Middle class is Shocked! Shocked! at tax increase

new year's tax increase, cagle, Jan. 2, 2013Jan. 13, 2013

By John Seiler

Wait! Weren’t the tax increase supposed to hit only the rich? President Obama, Gov. Jerry Brown and thousands of Democratic politicians insisted that the wealthy must “pay their fair share.” Democratic friends of mine even said that to me.

Now middle-class folks, having voted for Obama and Brown’s tax increases, are Shocked! Shocked! to find that their own taxes going up. Brown’s quarter-cent sales tax hike is harder to see.

But Obama’s 2 percentage-point payroll tax increase sure is obvious as people get their first paychecks of the new year. Republicans in Congress who pushed the tax increase, especially House Speaker John Boehner and Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader, also are to blame.

Here’s one story:

“Gabriella Hoffman’s paycheck is a little lighter today, thanks to a payroll tax increase that is forcing millions of Americans to make the kind of tough budget cuts their representatives in Washington lawmakers seem unwilling to tackle.

“Hoffman, a 21-year-old Virginian who works at a nonprofit, estimates her paycheck will be roughly $30 less this biweekly pay period, or about $780 annually, thanks to the end of a two-year cut on payroll taxes, which fund Social Security. The tax has risen back up to 6.2 percent from 4.2 percent, costing someone making $50,000 annually about $1,000 per year and a household with two high-paid workers up to $4,500.

“’As a newly-graduated person, someone coming straight out of college, I don’t like the idea of having less money coming to me due to the selfish interests of people in Congress who don’t have any interest in reducing our financial problems, Hoffman told FoxNews.com. “This is an impediment for future economic growth. It’s going to make it harder for young people like myself to get married, find a better job, you name it.’”

I don’t get my first 2013 paycheck until Tuesday. Then I’ll see how big the hit is. I’m nowhere near being a rich person. I’m pretty close to the California median income.

Personally, I’m cutting back on expenses, especially dining out. Maybe I’ll also lose a few pounds doing so. Being healthier means I’ll be less likely to need Obamacare and face one of those Death Panels. So in the end, the tax increases could help me, maybe save my life.

It’s sort of like a guy I just read about in today’s FT.com, Sidney Rittenberg. For a while he was a top commie sycophant to Mao. But a couple of times he was imprisoned and nearly starved to death. Now he’s 91 and “looks, perhaps, 70.”

Supposedly fasting makes your body conserve energy, so if it doesn’t kill you, you live longer.

1. sean morham
    sean morham 13 January, 2013, 09:17

John, How true. We canceled Sirius radio, dropped the Sports package on Comcast, and stopped a couple magazines on Jan 1, a total of $450 yearly, In anticipation of these taxes and more to come. All that may not even be taxed, but a penny saved, a penny earned, to quote someone smarter than us. We have made shopping more frugal by expanding our grocery shopping to Wal Mart, instead of the higher priced union staffed grocers.
    We could more than manage the expense, but I am pretty cheap anyways with three children in college….no aid at this middle class salaried household two generations removed non english speaking relatives from eastern Europe.
    Voting is not the best revenge, that is a privilege. Not spending in obama usa, brown california is the best revenge.

2. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 13 January, 2013, 09:32

I was not paying attention and unaware that the payroll tax increases were coming on everyone. I was brought up-to-date. I now understand. I accept it. I will have to pay estimated taxes this year, after sliding by without having to make that irksom, yearly, four-time payment to the governments, both federal and state, for the past two years. Nothing changes the fact that I am lucky to be a citizen of this country, and I will obey its laws. I do believe in the quality of life–you only go around once. If buying your groceries from WalMart maintains, for you, the same quality of life you enjoyed when you shopped at the major supermarket, Sean, go for it, if you want. As far as my own shopping habits go, I will keep in mind that a unionized work force allows that demographic and its families to live better than those who are working for the, “Wal-marts”. I certainly will not sacrifice my Fios computer hookup, because I couldn’t talk to you. The DirectTV stays, because I need my Lakers and my MSNBC pundits. I don’t have the total sports-movie packages–don’t need them.

3. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 13 January, 2013, 10:59

Seesaw……..you are hilarious.

Teddy is a putz on purpose. NtheOC is in need of anger management. You are by far the most pleasant of the leftist trolls the Kommandants have ordered to “occupy” Calwatchdog.

4. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 13 January, 2013, 10:59

SeeSaw says:
    I was not paying attention and unaware …………

You have not been paying attention, and been “unaware” your entire life seesaw 😉

5. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 13 January, 2013, 11:07

Sorry…..Commissar….not Kommandant. Kommandant is Germanic. Commissar is more fittingly Soviet. =)

6. Paul
    Paul 13 January, 2013, 11:58

Everyone should have seen this coming with the worthless liberals driving the bus. I know I’ve said it the whole time. They are lying pieces of trash and this is just the tip of the iceberg people. Welcome to EU-America where the government controls you and your money your or what little money you have…

7. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 13 January, 2013, 13:32

jimmydeeoc says:
    leftist trolls the Kommandants have ordered to “occupy” Calwatchdog.
    ====================
    Lol,And i’m the angry one!!

8. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 13 January, 2013, 13:37

sean morham says:
    We have made shopping more frugal by expanding our grocery shopping to Wal Mart
    =========
    Here are some “FACTS” about the most evil empire around that you support sean!
    –Reliance by Wal-Mart workers on public assistance programs in California comes at a cost to the taxpayers of an estimated $86 million annually; this is comprised of $32 million in health related expenses and $54 million in other assistance.
    –The families of Wal-Mart employees in California utilize an estimated 40 percent more in taxpayer-funded health care than the average for families of all large retail employees.
    –The families of Wal-Mart employees use an estimated 38 percent more in other (non-health care) public assistance programs (such as food stamps, Earned Income Tax Credit, subsidized school lunches, and subsidized housing) than the average for families of all large retail employees.
    –If other large California retailers adopted Wal-Mart’s wage and benefits standards, it would cost taxpayers an additional $410 million a year in public assistance to employees.

9. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 13 January, 2013, 13:41

Paul says:
    January 13, 2013 at 11:58 am
    ================
    As opposed to the WORTHLESS rightwing teabaggers like yourself!!

10. Eric
    Eric 13 January, 2013, 13:53

I’m not a big fan of prop 30 at all, but the payroll tax “increase” (really expiry of 2-year tax holiday stimulus) is the SAME tax rate we’ve always been paying. Can people not remember this? A republican in the white house would not have made a bit of difference. Stimulus must stop eventually.

If Social Security is a ponzi scheme, then I guess we really need to make sure that the taxes keep coming in to fund current retirees. Can’t cut payroll taxes without first cutting social security benefits. Complaining about this seems pretty silly, and reduces your credibility.

11. DavidfromLosGatos
    DavidfromLosGatos 13 January, 2013, 18:58

“So in the end, the tax increases could help me, maybe save my life.”

Excellent!

12. MinorityinCali
    MinorityinCali 13 January, 2013, 19:08

NTHEOC: Now there’s an angry Move On plant. SEESAW: there seems to be two middle classes developing in The republic of Cal; Those govt employees who retire at 50 and can afford a leisure life and the non union middle class that supports the lifestyle of the unionized middle class

13. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 January, 2013, 00:15

Minority, I retired at the age of 72. Furthermore, the youngest retiree I know from my municipality was 53, and he was a rarity. The average age of all miscellaneous CalPERS retirees is 60. I support my own lifestyle with the pension that I earned working for a living. I use my pension money to buy your products and services. So, you don’t support me and I don’t support you. We each support ourselves by working for whatever we have.

Rex, I don’t invite you to belittle me, for no reason at all. Come with a discussion-point or keep quiet.

14. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 14 January, 2013, 08:33

Interesting posts. By being cheap, shopping non-union I am sending my children to college. Enough said. Anyone who has an problem with that…..well, I will start off the week right and keep it to myself.
    Folks, put money away, higher taxes are coming, whether through the wise ones in Sacramento, or the Divine One and his minions in Washington.

15. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 January, 2013, 09:29

By shopping non-union, you are participating in helping to bring down the demographics of the population, therefore slowing the economy’s recovery.

Whatever happened to respect for the President of our country, regardless of what party he belongs to? If you showed the same type of disrepect toward your leader, if you were living in Syria, you and your family would be slaughtered like some of those Syrian families we saw that happen to recently. How do you like the idea of your children being slaughtered, because of your words!

16. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 January, 2013, 09:33

I have never been to Europe Paul. I am told by a relative who does social research all over the world, that the people in Scandanavia are much happier than we are here, in the U.S.

17. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 14 January, 2013, 09:54

Whatever one finds irksome, higher taxes are coming. Listen to the rhetoric discussed in Sacramento and Washington.

18. Donkey
    Donkey 17 January, 2013, 04:35

SeeSaw, our leader is the head of the largest Prison Industrial Complex in the world, with only less than 5% of the worlds population we have close to 30% of the worlds prisoners. And the drone raids he has been carrying out have killed hundreds of innocent children, women, and men.

Do you believe the people in our prisons are all incarcerated for acts that caused harm to another individual or that some are political prisoners? 🙂