California’s new undocumented jurors

April 26, 2013

By Katy Grimes

The dead Boston Bomber, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, would have been eligible to serve on a jury in California, if state legislators have their way.

The Assembly passed a bill Thursday that would  allow non-citizens who are in the U.S.  legally to serve on jury duty.

Just when you thought the state couldn’t favor non-citizens any more, once again California is racing to be the first state in the country to pass a ridiculous law affording non-citizens rights previously reserved only for American citizens.

But that’s not all.

Law Books - regulations

Democratic lawmakers at the state Capitol are currently trying to pass a law allowing illegal immigrants to obtain a California driver’s license. Last year they passed a law allowing illegal immigrants to apply for and receive student financial aid benefits and state-funded grants for college.

But here is an interesting thought: The dead Boston Bomber, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, would have been eligible to serve on a jury since he was a “legal immigrant” but not yet a citizen.

This is what life in California has become under a Democratic supermajority.

“Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski, D-Fremont, said his bill, AB1401, would help California widen the pool of prospective jurors and help integrate immigrants into the community. It does not change other criteria for being eligible to serve on a jury, such as being at least 18, live in the county that is making the summons and being proficient in English,” the AP reported.

The bill passed 45-25 on a mostly party line vote. Only one Democrat voted no, while many other Democrats chose not to vote on the bill. Assemblyman Adam Gray, D-Merced, cast the only ‘no’ vote for the Democrats.

I had no idea there was a shortage of jurors in California. My husband was recently let out of jury duty since there were so many jurors to choose from in Sacramento County.

Democrats argued there is no correlation between being a citizen and a juror. And somehow because there is no citizenship requirement to be an attorney or a judge, Democrats claimed the bill was justified.

Republican’s however, called AB 1401 “misguided and premature.”

“Jury selection is not the problem,” said Assemblywoman Diane Harkey, R-Dana Point. “The problem is trial court funding. I hope we can focus on that. Let’s not break something that’s not broken now. Let’s not whittle away at what is reserved for U.S. citizens. There’s a reason for it.”

If you weren’t outraged over the previous bills affording illegal immigrants rights and liberties previously reserved for American citizens, AB 1401 should convince you that this Legislature is hell-bent on eroding what’s left of California.

1. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 25 April, 2013, 21:49

I beat you to it, Katy! LOL

When I heard this my head exploded.

2. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 25 April, 2013, 21:59

My apologies….I should have been more clear……my comment is number 10 in the “supermajority” story.

I, like the legislature, am not thinking clearly.

Can anyone imagine this being proposed, let alone adopted, even 20 years ago?

I’ve gotta join Mr Seiler in looking at those out-of-state real estate websites. (And to Mr Mehlman, who commented above mine in the supermajority story……no, it does not come down to a simplistic “California or Mississippi” choice. There are many other fine states. Tool.)

3. Hondo
    Hondo 26 April, 2013, 00:55

Hell, why not have felons serve on juries. Charley Manson would be a hoot in the jury room.
    Hondo….

4. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 26 April, 2013, 06:17

very funny Jimmy – I’m usually working on four stories at a time, from the Capitol… I need a Siri computer, so I can just dictate the stories, and they will post automatically in real time 😉

Isn’t this an outrage? It’s why I pointed out that the Boston Bomber would qualify as a juror under what Asm. Wieckowski has proposed.

Katy

5. Donna
    Donna 26 April, 2013, 08:39

I already wrote to my Congresswoman regarding how ABSURD this bill is. I asked what her position was, if she voted YES or REFRAINED, and why. I know many people that haven’t been called to serve on jury duty in over 14 years! A shortage of citizens, are these people in Sacramento serious.

Terrorist get lawyers! Soon American citizens will see their tax payer dollars used to provide terrorist with lawyers and perhaps soon these terrorists can be tried by their “peers”………

6. us citizen
    us citizen 26 April, 2013, 09:10

I saw this yesterday and was so freaking upset I think I set the record for high blood pressure and surviving.

So Jimmy…..let me know what kind of deal you got on a moving company…..Maybe they will give group discounts.

7. Justine Marie
    Justine Marie 26 April, 2013, 21:38

This article is incorrect and irresponsibly misleading and those of you who are equating potentially jury duty-eligible Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) with “terrorists” and “criminals” are frighteningly uneducated.

This proposed law has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with “illegal immigrants.” All illegal immigrants are noncitizens, but not all noncitizens are illegal immigrants. This bill seeks to impose jury duty obligations on LPRs, which includes people who have lawfully resided in the U.S. from periods of 3 or 5 years to people who have lawfully resided here for decades. It has NOTHING to do with “undocumented” individuals. Undocumented = people who do NOT have legal permission to be in the U.S., i.e. NOT green card holders. The headline of this article and what the writer is attempting to imply in it are 100% false and completely irresponsible. This writer and this website should be embarrassed.

8. Queeg
    Queeg 26 April, 2013, 23:34

Remember never get sick or ever be a defendant or you’re a GONER!

9. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 26 April, 2013, 23:38

We have May specials of boxes and related moving supplies for insecure doomers….We treat ya right!

10. Barb
    Barb 27 April, 2013, 08:24

The state has finally lost it! California should become its own country! (Now that would be hilarious!)

Hey Uhaul, I might take you up on that offer!