Explaining Obama

Sept. 6, 2012

By John Seiler

I’m looking forward to President Obama’s acceptance speech tonight. I’m not a fan of his policies. But for all I pay for our Brobdingnagian Government, the least I can get is the entertainment of a well-delivered political speech by one of my tax-stuffed “servants.” Bill Clinton certainly delivered the goods last night. I expect the current White House occupant will as well.

What explains President Obama? A glowing USA Today profile, based on an interview with him aboard the president’s magic carpet, Air Force One, explained a lot.

On Mitt Romney’s complaints about the harshness of Obama campaign ads, the president giggled, “I would say that it’s a little ironic for a candidate who won the primaries telling his opponents not to whine, who just had a convention that was primarily devoted to going after me in ways that every media outlet has said bend the truth, and whose entire campaign has been built around assertions that don’t jibe with the facts — that he would want to spend most of his time talking about how tough we have been on him.”

Touche. You might remember how Romney ripped up Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and other GOP rivals.

‘Fair shot’

The topic came up of Obama saying to businessmen, “You didn’t build that.” The article didn’t provide his direct answer of the Republican attack on his statement.

But he did say how his speech tonight will be about how the country needs to “continue on a path that will lead us to a strong, secure middle class, robust economic growth, and a sense that our government is working on behalf of ordinary people to make sure everybody gets a fair shot, everybody is doing their fair share, and everybody is playing by the same set of rules.”

The president, away from the Telepromptr, has a tendency to string together phrases that don’t stick together syntactically. But here’s the key: “a sense that our government is working on behalf of ordinary people to make sure everybody gets a fair shot, everybody is doing their fair share, and everybody is playing by the same set of rules.”

Translation: Government is going to totally run everybody’s lives, all in the name of a “fair shot” and “fair share” and “the same set of rules.” It’s the government, and the government alone, that determines what is “fair” and how the “rules” are interpreted.

And if you don’t agree with what the government determines is “fair” and its interpretation of the “rules”? Then too bad. Then the government will take care of your business, your job, your family, your life. If you resist, then you can end up like the Branch Davidians, or spend the rest of your life in an orange jump suit at Leavenworth U.S. Penitentiary.

That’s certainly not the Old, Free America, where government only impartially enforced long agreed upon rules (in theory, anyway).

Fortunately, there’s good news. The amount owed by the federal government isn’t the $16 trillion debt mark just passed, which Republicans bring up to attack Obama.

The amount of unfunded liabilities — Social Security, Medicare, military pensions, federal-worker pensions, etc. — is $222 trillion. That’s with a “t.” There’s no way that can be paid off.

It’s like having a personal income of $70,000 and owing $1 million on your credit cards.

The federal government is bankrupt and soon will be downsized massively.

No matter who is president.

I can’t wait.

1. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 6 September, 2012, 10:53

The dems have had a brilliant convention. THE last thing this Country needs is to return to Bush policies that got our econ in the ditch. The Pres will do well tonight and of course in the debates.It is staggering to see the amount of good for the average middle class person that has been accomplished so far in his administration. From health care to Wall St reform to saving the auto industry to avoiding depression—-4 more years and then a statue in the mall!

2. Barb
    Barb 6 September, 2012, 11:17

Sorry, I’ll pass on the rhetoric! He can say all he wants but his record speaks volumes! That’s all the speaking I need! My hunch is a large majority of voters have already made up their minds with the upcoming election so viewership will be low tonight! March on!

3. Paul
    Paul 6 September, 2012, 11:38

I think as an American our Obama socialist government along with all the democrats have a different path for the rest of us to follow, not the one I believe in nor do I want. Just look at what is going on behind close doors in Washington. I just don’t know what the difference is between what Governor Rod Blagojevich did and what the present administration is doing by buying votes, which is bribery and pandering. This current socialist administration is double-dealing, lying, two faced and being the most corrupted administration in American history! I really wonder what they are really up to? Like selling us all out! I do not trust this socialist administration for nothing, for they scare the hell out of me. Just a few questions I would like answered. Where is the transparency? Where is the truth? Where is the bipartisanship? This is a double standard administration of lying to our faces and thinking we are all stupid and should believe them. Well I don’t. There is only one thing wrong here and that is our current administration is very flawed. We the people of America need to take back control of our country or we will have the United Nations running our country and our lives. So therefore we all need to stand together and fight the fight of freedom and vote out the incumbent leaders in this current socialist administration from the federal, state, and local levels.

4. Queeg
    Queeg 6 September, 2012, 13:23

Hug your boss or your governmdnt check. It ain’t gettin any better in Calif until Republicans see the light! Raise revenue….

5. EJ
    EJ 6 September, 2012, 15:09

A classic Seiler piece. I love it. Please keep writing about the important message of freedom John!!

Also, for your freelance pieces submitted to the OC Register, I would love to see you take the boxing gloves off a little and write some pieces attacking government even more! Please do this for me!! I am getting bored of the current editorial staff.

6. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 6 September, 2012, 16:15

Teddy, CA is going to destroy Clwon, that will be one BIG light!

7. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 6 September, 2012, 16:15

*Clown Brown

8. The Amazing Ted System
    The Amazing Ted System 6 September, 2012, 21:42

Of course– The President hit another home run tonight! He took the hope and change joke the teabaggers serve uo and gutted, filleted, cooked it and fed it back to them on a silver platter! Nov. 6 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 7 September, 2012, 00:12

It is going to be a close rwace, both Obama and Romeny are losers and will keep the staut quo, so doesnt matter which loser is elected…..

