that he thinks that he has the juice to mount a comeback and win the hearts of Californians. Whenever I see him on TV I visualize slime dripping off of him.

5. Mike Spence
    Mike Spence 6 May, 2012, 21:59

Well said Steve. During his years in office not only did the Governor confirm to the state that he is a liar and snake oil salesman, he did real harm to the GOP “brand”.

Unfortunately too many Republicans sacrificed allegedly deeply held principles in the name of support “our guy”. His current irrelevance is now only overshadowed by his historic place as the worst Governor in modern times.

Although, I do agree that sometimes the Republican Party is too narrow. The party too often narrows itself by supporting elected officials and their policies simply because they have an “R” after their name. The narrowness of blind allegiance to politicians instead of trying to restore limited constitutional government and our freedoms is much more menacing to the political health of the GOP.

6. Rex The Wonder Dog!
    Rex The Wonder Dog! 7 May, 2012, 10:02

LOL…I read that op ed piece and tossed my cookies.

If you read the comments nearly 100% of them called him a loser.

Arnold and Obama, the two biggest mistakes I ever voted for.

7. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 7 May, 2012, 10:13

The schism between the “D” and the “R” are total myths. What you have is one hand washing the other. Oh, when the cameras are turned on they fight like cats and dogs to put on a good performance for the peasants and sheeple. But in the cigar smoke-filled back rooms it’s nothing but back slapping and who can tell the best constituent joke. Anthony Adams was a total backstabber when he voted for higher taxes AFTER he signed a written pledge for his constituents (who have him their money and votes)and VOWED not to support any new tax!!! Anthony Adams is a FRAUD! And after he was forced from office his republican buddies arranged a nice $150,000 a year commission seat on the parole board!!! LOL! And same with Abel Maldonado!!! He pulled the same crap as Adams and the republicans almost unanimously voted to confirm him as the Lt. Governor – until he was ousted by bubble-head Gavin Newsome!!! LOL!

The 2-party system is a total farce and sham. Bad actors who look you right in the eye and lie to you while asking you to give them money!!! LOL!

Like nomads on the high deserts dressed is shawls and head dresses selling you snake oil medicine!!! I have 10x’s the respect for the nomads than I do for a politician!!! At least the nomads help fuel the economy – even if they take money from imbeciles!!!

8. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 7 May, 2012, 10:20

“Arnold and Obama, the two biggest mistakes I ever voted for”

Don’t feel bad, rex. I voted for Arnold too. I also swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker all the way down to the gut. I never allowed Obama to get into my head. Nor McCain.

But in the words of that wise sage GW Bush “Fool me once and shame on me. Fool me twice and I won’t be fooled again” heh.

Jay Leno should coax Arnold back on his show and demand an apology for the lies he told his viewers and the California people on his 2003 show. Naturally he wouldn’t do that because all the white-shoe boys in Hollyweird protect one another.

9. David in Irvine
    David in Irvine 7 May, 2012, 13:12

Steve, there is an expectation that “moderate” means that moderation runs the gamut on ALL issues, and that the GOP ideologues have predictable positions on both social and fiscal issues. Notice there was no mention of the other SD GOP candidates: how will Arnold and the media spin it if an openly gay fiscal conservative wins the GOP mayoral primary?

10. Bob
    Bob 7 May, 2012, 18:14

Bub, I can’t believe you voted for Ahnode.

I voted for McClintock and would have voted for Gary Coleman before Ahnode.

I wouldn’t rule out Ahnode making a come back, though. It would certainly take time but if the Colliefornia (as Ahnode sez) voters are dumb enough to vote for these corrupt politicians to steal even more of their money I wouldn’t rule out them electing Ahnode to office again.

11. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 7 May, 2012, 19:12

“Bub, I can’t believe you voted for Ahnode”

Yeah, I got sucked in, Bob. What can I say? I got bamboozled by his professional acting skills. And I take full responsibility for that. I mean the guy seemed so genuine and folksy when I watched him on Jay Leno in 2003. I thought he really meant what he said and since he was not a politician by trade – I believed him. Never again. I am not even going to vote in the large national elections in 2012. I can see it’s all a scam now so I’m not going to buy in. I might vote in a few local elections and for the props. That’s it though. I’ve seen the light.

“I wouldn’t rule out Ahnode making a come back, though”

I would. He’s done. Even Californians aren’t that stupid. They might pay to see one of his movies. But they won’t vote him back into office. And I would quadruple down on that one.

12. Bob
    Bob 7 May, 2012, 20:35

I would. He’s done. Even Californians aren’t that stupid.

I hope you are right, but I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve under estimated the Colliefornia (as Ahnode sez) voters.

I’m afraid a couple of more tough guy blockbuster movies, maybe a new wife and baby and cute little puppy and bingo, Colliefornia voters want to elect McBain to the Imperial Senate.

13. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 7 May, 2012, 21:42

“I’m afraid a couple of more tough guy blockbuster movies, maybe a new wife and baby and cute little puppy and bingo, Colliefornia voters want to elect McBain to the Imperial Senate”

I’m afraid if Arnold offers all registered Ca voters a free pass to Universal Studio and a bit part in one of his future movies that requires a scene w/ a large crowd – that might possibly tip the scales and get him a senate seat. The one who gives away the most free crap is generally the one who gets elected. And most Californians would love to be in a Hollyweird movie. It would give them bragging rights and make them feel like SOMEBODY!

The way these scoundrels act on earth there is no possibility they could believe in an afterlife. All of them have to firmly believe that life is a one-way trip and that there are no consequences for their earthly acts in the hereafter. Quite a gamble there. Boy, if they are wrong they are eternally screwed. Personally I don’t believe in all the crap I was taught in school but I do believe that the spirit does not completely die when the heart stops pumping. And I do believe that spirits carry baggage with them. In his next life Arnold will probably be a 85 pound weakling nerd who gets sand kicked in his face and works in a adult film theater as an upholstery cleaner.

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*