Brown, Dem Leg ignore aftermath

Sept. 10, 2012

By Katy Grimes

What could anyone say to California’s Democratic lawmakers to make them stop destroying the state?

Faced with 700 new bills of potential laws and regulations on his desk, Gov. Jerry Brown can be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Brown likes to remind voters that he is 74 and an experienced politician. But at 74, Brown may also have the same defeatist attitude as many like-minded people his age have; they no longer care about the consequences of their careless actions because they won’t be around to suffer the aftermath.

Bogus state of the Golden State

On CNN’s State of the Nation this weekend, host Candy Crowley interviewed Gov. Jerry Brown. The California Governor made it abundantly clear that  he is a centralized planner, and believes that only government can save what ills this state.

Ignore that strong economic freedom draws workers and businesses. Those aren’t the jobs Brown wants.

“We need to invest in the kinds of things that take government,” Brown said. He talked repeatedly of government-built infrastructure. “Roads, bridges and high-speed rail–those are the best investments.”

Brown told Republicans to “get out of the way  and let the stimulus and investments go forward.”

Brown claimed that California has historically created more jobs than any other state in the country, but failed to recognize that the jobs California is famous for are private-sector jobs, created through innovation and private investment back when state government allowed this.

This is the governor with 700 new bills on his desk awaiting signature.

The worst of the worst

California Democrats have become self-appointed nannies, headmistresses, police, parents and omniscient central planners, all rolled into one dangerous Legislature.

Of the 700 bills on Brown’s desk, nearly all are by Democrats. The few Republican bills which manage to get through usually have no teeth, and offend no Democrats.

Of bigger concern is that as Brown begins consideration the 700 new bills, he will be doing so while simultaneously romancing support for his tax-increase initiative, Proposition 30, on the November ballot.

Labor unions spent millions to get Brown into office. And they spent millions to help Brown get his tax-increase initiative on the ballot.

Many of the bills awaiting Brown’s signature were also sponsored by the same labor unions pushing for passage of the tax-increase initiative. There is no denying the unholy relationship between this governor and California’s labor unions. The question is: How do voters stop him?

Bad bills, worse bills, unconstitutional bills

By the end of the legislative session, the Legislature had passed 700 bad bills, some which may even be unconstitutional.

Californians have had their rights and liberties trampled on by the lawmakers sent to the state Capitol. And they are being paid handsomely to do this.

And while members on both sides of the political aisle can be accused of not having a clue about the working man, the Democrats lay claim to this most often. Unfortunately, the clue they do have is spoon-fed by union leaders.

Democrats are in control of California, and it is clear that most are comfortable with the idea of legislating from high up in their ivory office, away from the peasants. This includes Brown.

“We need to take the money from those who have more than they imagine,” Brown said during the CNN interview. “I’ll manage it well.”

Crowley asked Brown why he thinks that raising taxes in the state with the highest sales tax, and very high income tax, will help. “You’re not growing the economy with the highest sales tax,” she said.

“Out economy is doing better than the rest of the nation,” Brown said. “We’re getting 50 percent of all new venture capital investment, and renewable energy investments.”

But Crowley wasn’t buying it. “How come you’re so in debt?” she asked Brown several times. Brown did what President Barack Obama does–he blamed his predecessors.

California’s unemployment is 10.7 percent, higher than  the national average. Brown claims that this is good–better than the 11.1 percent we did have.

But the numbers are manipulated by the government reporting them.

As CNBC recently reported, “The government’s most widely publicized unemployment rate measures only those who are out of a job and currently looking for work. It does not count discouraged potential employees who have quit looking, nor those who are underemployed — wanting to work full-time but forced to work part-time.”

The government also releases a separate number called the “U-6,” rarely reported, which provides an accurate look at how many people are really unemployed.

According to the U-6, California has a 20.3 percent real unemployment rate.

Who says your vote doesn’t count?

How do you get government-loving centralized planners to step aside?

How do taxpayers and voters stop the state government from growing even larger?

Perhaps the only answer is to work harder to get better people elected, which wouldn’t take much, after watching this shallow Legislature churn out another 700 destructive bills.

We now know what a Democrat-led and -controlled state looks like. We can only imagine what the impacts of these 700 new laws and business-killing regulations will be. But on January 1, 2013, we will start to have a better picture.

In the meantime, voters need to get busy.

1. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 10 September, 2012, 10:32

Republican tea folks have shrt memories….. must be comfortable that way.

2. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 10 September, 2012, 11:13

Katy grimes says,
    Labor unions spent millions to get Brown into office.
    ====================
    Ok katy, lets be honest now. Private sector Corporations outspend unions 15-1 in politics. Your ok with private sector political donations? It just gets old hearing about the unions being active with political money but not the private sector! As a union member I would actually be ok with prop 32, but the fact it it does nothing to stop the private sector corporate pigs!! The wealthy supporters of this initiative created exemptions for Wall St. hedge funds, real estate investors, insurance companies and other well-heeled special interests allowing them to continue contributing directly to the coffers of political candidates. The hypocrisy is amazing!!!!!!

3. Skep41
    Skep41 10 September, 2012, 11:44

Wait until Jan 1 when California’s wonderful new Cap-On-Trade tax takes effect, raising energy prices by 50% and encouraging your employers to bully you into carpools and buses. Then, if the country is foolish enough to reelect Our Dear Leader, the Evil Bush Tax Cuts will expire and raise income taxes across the board. Of course Jerry The Jerk’s package of tax increases will pass in an environment like that, raising the sales tax. Every single bit of it will have been voted for by California’s mentally challenged electorate. The crash will break the one-party grip of the Stalinist Democrats. Anyone who thinks they are going to get a salary, transfer payment, or subsidy from California is in for a rude shock.

4. Skep41
    Skep41 10 September, 2012, 11:49

NTHEOC…”Private sector Corporations outspend unions 15-1 in politics.”

No they dont. The herd of Firemen, Nurses, Policemen, Indian Chiefs and Teachers all sniveling and yelling at us on every station every minute are paid for completely by hundreds of millions of Union dollars. How do you think the unions maintain their iron grip on Sacramento politics? Or was it corporations that came up with Cali’s outrageous public employee pensions, insane environmental laws and horrible business climate?

5. ggswede
    ggswede 10 September, 2012, 11:59

Sorry guys,but this Californian,is moving his trucks and jobs out of state.Seems like no none can get it through the heads of those in the state capitol,that private industry is what makes the economy run .I tried to warn people of how Mr. Brown,ran things before,but would anyone listen ? Don’t think so !

6. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog 10 September, 2012, 12:48

NTHEOC – I’m not sure where you figure that the private sector outspends unions 15-1 in politics.

If there was a shred of truth to your claim, Gov. Jerry Brown would instead be promoting tax cuts and private sector jobs.

Katy

7. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 10 September, 2012, 14:43

CalWatchdog says:
    =========
    Really Katy?I’m not buying your response,you are smarter than that. It is a known fact that Wall Street banks and their corporate partners already outspend labor unions 15-1, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. I’m assuming that by avoiding my simple question to you, that you do support the private sector donating and contributing big money to politicians!! Again Katy,is this fair?

8. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 September, 2012, 15:19

NTHEOC says:
    Katy grimes says,
    Labor unions spent millions to get Brown into office.
    ====================

LOL..who told you that WHOPPER lie NTHEOC?

#1 Donor; California Teachers Association, Burlingame, CATeachers union 1,563 donations:

907 to candidates,
    569 to ballot measures and 87 to parties

$118,238,531

9. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 September, 2012, 15:22

NTHEOC says:

September 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm

=========

This is CALWatchDog NTHEOC, not NATIONAL watch dog! Get with the program. CTA/Public unions spend more $$$ than all the private sectors combined-

10. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 10 September, 2012, 15:37

Cranky today……

11. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 10 September, 2012, 16:22

He is cranky cause he can’t post over at cp anymore–mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

But I think ntheoc is correct– I don’t know about 15 to 1 though. I will have some of my people look into this—- consider this a pending investigation. KMA367

12. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 September, 2012, 17:16

But I think ntheoc is correct– I don’t know about 15 to 1 though
    ==

907 to candidates,
    569 to ballot measures and 87 to parties

$118,238,531
    BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BTW Teddy why did you get banned at CP???

13. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 September, 2012, 17:18

KMA367!!!

Hahhahaah..Teddy, you need Bozo hair and make up…….

14. Hondo
    Hondo 10 September, 2012, 18:14

This is not the Jerry Brown I volunteered for in 92. He wanted to get big money out of politics. He wouldn’t accept any union money, only a hundred bucks from individuals. He was for a flat tax. I remember him trashing the prison unions. Where has he gone to.
    Rex, I think Jerry could use that Bozo hair to cover that bald head. It would fit him now.
    Hondo………..