10. The Amazing Ted System
    The Amazing Ted System 7 September, 2012, 06:06

Unemployment comes down from 8.3 to 8.1 almost 110k new jobs— thank you Mr. President!

11. BobA
    BobA 7 September, 2012, 07:25

The Amazing Ted System:

Surely you jest, right? If you’re not then you are as clueless as the politicians who think the best way out of debt and deficits is to spend more money. If you are just kidding, then read no further.

By the way: in case you did know, if you are no longer drawing an unemployment check, you are no longer counted among the unemployed? Never mind that you can’t find a job and have given up looking.

Liars can figure and figures can lie. Only those who are, shall we say, math challenged believe the government’s figures without question. If you want to believe the liars then that’s on you.

12. BobA
    BobA 7 September, 2012, 07:39

Edward Steele, Chief Investigator:

The total US debt +unfunded liabilities is currently at $177 trillion dollars and rising. Tell me, in you best liberal opinion, why is that a good thing and does it matter to you.

Or is that all Bush’s fault? If so, then I have a dead horse that needs a good beating……

“The problem with socialism is that eventually, they run out of other people’s money.” –Maggie Thatcher

13. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 7 September, 2012, 09:25

A. It’s a bad thing.

B. Not all Pres Bush’s fault, but almost 5 tril is.

C. Labels are for the intellectually lazy.

D. I would rather build 110k jobs a month then shed 800k in a month. I would rather this President lead us out of this mess than the flag bearer of old tired policies.

E. Have a super duper day little buddy!

14. Queeg
    Queeg 7 September, 2012, 09:28

BOB A…..your cubicle cramped?

15. BobA
    BobA 7 September, 2012, 15:45

Edward Steele, Chief Investigator:

A. Bad thing? Is that it?
    B. Bush -5 tril in 8 years. Obama -5 tril in 3.5 years. Who are you kidding?
    C. The intellectually lazy are those who don’t examine the facts.
    D. You really are math challenge aren’t you? Over the last 7 qtrs, 1 job has been created for every 4 that has been lost. And that makes you optimistic?
    E. You have a nice day too. I hope we can continue to air our differences on other issues also. I might educate you yet!!

16. BobA
    BobA 7 September, 2012, 16:11

Queeg:

Cubicle? Never had one. As a senior staff engineer, I had a nice big window office for many years, Rank had its privileges you know. I’ve gave that life up 3 years and retired at the ripe old age of 53. I’m now on my dime and my time.

17. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 7 September, 2012, 17:14

Errr…Bob, how many times do I need to explain this to you before you can FINALLY figure it out-Teddy has two sock puppets, one is named Queeg…….OK get it now 😉

18. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 7 September, 2012, 17:15

Teddy, Obama is NOT creating 120K JOBS PER MONTH….LOL…man do you spin some whopper lies……. you 8th grade drop out reject 😉

Thanks for playing 🙂

19. Queeg
    Queeg 7 September, 2012, 20:13

BOBA….try work again. Your too too valuable to waste your proclaimed abilities on CWD.

Save us from ourselves-

20. Queeg
    Queeg 7 September, 2012, 20:15

Poodle. I am over you-

21. The Amazing Ted System
    The Amazing Ted System 7 September, 2012, 20:47

Queeg– How can you be over him when you are me?

22. Queeg
    Queeg 8 September, 2012, 07:28

Pity them….they don’t know not what they do…..they wear little white coats!

23. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 8 September, 2012, 11:25

LOL…Hi Teddy! 🙂

24. The Amazing Ted System
    The Amazing Ted System 8 September, 2012, 18:53

or straight jackets?

0 for 9 ™ lol

25. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 9 September, 2012, 03:24

11-0 on Nov 6 baby 😉

26. The Amazing Ted System
    The Amazing Ted System 9 September, 2012, 08:55

Little troll– if you won in Nov you’d be 1 for 10 ™ !! LOL

Poor troll! Want me to whomp you with more archives? LOL happy to!

27. BobA
    BobA 9 September, 2012, 09:06

Queeg:

Working again? For what? I don’t need the money. It was time for me to step aside and give some other young engineer the opportunity to earn their way to financial security as I did. What they do with that opportunity is entirely up to them. I’m not some greedy SOB who loves money more than life you know. I have enough and don’t need anymore.

28. Queeg
    Queeg 9 September, 2012, 09:25

Turn yourself in…a philantrophist….they will be glad to assist you to redistribute to help the kids…the schools always suffer!

29. The Amazing Ted System
    The Amazing Ted System 9 September, 2012, 13:29

Queeg— my hunch is that old Bob a h is a bit busy right now pulling that ladder up behind him, building a flagpole in front of his tract house and making sure he eats enough fiber each day!

30. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 9 September, 2012, 21:49

11-0 baby! 🙂

31. Ted Steele, The Decider
    Ted Steele, The Decider 10 September, 2012, 06:49

poor guy has never won a prediction—- 0 for 9 baby ™ !!

32. BobA
    BobA 10 September, 2012, 08:30

Amazing Ted:

They are no tract homes in Del Mar California. Not unless you’re suggesting that I live in a horse trailer at the Del Mar race track!! I’ve never been on a horse in my life and don’t care to be around them. I’m a city boy and I prefer the fresh smell of smog than the stench of a horse.