Gov. Brown’s Prop. 30 ego trip: How … Schwarzeneggerian!

Nov. 19, 2012

By Chris Reed

There was a triumphal quality to Jerry Brown’s speech Friday at the Moscone Center in San Francisco that went beyond the governor doing some chest-thumping over the success of Proposition 30. In repeatedly mocking the unspecified “declinists” who fight him on many issues in Sacramento, Brown was strutting for the cameras and casting Prop. 30’s failure as a voter ratification of the brilliance of his governance.

This is mind-boggling. Prop. 30 wasn’t sold to voters as a chance to give a boost to our genius geriatric governor and send a signal to Sacramento to treat him as a living deity. Instead, Prop.30 passed because it was successfully marketed as a grim threat to students:

Voters, you must approve a small general sales tax hike and a tax hike on the wealthy, or we will have a lost generation of young Californians!

Brown’s blackmail worked. For the governor to suggest that the success of his craven tactic is tantamount to voters saying, “Hey, Jerry, great job” — well, that’s amazing.

Brown has had some success governing, and I think he deserves more credit for the pension reform that he got through the Legislature in September than some pundits give him. But he hasn’t changed the arc of state government. He’s preserved the broken status quo, which is devoted above all else to preserving state and local government jobs with automatic step raises for time on the job — most especially for teachers. Hip hip hooray.

Nevertheless, the governor obviously thinks he deserves a pat on the back. So Jerry went ahead and administered it himself.

How … Schwarzeneggerian!

1. Douglas
    Douglas 20 November, 2012, 07:08

What is an “automatic step raise for time on the job”?

When Meg Whitman was campaigning, one of her pledges was to eliminate “automatic annual salary increases”

What?

When I was hired, starting pay was ten percent less than top pay for the class. After a year, IF the employee passed probation, he got a five percent increase, and another five percent at the second year if his performance was satisfactory.

For me, the same process was repeated through two promotions. For the next thirty years in the same position, I was topped out. No more “automatic step raises for time on the job”.

“Automatic step increases” were more like “reduced pay” for probationary periods.

2. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 07:53

Dougie, you truly are dumber than a bag of rocks!

Step pay are AUTOMATIC RAISES, at usually 6 or 12 month intervals, and can be last up to 15 years, or longer.

In education step raises are every year and are usually around 8-10%. They can last 10-15 years. Again, they are AUTOMATIC, everyone gets them, there is no discretion to stop them.

Why do you try to spin everything you comment on??????

3. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 09:57

A pay range for each public job contains steps, usually in five-percent increments. The normal is five steps. Most employees usually top out in three years, after which there are only COLA’s achieved through Collective Bargaining. Recently, at my former place of work, part-timers have been working at their Step A salaries for five years or more, and have received no step increases. A part-timer who came to work for me with small three-step scale, six years ago, has been stuck on Step B for four years with no outlook for the top Step C. For the majority of tje final 15 years at my workplace, the COLA’s, which were still being negotiated then, were usually from one to three percent. Those were the good days–non-existent at this time. Like Doug said, there is not and never were “automatic” step raises–they were earned through time on the job and good performance.

4. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 10:44

Bet you didn’t call Reagan names like, “geriatric” president did you!

5. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 11:17

seesae teachers have “step” increases for MUCH LONGER than 3 years, try 15-20.

6. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 11:46

I was not in the teaching profession. You know more about it than I do. I certainly have respect for teachers who spend 5-6 years+ in higher education getting the proper credentials, and when they do get to work for a living, the public wants to crucify them for wanting decent wages and working conditions. In the LA schools, I was told once, there are 87 different languages spoken by incoming students. Teachers have much more to deal with today than the teachers of old. You will never hear me disrespecting teachers.

7. Douglas
    Douglas 20 November, 2012, 13:06

SeeSaw:

My experience was in maintenance (Caltrans) Every position I saw the specs for, started out 10% below max and topped out in two step raises.

Teachers are different, I hear. They ALL get 8-10% raises every 6 or 12 months for 10-15 years. (try 15-20)

If you do that fuzzy math, it means their salary automatically triples every ten years (not counting COLA’s, of course, that’s even more gravy.)

Plus, they only work 37 weeks a year @36 hours per week.

” Teachers are not middle class when they’re comping 600%-700% more than the median wage.”

I know it sounds incredible, but I read it right here on the interweb. (CWD)

8. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 13:54

They ALL get 8-10% raises every 6 or 12 months for 10-15 years. (try 15-20)

Plus, they only work 37 weeks a year @36 hours per week.

==

All true 😉

9. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 17:10

I don’t believe it.

10. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 20 November, 2012, 17:17

“…..teachers who spend 5-6 years+ in higher education getting the proper credentials….”

As if THAT will make them good teachers?

We all know, from our OWN experience, that some of the best teachers might have only a year under their belts, and some of the worst have 20 years and a list of “credentials” as long as their arm. They still sucked.

The whole “credential” game is the biggest joke/worst policy in the entire Edusphere racket.

11. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 17:19

I have neighbors who are teachers–I live in a neighborhood of 50’s era tract houses. My neighbors are not living in manions in Beverly Hills. Eight to ten percent raises every six months for 15 years? That’s bull****!

12. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 17:21

What is the average median wage–$10 hr? At 600% more that would be $600/hr. Really, Rex! Why do you have to waste people’s time with such tripe!

13. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 20 November, 2012, 17:25

More on TEACHER CERTIFICATION……

I mean seriously – that just boils my blood. It’s not as if you have to know anything technical or exceptional to teach K-12, with the exception perhaps of math and science to upper classmen.

As to the rest…..do you REALLY need a math degree to teach 8th grade math? That’s preposterous. (A complete joke, as I alluded to earlier.)

Show me someone who is energetic, dynamic and can command attention, And I’ll show you someone who can teach just about anything.

14. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 17:26

==
    Actually it is only 1 year, two semesters, 1 semester of useless classes, the second student teaching, and a credential means NOTHING as there is no criteria based objective testing for it.

15. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 20 November, 2012, 17:27

Seesaw:

“What is the average median wage–$10 hr? At 600% more that would be $600/hr. ”

600% of 10 bucks an hour is 60 bucks.

YOU, sir, should NOT teach math – at any level.

16. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 20 November, 2012, 17:35

Rex:

A friend of my wife, an LAUSD teacher, 50-ish, just got her master’s in education.

I looked at the class list. The equivalent of 2 full years of useless, no objective criteria drivel. LOTS of diversity such and such, as you can imagine.

Intellectually a complete waste of time. But she enjoys that pop in her paycheck.

17. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 20 November, 2012, 17:53

I stand corrected–and as I said I was not a teacher. (I was the best geometry student, long ago.) I used a calculator but didn’t put decimal points in the right place. I am not a sir–. Still, will bet you dollars to donuts that teachers don’t get 8 to 10% raises every 6 months for 15 years. All the teachers I know are middle class. Whatever, they earn it, when you consider the educational requirements compared to what other degreed occupations pay.

18. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 19:57

Seesaw:

“What is the average median wage–$10 hr? At 600% more that would be $600/hr. ”

600% of 10 bucks an hour is 60 bucks.

YOU, sir, should NOT teach math – at any level.

LOL…seesaw is even dumber than Dougie, and he is dumber than a bag of rocks….the AVERAGE teacher comp is actually $80/hour.

I think the mean state salary is $29K/year which would be about $14/hour

19. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 19:58

==
    Go back and READ seesaw, teachers get annual step increases-10-15-20 years, OTHER trougher jobs get 6 month step increases.