Top Two not revolutionary — yet

June 5, 2012

By John Seiler

We’ll have to see how the evening goes. But so far, the Top Two has not proved the revolutionary move to moderation that its backers hoped.

In a key race in Orange County, early returns show that incumbent Assemblyman Allan Mansoor, R-Costa Mesa, is finishing first in the new 74th Assembly District. Republican challenger Leslie Daigle, whose candidacy was supported by Top Two sponsor Charles Munger, among others, is finishing third, meaning she’s out. In second place is Robert Rush, a Democrat. So the November runoff will be as in the past: the Republican easily trouncing the Democrat.

The 74th was supposed to be more “moderate” than Mansoor’s previous district, the 68th, which includes more conservative inland area. The 74th includes more of Orange County’s coastal area. Many onlookers believe, Daigle, had she won in November, would have been more apt to join Democrats in backing tax increases.

But it turns out there are more anti-tax realists, like yours truly, than were expected.

We’ll see how Top Two fares the rest of the evening…

No comments

1. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 5 June, 2012, 21:19

Daigle it appears has turned out to be a big disappointment for the moderates.

We just need Mansoor to stay consistent once elected and vote anti-tax and anti-public sector. We must remember – Mansoor is an ex-cop himself either collecting a pension now or entitled to one soon. I’ve have seen too many flip-floppers in the last few years to trust any of them.

Only watch what they do. Never believe what they tell you.

2. John Seiler
    John Seiler 5 June, 2012, 22:17

Mr. B: Those are all good points.

3. Ted Steele, Prosecutor
    Ted Steele, Prosecutor 6 June, 2012, 06:38

Monsoor is weak–I tend to agree John but “Mr B’s ™ ” fringe anti worker anti middle class mind numbing rhetoric is exactly why we have no moderate republican party. This will come back to haunt all of us over and over again.

4. Ted Steele, Prosecutor
    Ted Steele, Prosecutor 6 June, 2012, 06:43

On a happy note—- in California—I love the prop results and Di FI’s reelection !!!! Whooooohaaaaaaaaa!

5. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 6 June, 2012, 07:00

Prop 29 LOST, Teddy.

Prop 28 was a nothingburger.

Your side got steamrolled. Your pensions are going down. Your unions are going down. The people have spoken. You and NTHEOC, Skippy, Seesaw should get together and have a pity party!!! heh. 🙂

I don’t think DiFi will make it another 6 years. She’s ancient. The human body and mind has it’s limitations. There should be an age limit on high political offices.

Who do we reelect next?? Methuselah?

6. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 6 June, 2012, 07:07

Oh, I forgot – the 3 stooges in Fullerton got ousted from office too by landslides!!! Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news. IT’S CLEANUP TIME. THE PEOPLE HAVE AWOKEN!!! 😀

7. Ted
    Ted 6 June, 2012, 08:11

Beezytoolboob— Like I aid– the props were good….please read better. I LOVED the prop results. My cigs are cheap and I loved 28. Are you ok?

I was not very excited about the pensions– I do support some of the reform.

Sadly– both will lose in the courts. The bummer is the waste of money. The measures have blatant unlawful provisions in the first and second graphs. I hate to see the waste of time and money. There are certain reforms that can be made by enacting laws but the real reform will be (and has been) at the col bargaining table.

And the repub clowns from Fullerton—- I am glad!

Trolls discuss now–

8. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 6 June, 2012, 08:33

“I was not very excited about the pensions– I do support some of the reform”

Are you kidding me?? The only reform you want is to go from a 3%@50 to a 4%@45. heh. You don’t fool me. I’ve read tons of your crap. I read you like a book.

Mr. Math will win if this goes to court. Mr. Math is more powerful than 1000 judges. And when his hammer comes down there is no appeal either! heh. I know you clown hate the will of the people when it goes against you. You always look for other ways to weasel out of acting responsibly and in the best interests of the public good. Won’t work this time, Seymour. You’ve reached the end of the road. Time to get out and walk!!! heh. 😀

9. Wayne Lusvardi
    Wayne Lusvardi 6 June, 2012, 10:27

State Senator Fran Pavley lost to a Republican

Fran Pavley LOST:

10. Ted
    Ted 6 June, 2012, 11:42

Beezyoob (oc observeyboob)–

I support lot’s of pension reform things littloe fella– just not the unlawful stuff!

discuss now oc odd

11. Bill-San Jose
    Bill-San Jose 6 June, 2012, 12:33

Abel Maldonado is to blame for the move to the absolute one party rule of California.

Nice job you wannabe. I don’t know how you were able to chump the entire Sacto Republican establishment with this insane legislation.