Despicable politics against Boy Scouts

May 8, 2012

By Katy Grimes

The Boy Scouts of America are under attack again, and this time, at the state Capitol.

The Boy Scouts have been under attack for many years by homosexual special interest groups–apparently being a volunteer “boy” scout displeases against some liberals.

Tuesday, Assemblyman Mike Morrell, R-Rancho Cucamonga, touched off a surprise controversy when he introduced a bill to commemorate the 102nd anniversary of the Boy Scouts at the Capitol.

Is nothing sacred anymore? Boys can’t be scouts without politics and the agendas of adults interfering?

At the behest of parents several decades ago, the Boy Scouts now have policies in place that prohibit gays from holding leadership positions within the organization. But this has brought the historic scouting organization under attack from special interest groups–despite the ten decades of positive influences on boys. Outdoor activities, camping, leadership training, fellowship, and man-building and bonding has occurred thanks to the Boy Scouts.

My son was a scout. From Cub Scouts through Eagle Scout, 1st grade through high school graduation, he benefitted in ways I cannot enumerate and could not have provided for him. The Boy Scouts do not discriminate –they invite all boys to participate. It’s only the parents with political agendas who make the scouts political, and distasteful.

For many years I even vociferously opposed the participation of moms in scouting, other than den mothers. We moms are women, and should not have much influence in how the Boy Scouts operate. It’s a guy thing and needs to remain so.

In fact, I often wonder why moms get involved at all in the older boy scouting. There are so few activities that allow sons to just hang out with other boys and do guy things… things that often make women say “ew.”

A long history of Boy Scouts

The Boy Scouts of America is a private, non-profit organization and one of the largest youth organizations in the United States, with 2.7 million youth members and more than 1 million adult volunteers. Founded in 1910 as part of the international Scout Movement, more than 110 million Americans have been members of the BSA.

The Boy Scouts of America goal is to train youth in responsible citizenship, character development, and self-reliance through participation in a wide range of outdoor activities, educational programs, and, at older age levels, career-oriented programs in partnership with community organizations.

The apparent danger of achieving this goal is mind boggling lest the boys have too much fun, and along the way become productive, responsible members of American society.

Scouting values include trustworthiness, good citizenship, and outdoors skills, all taught through activities including camping, water sports, all levels of hiking and many other activities. And respect and leadership skills are always a part of the activities.

The Controversy

In 1998, the Scouts fired any troop leader who announced his homosexuality, a decision that was upheld by the Supreme Court. But this was only after a legal nightmare which followed the discovery of Jerrold Schwartz, a 42-year old scoutmaster of a New York scout troop, who repeatedly sodomized a young teen in his troop over the course of a three-year period during the mid-nineties.

But this case was not the only issue of scout leaders and homosexuality. “Ex-scoutmasters from Massachusetts and Iowa to Oklahoma and Utah have recently faced charges on such offenses,” City Journal wrote in 2002. “Cases of sexual abuse in the Scouts have been rising, going from 70 a year two decades ago to roughly 200 a year by the late 1990s.”

Activism and attacks

The Boy Scouts was the perfect organization for the homosexual community to attack–it’s all about the development of boys into men, and purely a guy thing.

But the gay agenda issue was unable to hold muster. And fortunately the scouts fought back. With support from millions of parents across the country who just wanted their kids to be able to participate in an organization that hadn’t been politicized, and had remained true to it’s historical mission, the thought of activists and politicians infiltrating and taking advantage of a few abusive leadership positioms sickened most families involved in scouting.

State Capitol Antics

Tuesday, state Democrats demanded that Assemblyman Morrell’s resolution include wording urging the Boy Scouts to stop discriminating against homosexual Scout leaders. As if that was not enough, Assemblyman Mike Feurer, D-Los Angeles, introduced his own resolution including the offensive and controversial language. Feurer’s resolution was passed by the Assembly proving that the selfish political agendas of liberals is far more important than the millions of boys and men who have benefitted so greatly because of the Boy Scouts.

However, if any of the Assembly Democrats had bothered to read the Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan and Outdoor Code, they’d have seen that the Boy Scouts teach values that progressives and liberals claim to care about.

Scout Oath

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country;
To obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Scout Law

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Scout Motto

Be Prepared

Scout Slogan

Do a good turn daily

Outdoor Code

As an American, I will do my best, to be clean in my outdoor manners, to be careful with fire, to be considerate in the outdoors, and to be conservation minded.

I’ve got news for the perpetually self-absorbed Democrats in the Assembly – everything is not about you… a little daily reverence, kindness and courteousness would be refreshing.

