Unserious Debate, Unserious State

Steven Greenhut: Listening to the gubernatorial debate tonight was a painful experience. It’s more of the same. Whitman believes in pension reform but with a large enough loophole (public safety) to render the whole exercise pointless. Jerry Brown claims he will stand up to the unions even though they are bankrolling his campaign. Whitman prattled about her CEO experience and Brown talked about the great influence of the California Teachers Association, the group that has almost single-handedly destroyed public education in this state. Whitman tried to give a straight answer on why she supports suspending global-warming rules for a year yet supports those rules in principle and therefore opposes an initiative that would suspend them. She offered an unintelligible explanation under the guise of offering her straightforward viewpoint. Brown wants high capital gains taxes and rails against the wealthy and believes that somehow plenty of jobs will be created by subsidizing the green economy. Whitman talks persuasively about keeping taxes and regulations low then champions her specific plans which amount to nothing more than vague generalities that will never get through a left-wing Legislature. Whitman tried to position the Brown camp’s use of the w-word (whore) as an affront to all women. She is such a victim! Yuck.

A friend of mine wondered why we aren’t getting the candidates we deserve. But Californians are getting exactly what we deserve — the choice between a kooky old union hack who helped create the current mess with past policies and a Chamber of Commerce Chatty Cathy doll that regurgitates banalities after you pull the string. This is what Californians deserve. Come on, our voters threw out a genuine bum (Gray Davis), then turned on his replacement after he tried to genuinely fix the problem. He then turned on us by abandoning reform in a vain pursuit of popularity. Californians don’t like the fiscal mess we’re in, but we created it. California voters love big government and won’t consider the kind of market reforms that are needed to turn California into an entrepreneurial haven. California is an advanced social welfare state where the unions call the shots and anyone who has a clue, such as Tom McClintock, cannot possibly win statewide election. The state is declining rapidly and markedly. Greece is not an unreasonable comparison. Even a good candidate could not implement reforms in the current political climate here and certainly not until the state’s residents undergo a paradigm shift.

Two choices: put up with it and enjoy the weather and the beaches and hope the economy is resilient enough to lumber along until we die. Or move — but keep in mind that the same things that ail California ail the other states also, although not to the same degree. Can you really bear watching it happen all over again in some other less desirable state? Do you really want to shovel snow or live someplace where people say, “Y’all” and enjoy NASCAR races?

Bottom line: You’re not going anywhere and it makes no difference who becomes the next governor.

OCT. 12

No comments

1. John Seiler
    John Seiler 12 October, 2010, 20:56

If I’m going anywhere, it’s closer to the beach.

2. Scott
    Scott 13 October, 2010, 10:50

I simply can’t stand it anymore. I am 59 years old and was born in California. I’ve lived here all my life. But the place has deteriorated so massively in the last 10-15 years so that it’s almost unrecognizable from the California of my youth. I work in San Francisco, which like the state is run by and for “progressives” and unions, and the decline of this once great city into Third World status is amazing.

I retire in two years. I’m leaving this state for good. What a shame it’s come to this.

3. Lucy Dunn
    Lucy Dunn 13 October, 2010, 13:39

I’m so depressed reading your post, but at least with Meg, SOMEONE would understand how jobs are created. Today’s legislators talk jobs and then regulate the hell out of everyone so no jobs are created. I do think Meg gets that and so gets my vote.

4. Fred Mangels
    Fred Mangels 13 October, 2010, 13:54

Too funny, Steve. That’s exactly what I wrote on my blog a while ago: This state’s an unfixable mess and it won’t matter who gets elected Governor.

5. Barbara Decker
    Barbara Decker 13 October, 2010, 21:11

This is sooo depressing. I have been volunteering on campaigns on the grass roots level finding good constitutional conservatives. The GOP picked Meg over someone who would have been great but he was an unknown. Two women drove all over the state with his name on a billboard behind their truck. Well, I will continue along with a small group of people to find decent candidates. I will not give up-I don’t want to move.

6. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 14 October, 2010, 10:36

Whitman believes in pension reform but with a large enough loophole
    =============
    Whitman is now a joke in my eyes-and I hate to say that b/c I NEEDED someone to believe in this election.

But her exemption of the BIGGEST pension scammmers, by FAR, was the last straw.

She is trying to stop the dam from busting but she is only sticking her little pinky in the hole-aint going to work and I am looking to take my vote elsewhere-even Brown at this point has a shot at it.

If you told me I would feel this way this 3 monthds ago I would have told you that you’re nuts……………….

7. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 14 October, 2010, 10:39

===========
    You know what-you and Whitman can create jobs until the cows come home, but it isn’t going to stop the states problems because the employee spending is going to continue to increase exponentially.

There are not enough jobs in the WORLD to keep up with the out of control employee compensation spending.

Employee spoending MUST go down.

8. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 14 October, 2010, 10:44

==============
    When you find a decent candadite/s, let me know, we have two turkeys in this gov’s race.

Both losers IMO, and I highly doubt either has what it takes to fix this mess (although Brown could surprise me). Arnold was a tremendous flop, if we get another Arnold we’re toast.

9. SkippingDog
    SkippingDog 14 October, 2010, 12:42

I just love watching Fake OCO writhe and squirm because Greenputz can’t get the response he personally wants from the state government. Californians created this mess with all of the ballot box budgeting we’ve had for the past 40 or so years, so now it will be time for us to suck it up and make the changes necessary to get back on track.

Not only does the initiative process need to be curtailed or ended – does it really make sense that the state constitution can be changed with a simple majority, but we can’t change tax laws or even pass a budget with anything less than 2/3 votes? – and we’ll probably join the states that have begun charging full price for all college and university level education.

Now that even Meg agrees that public safety pension benefits need to be protected and paid for, you guys need to find more realistic ways to balance our state and local budgets. Some modifications to Prop 13 would be a good place to start, as would a more progressive income tax system and the reduction of all welfare benefits to the levels paid by flow-through money from the federal government.

10. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 October, 2010, 14:07

Fake say, “Employee spending MUST go down.”

Employees have been working under fourloughs for two years and, god only knows, how far into the future. They are picking up a larger percentage of their pension liabilities.

Your ilk will never be satisfied until we are all living in a third-word like country. That way, we will all be equal. Nobody will have anything.

11. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 October, 2010, 14:08

Fake says, “Employee spending MUST go down.”

Your ilk will never be satisfied until we are all living in a third-world like country. That way, we will all be equal. Nobody will have anything.

12. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 14 October, 2010, 16:18

Californians created this mess with all of the ballot box budgeting
    ==========
    Another trough feeder whopper.

SB400 is what created this mess, that and comping GED cops and firehwiners $200K per year……………$250-$300K with OT or promotions.

13. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 14 October, 2010, 16:19

=======
    I would cut their salary 25% and cap it there, and use the savings to shore up the pension accounts.

14. SkippingDog
    SkippingDog 14 October, 2010, 19:41

Perhaps, but you’re not going to be the Governor. Neither probably is Meg.

15. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 15 October, 2010, 08:00

Perhaps, but you’re not going to be the Governor
    =========
    But, cutting the salry 25%, and capping it there, and using that savings to boost the pensions accounts would cure the problem SKippy.

At least I have a plan.

Oh, and I would have a two tier pensions so this never repeats itself.

16. SkippingDog
    SkippingDog 16 October, 2010, 09:38

Sorry, Fake. That’s not a plan you have; it’s an idea. A plan would include some details on exactly how you would accomplish your idea. What are the current political, economic, and legal hurdles that must be addressed? How would you establish the new system? Who would be put into the new tiers? How do you address the existing employees who haven’t retired yet?

You see, pulling some wild idea out from your nether regions isn’t really a plan at all, but you’re right, it’s much more than Meg has done.

17. Fake OCO
    Fake OCO 17 October, 2010, 22:12

=============
    No, it is a plan!

Details??? What are you tsalking about?? A 25% cut is all the detail you need, simple math.