L.A. Times password doesn’t work

July 12, 2012

By John Seiler

The Los Angeles Times seems determined to destroy itself. I pay for a paper subscription. So I’m supposed be able to log in to their online version with a password.

I’ve just spent 20 minutes trying to do so, but can’t.

This happens almost every day. They demand a that a new password be set up almost every day. So I do it. But this time it didn’t work.

As I’ve written before, it’s foolish for any newspaper that doesn’t write mostly about financial news to use this business model in the first place. But to set up an impossible gate is ridiculous.

No wonder they’re still in bankruptcy.

1. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 12 July, 2012, 08:42

The paper has no long term plan. It is a waddling walrus in a information age of deers and cheetahs who are breathless!

2. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 12 July, 2012, 10:46

Update: Somebody else emailed me about having the same problem.

Although I’ve long had problems with the Times’ liberal, high-tax, hyper-regulatory views, they sometimes have excellent reporting that I need to read for my job.

I finally logged in through Facebook. I guess the idea is to funnel everybody through Facebook. I’m not sure how that helps the Times.

— John Seiler

3. Donkey
    Donkey 12 July, 2012, 10:54

The same thing the OCR is into John, along with censoring those that post commits. 😉

4. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 12 July, 2012, 11:53

Despite the odd article that doesn’t carry water for the fascist ruling elite The L.A. Slimes is worse than worthless, like most (all?) major metropolitan newspapers. Even the O.C. Register, which is supposed to be a bastion of libertarian/conservative news is nothing but a collection of pervasively deceptive A.(lways)P.(rogressive) wire service articles and brain dead reporting from it’s own cookie cutter libtard “writers”. Am I the only person who notices that A.P. has a virtual monopoly on national and international news stories in this country? Since we have all of these heavy handed and intrusive anti-trust laws why aren’t they used to break up this dangerous news monopoly?

The Letters To The Editor section of The Register is dominated by the same cranks, know nothings and partisan buffoons week after dreary week. Try getting an intelligent opinion published there and see how far you get. It’s like they have a filter that screens out anything except vapid nonsense. I long ago stopped subscribing to The Times and have cut back on my O.C. Register subscription. The only part of The Register I read is the sport section and even that is poorly done.

The corrupt, tendentious and infuriatingly clueless blather that passes for objective reporting at these publications is too much for a sentient being to take. It seems as if the typical contemporary journalist has lost any capacity for curiosity or skepticism towards authority. Most reporting is nothing more than a simplistic regurgitation of special interest or partisan propaganda. I look forward with great enthusiasm to the inevitable financial bankruptcy of the dead tree media. It seems only proper that an industry so intellectually and ethically bankrupt should also suffer financial bankruptcy.

5. Rex The Wonder Dog!
    Rex The Wonder Dog! 12 July, 2012, 12:40

I also am a paying memeber and have the same problem…………..I am now signing in with a yahoo email account.

6. Amber B.
    Amber B. 12 July, 2012, 15:53

Hi John,

I’m sorry to hear you weren’t able to login into our site directly. If you would email me with more information at [email protected], subj: AMBER, I’d be more than happy to troubleshoot this with you. Our readers can sign in directly with us or through the social options, all depending on the initial registration.

I hope you’ll give me the chance to resolve this for you.

Amber B.
    Marketplace Customer Service Lead
    Los Angeles Times

7. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 12 July, 2012, 16:08

Amber B.: I finally logged in through Facebook. But I will check with you tomorrow, or perhaps next week, on the other log-in.

John Seiler

8. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 12 July, 2012, 16:11

Donkey: Censorship is using government coercion against free speech. That’s not happening here, obviously.

If you don’t like us, feel free to start your own blog, which you can do gratis at: http://blogger.com

— John Seiler

9. Rex The Wonder Dog!
    Rex The Wonder Dog! 12 July, 2012, 19:47

John, Donk’s censorship comment was aimed at the OCR, not you or CWD.

10. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 12 July, 2012, 20:56

Well, it seems I have achieved the dubious honor of my first censored comment in response to one of Uhauls sophomoric quips. Did someone’s feelings get hurt?

Here is a suggestion John. At some other websites when comments are extirpated the moderator sends a brief email explaining why. I know you’re busy but maybe you should try it, it’s the decent and professional thing to do. How else will we learn where the boundaries are?

P.S. When you remove comments that you don’t like that is censorship. The notion that censorship is only practiced by government is erroneous. Private censorship happens too. The difference is that you have a right to exercise censorship over this sight because it doesn’t involve coercion and you legitimately represent the private owners of this site. When governments do it there is coercion because there is no alternative and the threat of violence is necessary to get compliance. It’s true that Donkey or Beelzebub or I can take our comments elsewhere, but legitimate censorship is still being practiced here. I just disagree with your capricious and seemingly arbitrary standards for suppressing acerbic comments.

11. Donkey
    Donkey 12 July, 2012, 20:57

Rex, you are correct. John must have had a bad day. 😉

12. Donkey
    Donkey 12 July, 2012, 21:14

John, so you have never pulled a story/truth because a LE RAGWUS member requested you to do so?

I know over at the OCR anything the LE RAGWUS asks for it gets. There was only two reporters that had the balls to question the actions of the police. One was Savaadra and the other was Steven Greenhut. The rest of the OCR clan towed the government line. 🙂

13. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 12 July, 2012, 21:36

I wish CWD would censor Teddy and his sock puppets…………..

14. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 12 July, 2012, 22:25

This is the third time I have tried to post a comment here tonight without result. Did I get a time out John? What have I done to incur the wrath of the capricious censor behind the curtain? If you want comments on this website to be bland and innocuous that is your prerogative. But it makes for a boring website and I suspect, less web traffic in the long run. If that is your goal, I hope you succeed.

15. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 12 July, 2012, 22:30

Donkey: I still don’t know what Ragwus means. Please tell me.

Dyspeptic: I did delete a couple of insulting posts. I can’t remember if one was yours.

— John Seiler

16. Donkey
    Donkey 13 July, 2012, 07:10

John, this is the 5th time you have asked about the acronym “RAGWUS,” and I have answered you everytime.

RAGWUS: Robert Rizzo And Government Worker Union Scam 🙂

17. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 17 July, 2012, 19:16

Dyspeptic: Just saw your comment on “censorship,” and approved it. It was picked up by our spam filter. We get way too much spam and I don’t always get to it right away to restore the 1% that isn’t spam.

Let me say it again: We are exceedingly lenient here in what we allow for comments. But there are limits.

John Seiler