1. Prattle On, Boyo
    Prattle On, Boyo 9 May, 2012, 13:50

If you want your son or daughter to develop accountability, dependability, and leadership skills then send them to the local chapter of the Sea Cadets, not the BSA. They won’t just be developing on a personal level, but can take it further and transform their training into a career in the military if they so choose. The Sea Cadets take *everyone* who wants to be a member regardless of political agenda. And since the Sea Cadets has a Congressional charter, they don’t discriminate against gender, sexual orientation, or any of the other things the BSA does.

2. Eagle Scout
    Eagle Scout 9 May, 2012, 14:07

Not true – I was an Eagle Scout and a CAPT in the Navy. Here’s some stats:

Of any one hundred boys who become Scouts, it must be confessed that thirty will drop out in their first year. Perhaps this may be regarded as a failure, but later in life, all of these will remember that they had been in Scouting and will speak well of the program.

Of the one hundred, only rarely will one ever appear before a juvenile court judge. Twelve of the one hundred will be from families that belong to no church. Through Scouting, these twelve and many of their families will be brought into contact with a church and will continue to be active all their lives. Six of the one hundred will become pastors.

Each of the one hundred will learn something from Scouting, and all will develop hobbies that will add interest throughout the rest of their lives. Approximately one-half will serve in the military, and in varying degrees, profit from their Scout training. At least one will use it to save another person’s life, and many may credit it for saving their own.

Four of the one hundred will reach Eagle rank, and at least one will later say that he valued his Eagle above his college degree. Many will find their future vocation through merit badge work and Scouting contacts. Seventeen of the one hundred boys will become adult leaders and will give leadership to thousands of additional boys.

One in four boys in America will become Scouts, but it is interesting to know that of the leaders of this nation in business, religion and politics, three out of four were Scouts.

3. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 9 May, 2012, 14:30

I was a boy scout, albeit not a very good one. I guess you could call it a personality conflict with the den master. He always stuck me with the crap assignments and I resented it. My dad told me never to become a soldier after that experience and I’ll be damned if I didn’t join the military. Go figure.

Luckily I never went on an overnight camp out with that den master. He probably would have tried to put his paws on me after the sun went down.

And, sorry, I’m from the old school. I don’t believe in forcing children to tolerate every damn human behavior they come across. I would teach children to be respectful and to accept differences in other….but I would never force them to emotionally tolerate things that make no sense on a gut level. Call me what you want. I don’t really care.

I go along with David Bowie “Never going to fall for Modern Love”; “I don’t believe in Modern Love”. And I will stand by that until the day I die.

4. Kelly Schafer
    Kelly Schafer 9 May, 2012, 14:33

My boys have been involved in Scouts for some many years now. We are very proud to be associated with this organization. The only time the issue of discrimination of any kind comes up — it’s by liberals with some agenda or ax to grind. I’m so sick of it. If they knew ANYTHING about Boy Scouts, it’s that the first and foremost concern of the organization is the boys’ safety and well-being; and if there’s a policy in place that limits the people who may/may not be involved, it is with regard to their desire to protect the scouts. Selfish adults need to come to grips with the fact that this organization is for the boys – it’s not for the adults.

5. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 9 May, 2012, 16:01

FYI – the language directly from Assemblyman Feurer’s resolution is unbelievable:

1)EVEN THOUGH HURTFUL DISCRIMINATION BY PRIVATE ORGANIZATIONS
    AGAINST AMERICANS ON THE BASIS OF SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND
    RELIGION MAY BE TECHNICALLY LEGAL UNDER SUPREME COURT
    DECISIONS, DOES THIS MEAN IT IS RIGHT AND therefore SHOULD BE
    IGNORED IN OFFICIAL resolutions COMMEMORATing such groups?

2)if the legislature chooses to congratulate the boy scouts
    because of the organization’s many good works, should the
    legislature nevertheless hold fast to its unwavering
    commitment to non-discrimination by insisting that any such
    laudatory resolution be amended to urge that the scouts
    finally abandon their longstanding hurtful discriminatory
    policies against some american families solely on the basis of
    sexual orientation or religious perspective?

here is the link to this rant, done under the guise of an analysis: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0051-0100/acr_94_cfa_20120507_130501_asm_comm.html

Katy

6. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 9 May, 2012, 16:18

Let me explain what the problem is with modern America.

It used to be that a “right” was good for EVERYONE. EVERYONE WON!

Today a “right” designates WINNERS and LOSERS. A “right” given to one class or group of people means that other classes or groups of people must sacrifice one of their “rights”. No longer does everyone WIN.