15. Hondo
    Hondo 10 September, 2012, 18:15

To quote Steve Jobs.
    What a Bozo explosion.
    Hondo……

16. Ted Steele, The Decider
    Ted Steele, The Decider 10 September, 2012, 19:05

Hondo– You volunteered for Brown? Hmmmmm…..

Zero, you’re still 0 for 9 ™
    What does that feel like?
    KMA367, Long Beach Pilot, Put your ladder on the port side!

17. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 10 September, 2012, 19:10

Ted Steele, The Decider says:
    Hondo– You volunteered for Brown? Hmmmmm…..
    ===============
    Ted, there’s alot about hondo that doesn’t make sense! Now he states he volunteered for brown? He also states he is a retired firefighter but does not receive a pension,Hmmm? I have questioned him many times on this but he avoids the answers.HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

18. Ted Steele, The Decider
    Ted Steele, The Decider 10 September, 2012, 19:59

NTHEOC— Ohhhhh– I get it…..

19. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 September, 2012, 20:31

Teddy- you only get one thing, a smack upside da head from ME 🙂 Coming Nov 6.

I have smacked you so many times #11 wont matter 🙂

20. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 10 September, 2012, 21:34

Poodle we are over you-

Non event-

21. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 September, 2012, 22:29

You have nothing left Teddy-in fact you never had anything to start with 🙂

22. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 10 September, 2012, 23:21

Sorry…… will do better to exceed your lofty expectations-

23. Ted Steele, The Decider
    Ted Steele, The Decider 11 September, 2012, 06:46

Poodle is again having delusions of adequacy!

24. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 11 September, 2012, 07:40

Poodle we humor you…CWD needed a mascot…you are a trainee on probation for the honor!

25. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 11 September, 2012, 09:32

11-0 Nov 6 baby!

26. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 11 September, 2012, 09:32

CWD needed a mascot…you are a trainee on probation for the honor!

This Pittie accepts the challenge 🙂

27. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 11 September, 2012, 10:37

Petite

lol

cute poodle.

28. Hondo
    Hondo 11 September, 2012, 10:52

I have said I was a former firefighter, both paid and volunteer. Most calls for service in this country are answered by volunteer firefighters.
    I worked three seasons with the forest service on fire crews. The 4th season I was on the aspen management team out of the Delta Colorado office. I still went to a fire that season, the Buffalo Gulch fire near Helena Montana where I got hypothermia.
    My first season I was on the San Berdoo forest on a Pumper crew out of Oak Glenn station. We answered all calls, fire, car wrecks, heart attacks. While there I was also a member of the Camp Angelus volunteers.
    I then moved to Crested Butte colorado where I was on the volunteers there for a couple years before moving to Idaho to work for the Challis NF as a combination helitack and pumper crew member and leader. I spent two seasons in Idaho before leaving for private industry. There were no full time year round jobs for white males in the forest service. I know guys and girls with masters degrees who were told they were too white.
    In Crested Butte I got carbon monoxide poisoning and saw God swirling over my head in the emergency room.
    The biggest fire I went to I showed up sh#t faced drunk after they called me at 3 in the morning after I closed down a bar. I was with the Mentone hotshot crew and I puked the entire day. My bosses loved me after that. It was more macho back then.
    No, I have never said I retired from the fire service. I have been to hundreds of calls and watched houses, forests, cars, condo, and trucks burn and did my best to help. And have seen many people die badly.
    Volunteers don’t get any pensions.
    Enough said.
    Hondo……..

29. Hondo
    Hondo 11 September, 2012, 10:59

I remembered my time line wrong. It was after my season out of Delta colorado that I left the service. Its been nearly 30 years. Now I am a lowly slum lord.
    Hondo……

30. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 11 September, 2012, 11:06

What an insult to seniors over 70, by characterizing them as people who do not care what is going to happen after they are no longer around. You should have your mouth washed out with soap.

31. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 11 September, 2012, 12:24

Carpetbaggers are rife on CWD. Beware….those of you stuck here who pay big time taxes to support the goody man Brown should use caution listening to carpetbagger doomsday preppers!

32. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 11 September, 2012, 13:59

SeeSaw says:

Kettle, meet pot 😉

33. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 11 September, 2012, 14:28

Nice Flufee…nice…nice…

34. Ted Steele, The Decider
    Ted Steele, The Decider 12 September, 2012, 06:51

LOL– Hondo was a PCF and a lumber jack — That’s kinda like being a professional firefighter in a way!!!!!!!! That explains alot!!