Fuzzy Math Lessons

The Sacramento Bee reported this morning that 79 schools in Sacramento are finding errors in their new $1.9 million math books.

What is truly amazing is that the districts piloted for math books for one month before deciding to use them.

It sounds as if it took parents to start complaining about the errors, although the story says “complaints from parents and teachers started pouring in.” Yeah, right.

I suspect that state legislators had a hand in writing the math books, trying to give this young generation a head start on fuzzy math. It will make voting on future state budgets much easier.

– Katy Grimes

No comments

1. EastBayLarry
    EastBayLarry 1 April, 2010, 07:22

All of which helps promote the feeling in students that math is inherently confusing and difficult.
    I’m not sure what was meant by “…voting on future state budgets…”, I’ve never seen a budget on any ballot I’ve voted, but it probably helps hide the ‘double counting’ and other math tricks Obama used in the healthcare bill.

2. StevefromSacto
    StevefromSacto 1 April, 2010, 09:29

Actually, the math books are produced by the same people who are writing the history books in Texas.

3. StevefromSacto
    StevefromSacto 1 April, 2010, 09:32

Ooops. I should have said “rewriting” the history books in Texas. The original history books were accurate, but that wouldn’t do for the Rabid Right. Now Texas kids will learn that Martin Luther King was a Communist and Joe McCarthy was an American hero.

God help us!

4. StevefromSacto
    StevefromSacto 1 April, 2010, 09:43

And speaking of history, THIS JUST IN:

Dana Rohrbacker and Tom McClintock have admitted publicly at a Cato Institute event that “the War in Iraq was a mistake.”

Do I hear an apology to those of us who were saying the same thing for the past eight years? Hell, no!

5. EastBayLarry
    EastBayLarry 2 April, 2010, 07:25

Steve,
    You can’t really compare a solid subject like math to a more fluid subject like history. It has been said that “History is written by the winners”, implying that the FULL story is seldom heard.
    Compare the to the unalterable fact that 2+2=4.

6. PRI
    PRI Author 7 April, 2010, 17:32

StevefromSacto:

I wrote editorials in the OC Register against the Iraq war from before it started, at least back to Sept. 2002 when I predicted it would be a disastrous quagmire, and until I left in 2006. Any why isn’t your man, Obama, fulfilling his pledge to end the Iraq War? We still have 130,000 troops there.

I’m waiting for an apology, too — from Bush, Cheney, etc., but also from Obama, Biden, etc.

— John Seiler

7. StevefromSacto
    StevefromSacto 15 April, 2010, 15:04

Good for you, John. Glad you saw through the WMD smoke and mirrors. But I’m waiting by the phone for an apology from Bush/Cheney.

Interesting that you complain about President Obama “not ending” the war in Iraq. He has set a timetable for an orderly withdrawal and is sticking to it.

Now when you have the Rabid Right screaming bloody murder because the president entered into a perfectly logical agreement with most of the world on nuclear weapons, what would they say if he was to suddenly pull all our troops out at once?

And if Iraq ultimately collapses into sectarian warfare and chaos when we’re gone–which I fear it might–will the Right put the blame where it belongs– Bush/Cheney–for getting us into that mess in the first place? Somehow I doubt it. They will try to pin the blame on President Obama.

8. StevefromSacto
    StevefromSacto 15 April, 2010, 15:05

Meant to say “I’m NOT waiting by the phone” for an apology from Bush/Cheney. I may be an optimist, but I’m not stupid. 🙂

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*