Capitol Protest: Occupy vs. Teachers

Katy Grimes: California Teachers Association and Occupy Protestors are going to fight for relevance on Monday.

Glitter-wearing Occupy protestors from Berkeley and Davis are headed to the state Capitol Monday morning.

In a well-orchestrated protest planned for Monday, teachers and school employees have planned a Capitol protest over school budget cuts. And they have received carefully-planned help from school officials, with pink slip notices going out in the next few days. But the school pink slip notices are just notices of the potential for lay offs, and not actual notices of terminations.

Teachers that I know say that  these same notices go out every year when the CTA is in contract negotiations with the state — it’s all part of the union negotiation game.

Tomorrow’s protest should be interesting, with occupy protestors threatening to show up and take away some of the teacher and school employee protest thunder.

Estimates of 10,000 protestors surely is a very generous estimate – I would be surprised if 2,000 show up, unless protestors are paid, as is common with union employees. It’s all part of the school employee contract to receive pay for protest days sponsored by the unions.

I will be there tomorrow to report on the protest, as well as legislators’ reactions.

MAR. 4, 2012

No comments

1. Rex The Wonder Dog!
    Rex The Wonder Dog! 5 March, 2012, 08:57

They are required by law to send out notices to ALL teachers who could be in the range of lay off years, since it goes by seniority.

The fact is no teacher is ever laid off. The few times it does happen it is a handful, maybe 1,000-1 on the pink slip notices.

2. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 5 March, 2012, 09:52

So if I am understanding this article correctly the Occupy protesters are going to be protesting against the teachers?

Since CalWatchDog always condemns the Occupy Movement I find this very hard to believe.

Please clarify.

3. Hondo
    Hondo 5 March, 2012, 19:55

When I was young growing up in California, I had many great teachers. Those good ones had profound effects on our lives. Everyone reading this can point to many important mentors. There were a great many ‘OK’ teachers too.
    And there were a few bad ones. Magically, before the unions, many of those never came back the next year. I remember Mr. Southworth, who taught math next to my english class taught by ancient Mrs. Hall. This was in radical 1970 when our society was being strained, to say the least. Well, the bad kids in Mr. Southworth’s class tricked him into getting into a closet then locked him in there. All the kids left and Mrs. Hall finally responded to the frantic pounding and went next door and liberated Mr. Southworth. He never made it past the week and I mostly blame those rotten kids. But he wasn’t meant to be a teacher.
    Now, the unions are far more important to the teachers than the kids. I am glad I was educated before the NEA took over. It was more fun too. I loved my teachers then.
    Still do.
    Hondo

4. Rex The Wonder Dog!
    Rex The Wonder Dog! 5 March, 2012, 21:39

As a licensed teacher I can tell you that the teaching profession has a very strange-and dangerous-competency curve.

In the private sector you have maybe 20% of the employees doing outstanding jobs at th etop, the best, then the next 75% doing average jobs, and the bottom 5% doing awful jobs. This is because the awful employees end up getting fired so there are never very many around. They get canned.

In teaching there are a far greater number of outstanding people at the top, maybe 33%-35%, then a smaller amount of mid level average employee teachers, maybe another 30%, but at the bottom end, the worst employee teachers there are tons, 30% or more. The reason is you cannot fire a bad employee teacher.

I do think you have a higher % of outstanding employee teachers at the top in public teaching, more than the private sector, but far fewer in the middle and far more at the incompetent level at the bottom.

5. JoeS
    JoeS 6 March, 2012, 20:48

An interesting article would be to interview the student protestors:

1. Who paid their transportation? Are they receiving hotels, food and per diem?

2. Are the students protesting high pay for professors that add to their tuition?

6. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 6 March, 2012, 21:46

I did talk to student protestors – story here in the follow up story: http://www.calwatchdog.com/2012/03/05/students-protest-education-entitlement-cuts/

7. Roberto
    Roberto 15 March, 2012, 18:33

As usual Pelosi ignores or fails to awndoclekge the fact that she is where and who she is as a direct result of the corporate greed her husband being a capitalist of the highest order if I recall, she got legislation passed when she was the Speaker that would exclude US Possession Samoa from legislation regulating corporations .her husband being a significant stockholder in Chicken of the Sea (I believe -its one of the big tuna canneries anyway) based on Samoa, which if I’m not mistaken relegated their employees (the working man as the Left likes to call them) to 2nd class status ..and enhanced the profit position of her husband’s company .I do believe the Wall Street Occupiers are possibly smarter than she and perhaps even we realize .many of them during interviews have expressed Anti Obama/Democrats sentiments..

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*