When I Went To Harvard …

Steven Greenhut: Did I tell you about when I went to Harvard* (on a class trip in seventh grade)? I’m just kidding. I never had such a class trip and I certainly never attended Harvard. But politicians love to inflate their resumes hoping that no one pays attention to the fine print. Inflating academic degrees is common. Assembly Speaker John Perez got caught in an embarrassing situation after it was revealed that he dropped out of Berkeley, and didn’t graduate as has been stated and reported repeatedly over the years. It doesn’t really matter and it’s not clear whether he or anyone in his office peddled this nonsense — even though his official bios until recently claimed that he graduated from Cal. Perez is a union activist who knows little to nothing about what makes a state operate successfully, dropout or not. He ain’t no brain surgeon. Still, pols ought to look carefully at their bios and the little fibs they might include. Voters don’t care and the potential embarrassment isn’t worth it. By the way, reporters are now looking at everyone’s bios. Stay tuned.

MAY 19

No comments

1. John Seiler
    John Seiler 19 May, 2011, 17:10

Well, I actually DID go to Harvard. When I was in the U.S. Army in 1979, they sent me to Ft. Devens, Mass., for some training. I took a bus in to Boston and Cambridge and walked around Harvard Yard.

I should put that on my Facebook resume: “Attended Harvard on a National Defense scholarship.”

2. Sol
    Sol 19 May, 2011, 20:41

You went to Havard, eh? Well, I went to Penn State…or was it state pen?

3. Steven Greenhut
    Steven Greenhut 19 May, 2011, 21:27

No chance I really went to Harvard. I went to George Washington University in DC. My sister went to Penn State though and it was a state pen. I’m not sure why people inflate such credentials. It’s not as if anyone really cares.

4. Shame on Me
    Shame on Me 20 May, 2011, 15:51

Well, some people who did go to Harvard (do care, very much. They’ve never gotten past the thrill of being accepted even if it was only to summer school. Nothing more pathetic than an old coot in an Ivy League sweatshirt.

5. GSL
    GSL 20 May, 2011, 21:45

We wrote about this yesterday. Not really sure why he waited ten years to correct the mistake, unless he really wanted people to think he was a Cal grad. And honestly, nothing against Cal, but if you want to lie about your credentials to impress someone, at least say you went to Stanford or CalTech. 🙂

6. Quang
    Quang 21 May, 2011, 05:16

I went to Harbor University.

Trump court pick could be consequential to California Teachers Association

While it may not be immediately apparent, Donald Trump’s victory in last week’s presidential election has deep implications for the

CA editorial boards cool to anti-Uber power play

The editorial pages of the state’s largest newspapers largely agree about Tom Torlakson’s being undeserving of a second term as

Down with Gmail!

April 17, 2012 By John Seiler I’ve used Gmail for years; including its address book. Now it’s not working. Just