Just look at the slippery slope we have created.

Do any of you know how much our global neighbors laugh at we Americans and our “rights”? Seriously, do you? We are the laughing stock of the world. I kid you not.

7. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 9 May, 2012, 19:44

Funny how Obama had an epiphany and overnight changed his opinion on gay marriage, eh? HAH! 🙂 I bet Rev Jerimiah Wright resigns as his spiritual mentor now! 🙂 Funny what a difference a day makes. Apparently the gays outbid the churches and got his nod. Now if only he would change his opinions on illegal immigrants. On a cold day in hell, eh???

8. paul
    paul 9 May, 2012, 23:37

Beelzebub – being gay makes sense to me on a “gut level” because I am gay and always have been. Regarding rights, how does granting marriage rights to gays (as one example) result in a sacrifice for non-gays? My California gay marriage is not recognized at the federal level, so we’re still “losing” compared to straight people in the rights game you’ve laid out.

Kelly – barring someone from an organization based on their sexual orientation is discrimination, period. Just because “only liberals bring it up” doesn’t change this.

9. queeg
    queeg 10 May, 2012, 08:31

Be kind…encourage redemption, renewal, evovle….ongoing struggle.

Every person has their own journey….respect their efforts…..even if they fail!

Tolerence is hard posters…give it a try…find some good in people.

10. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 09:24

We are the world. We are the children. Let’s all form a circle, hold hands, click our heels together 3x’s and wish real hard for tolerance! 😀

11. queeg
    queeg 10 May, 2012, 09:31

It’ s catharsis….ah…..breath deep….stretch arms to the stars…..play a cd Johnny Depp/Oprah interview….feel better?

12. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 10:06

I refuse to tolerate stupidity. Even if they pass a law that orders me to tolerate stupidity before I die – I will still do it openly ridicule it those who practice it. And as I’m sitting behind bars – I will continue to laugh at stupid people. Put some of that in your pipe and suck on it!

13. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 May, 2012, 10:24

A person’s sexual orientation is only a small part of their identity, unless they use it as a political lightening rod, as is happening with the Scouts. Tolerance of others begins with self-acceptance.

Katy

14. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 10:47

“A person’s sexual orientation is only a small part of their identity, unless they use it as a political lightening rod, as is happening with the Scouts. Tolerance of others begins with self-acceptance”

Excellent point, Katy. When people take their sexual orientations and beat other people over the head with it – it’s bound to create problems. I have seen clips of gay pride parades on TV with people exposing themselves and performing lewd acts on one another. If that happened at a common public parade people would go to jail and probably get put on the state sexual offender registry. I don’t care what these folks do in their bedrooms. Just keep it out of my face. That’s all I ask.

15. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 10:57

“Beelzebub – being gay makes sense to me on a “gut level” because I am gay and always have been”

That’s fine, Paul. And I respect your feelings and viewpoint.

However, consider it from the perspective of people who find it to be an unnatural phenonmenon. And it is unnatural since life revolves around reproduction and propogation of the species. Two men engaging in sexual intercourse is quite disgusting for many heterosexuals on a ‘gut level’. And I certainly would not force my children to applaud it because I feel that would be a form of emotional abuse. That is my perspecitive. At the same time, I fully support whatever two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms as long as you keep it out of my line of sight or push your way of life on my family. I hope that makes my beliefs on this topic clear.

16. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 May, 2012, 11:07

And, these same people forget that joining the Scouts is voluntary. Don’t join if you don’t like their rules.

Katy

17. queeg
    queeg 10 May, 2012, 11:47

Political fossils regulate people’s bedrooms…..hetros should drop such activity….thought you hated regulation…..and are proponents of waving the flag of freedom.

18. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 12:41

“Political fossils regulate people’s bedrooms…..hetros should drop such activity…..”

Whatever you want to do in your bedroom is your business ….. as long as you aren’t abusing household pets. Just keep your sexual preferences to yourself and don’t push them on others who have no interest in whatever you do to yourself or with another consenting adult. Got it?

19. queeg
    queeg 10 May, 2012, 16:58

Gay bashing ends…read all about it!!!

20. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 17:06

Are you gay, queeq?

21. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 20:29

No answer means I have to guess.

22. queeg
    queeg 11 May, 2012, 08:20

Some have found new highs daily to impune the character of the enlightened posters….such a shame…this negative energy….seek redemption….go back to your formulative cherub roots!

23. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 11 May, 2012, 09:21

Asking a question is not impugning (btw, einstein, it’s not spelled ‘impune’) someone’s character. But I believe you answered my question. Thank you. Be proud. Say it.