Shutdown blacks out U.S. Census site

Shutdown blacks out U.S. Census site

It's taken a week, but I finally was affected by the federal government “shutdown” (which actually only closes, temporarily, 17 percent of the government; leaving 83 percent still operating).

I went to the U.S. Census's Web site, census.gov, and got this screen:

Census shutdown notice

I could understand why they wouldn't put up new data, such as the unemployment numbers that were scheduled for last Friday. But why take down the whole site?

When I go to sleep, I don't take down CalWatchDog.com.

Did the Census stop paying its servers? Then why is the notice still up? Shouldn't there just be that “NOT FOUND” error message?

All I know is that, although I find the Census numbers valuable, I have other ways of getting data. They could shut it down permanently and it wouldn't crimp my work, especially if the money saved was refunded by cutting my taxes.

But it's obvious that the notification is just another nuisance intended to annoy people so they call for funding the government. With me, it had the opposite effect.

zp8497586rq

Tags assigned to this article:
John SeilerU.S. Censusgovernment shutdown

Related Articles

Legislature passes record $117 billion budget

On Monday, the California Legislature passed a $117 billion state budget on a 52-28 vote, meeting the June 15 deadline

Republicans Lacking Farm Team

Katy Grimes: The dismal results California Republicans experienced in this last election are indisputable. But who is to blame? The California

McClintock: Ryan budget plan riddled with dishonesty

Tom McClintock, once the shrewdest guy in the Legislature, is now among the shrewder people in Congress. Last night the