Sacto City Clerk rejects petition to put arena subsidy to a public vote

Sacto City Clerk rejects petition to put arena subsidy to a public vote

In another twist in Sacramento’s arena derangement syndrome, a petition drive to put a public subsidy for the proposed Sacramento basketball arena project to a public vote, has been rejected by the Sacramento City Clerk.

arena1

Friday, the city clerk announced that she rejected the petitions, along with 34,000 signatures, on the grounds some of the petition versions did not comply with election code.

“Due to technical issues identified in the submitted petitions, I find the petition noncompliant with significant provisions of the California Elections Code and the Sacramento City Charter, and therefore insufficient to move forward,” Shirley Concolino, Sacramento City Clerk, said in a press release.

Yet, just last week, the Sacramento County Registrar certified there were enough verified signatures on the petitions to qualify the measure for the ballot.

The signatures were collected by STOP, Sacramento Taxpayers Opposed to Pork, and Voters for a Fair Arena Deal, to put the decision of whether a public subsidy for the new arena project downtown, should be on the ballot in the city of Sacramento.

“The4000, a group representing the new downtown arena plan responded to Friday’s decision by saying, ‘For STOP, this has never been about a vote and democracy; it has always been about tricking voters and stalling the arena with a two-part vote designed to blow up the project,’” reported Fox 40 news.

The4000 is a group headed up my Mayor Kevin Johnson, a former NBA player. “The downtown arena is an extraordinary, once-in-a-generation project with a profound potential to generate catalytic economic benefits for the downtown, city and region,” The4000 claims.

In the letter Concolino sent to STOP about her decision, she cited the nine different petition versions as being problematic. Concolino said even though the petition’s signatures are valid, they were gathered before STOP officially filed their notice of intent with the city clerk’s office.

“During my review I identified that nine different petition versions were submitted,” Concolino said in the letter. “While this in itself is not cause for rejection, it substantially increased the complexity of processing, reviewing, and evaluating the sufficiency of the petition. Among the nine versions, some differences are minimal while others are more substantial. The number of versions is not necessarily a determining factor; but each version still must comply with the Elections Code. And many of the petitions do not conform to the Elections Code because they have different language than what is contained in the Notice of Intent.”

Last week, members of STOP told me they had a top elections attorney in the state review the petitions, and were told they complied with the law.

STOP and  Voters for a Fair Arena Deal can file a civil lawsuit in state court and let a judge decide. I hope they choose this route. The city has overreached once again in its attempt to prevent taxpayers from having a vote on this subsidy.

It’s not about building a new arena; this is only about whether on not taxpayers get stuck with a nearly $400 million  public subsidy.

6 comments

Write a comment
  1. billybs
    billybs 25 January, 2014, 16:05

    Time for Kevin Johnson to be fitted for a toga. This has been fun to watch this play out. When I found out Sac charges non residents for special fees(fire/police) for a call because of an accident, I vowed to never visit again. A city pointing to spectator sports as the key to the city’s future, Ugh.

    Reply this comment
  2. bob
    bob 25 January, 2014, 20:46

    Sorry Katy, but you are just going to have to accept the fact that you will be paying higher taxes to support multi-millionaire ball players and their billionaire boss.

    Reply this comment
    • Rex the Wonder Dog!
      Rex the Wonder Dog! 26 January, 2014, 21:37

      Sorry Katy, but you are just going to have to accept the fact that you will be paying higher taxes to support multi-millionaire ball players and their billionaire boss.

      The saddest part of your comment is that it is spot on.

      How did America turn from one of the greatest countries, if not thee greatest, in the world with a rising middle class that covered 80% of the population to corporate and employment WELFARE for Billionaires and government employees at the expense of all the rest of us???????????????????????????????????

      The saddest part is we are in total decline. Have been for 20 years at least.

      Have been in a depression since 4th quarter 2007, 6+ years, with no hope in sight.

      Sad.

      Reply this comment
  3. bob
    bob 25 January, 2014, 20:47

    But here is a nice doggy to take your mind off of it…

    “A dog named Caique wears a hat and shirt on Arpoador Beach in Rio de Janeiro. His owners said that they like to dress up Caique for dog parades and that they enjoy it when pedestrians take his picture.”

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2014/01/24/Foreign/Images/AP10ThingsToSee_Brazil_Daily_Life-0b032.jpg

    Reply this comment
  4. Spurwing Plover
    Spurwing Plover 3 May, 2016, 15:28

    The Clerk is a jerk

    Reply this comment

Write a Comment

Leave a Reply



Related Articles

Seiler Plan to Balance the Budget

John Seiler: Why didn’t somebody think of this before? Balancing the state budget is easy. I call it the Seiler

Long-ago union payoff now haunts CA pension reform

In his Tuesday Sac Bee story about the federal government preparing to withhold funds for state construction projects because the

State job-creation incentives fall short – again

In February 2014, Gov. Jerry Brown’s administration unveiled an Economic Development Initiative to replace an enterprise zone program that had