CA bullet train: Parade of bad news continues

April 11, 2013

By Chris Reed

On Wednesday, there was yet another negative headline coming out of Sacramento about the bullet-train fiasco:

“A State Assembly budget committee voted Wednesday to approve a loan for the High-Speed Rail Authority.

“The $26.2 million would cover operating costs for the agency that’s building California’s bullet train while it seeks to resolve legal challenges over its use of voter-approved bonds.

“In 2008, Californians approved Proposition 1A, authorizing the state to issue $9 billion in bonds to build a bullet train that speeds riders from Los Angeles to San Francisco in  less than three hours.

“But critics say the High-Speed Rail Authority’s latest plan for the project won’t provide that fast of a ride. ‘They are claiming that they can still meet the two hours and forty minutes, but they don’t have any evidence to show that,’ said attorney Stu Flashman, who’s suing the state on behalf of various cities and environmental groups to stop the project.”

While this is bad news for bullet-train fans, it can be seen as great news for bullet-train foes — i.e., sane people. It shows that as gung ho as Jerry Brown and the rail cultists are about the project, they’re nervous about the potency of the legal challenges it faces.

As they should be. In a just world, the bullet train would be dead. State law should matter.

1. Dyspetic
    Dyspetic 11 April, 2013, 13:23

It is sweet irony indeed that a coalition of NIMBY’S and Enviros will sue Jerry’s Browndoggle into the stone age. I can’t wait to dance on the grave of this ridiculous scam. Should I do the Crazy Chicken, The Boogaloo or the Macarena?

2. us citizen
    us citizen 11 April, 2013, 15:05

I think a combo of gangnam style with the monster mash and waaaaa-watusi would be great. Pix please.

3. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 11 April, 2013, 16:34

I agree, Dys. But unfortunately the Browndoggle will not die quickly. It will thrash about in its death throes for some time…..and all the while millions are spent every day on planning, budgeting, engineering, economic forecasting (such as it is), land confiscation….err “assembly”….etc.

I live in Irvine, and for close to ten years now we have been dealing with the incredible disaster that has been The Great Park. Look it up if your feeling a bit too chipper and need to come down a notch.

The Browndoggle, of course, is the Great Park on ‘roids.

4. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 11 April, 2013, 20:54

I know, I know JD. I got swept away by an uncharacteristic wave of optimism. I agree that it will be many billions of dollars before the Browndoggle assumes room temp. Same for Larry Agran’s ego trip in Irvine. I live in the OC too so I am very familiar with our local boondoggle.

5. Hondo
    Hondo 12 April, 2013, 09:26

By law, this project has to have private investment. Have the proponents showed anyone investing any private dollars in this mess. I haven’t see any yet.
    And how are they gonna stop the Cali condor from landing on the tracks to eat a dead rabbit or coyote. The first explosion of feathers means a shut down from the Feds.
    Hondo….

Lessons of San Diego mayor’s race: How about ‘none’?

The victory of Republican Councilman Kevin Faulconer over Democratic Councilman David Alvarez on Feb. 11 in the special election to

Remember Pearl Harbor — 73 years ago

Most of us remember where we were on 9/11. Older baby boomers remember where they were when JFK was shot.

Worst Campaign Ever

Katy Grimes: ( read below for an UPDATE) I received a link to a hilarious website today called the “Worst