Covered CA enrollees not necessarily Obamacare fans

Covered CA enrollees not necessarily Obamacare fans

CoveredCalifornia1There’s a logical fallacy to the stories, editorials and social media buzz saying or strongly implying that Covered California is a triumph because it is doing better than expected at signing up people for the Golden State’s version of Obamacare. Just because they’ve signed up doesn’t mean these Californians are happy.

There were stories last year warning that physician availability under Covered California policies would be a problem in rural areas. But in San Diego County, where I live, I’ve heard quite a few stories like this one from a woman who lives in Cardiff, an affluent coastal community:

“I was probably the biggest cheerleader for Obamacare in San Diego when I first signed up. I had some rather rare health issues recently, so I chose the best possible individual Covered California plan, the Blue Shield Platinum PPO, at over $1,000 per month. I checked their provider list carefully when I first signed up, and all my doctors and facilities were on their list.

“But, to my constant frustration, in the last few months all my previous doctors, specialists and medical facilities have not renewed their contracts with Blue Shield. I have to go to Los Angeles for one of my specialists because there are none on my plan in San Diego. The providers tell me that their reimbursement by Blue Shield is less than what they receive for basic Medicare.

“I am trapped in a horrible situation, yet I am not allowed to change insurance plans until next year. This is ‘bait and switch.’ That would be illegal if I were buying a car or some other major purchase.”

That is from a letter to the editor in Saturday’s U-T San Diego newspaper.

Polls consistently showed three-quarters of Americans were happy with their health care before the Affordable Care Act. This fact both explains the heavy opposition to the ACA and shows why previously insured people who sign up for Obamacare will be inclined to gripe about the product they’re getting.

If they liked their old health care, and this version costs more, they won’t be happy. Especially if they face hassles of any kind, like the woman from Cardiff.

1. Fred Mangels
    Fred Mangels 10 May, 2014, 10:45

I was one of those on County Medical Services Program that got booted from that program and told to apply for MediCal or ACA. Since my share of cost for CMSP was between $600 to $650 a month, I pretty much paid all my medical expenses out of pocket, which I didn’t mind.

I now have an Anthem/ Blue Cross ACA plan. I’m not sure how it will work out as I have yet to see the doctor since I signed up. I was warned by at least one local fellow that my doctor’s office might not accept it. I called in and asked.

The receptionist said they currently process all A/BC insurance plans the same way. As of yet they’re not sure if they’ll continue to accept the ACA plans. It depends on ACA’s reimbursement rates. We shall see.

How many other practices accept ACA plans in my area, I have no idea. I’m glad mine does, at least for now.

2. Queeg
    Queeg 11 May, 2014, 08:21

Articles on Covered California are grossly misleading……

Most signees are heavily, heavily subsidized gaining health coverage on the cheap while others pay an enormous cost….a punishment for working hard and earning a well earned salary or business profits.

Are the subsidized unhappy? Only fool article writers think they are disgruntled…who turns down a free lunch from Cheesecake Factory?

3. Ted O'Steele, CEO
    Ted O'Steele, CEO 11 May, 2014, 08:40

LOL– Keep trying Chris— Obamacare ™ works little buddy. By 2016 we’ll have 30 million Americans covered—- it will be fun to watch the Republican clown car of candidates try to campaign against THAT !!!

But thanks for playing!

• Donkey
      Donkey 11 May, 2014, 12:17

Can’t get a much more ignorant response than what TCS wrote: “Obamacare ™ works little buddy. By 2016 we’ll have 30 million Americans covered..”

Lets see, 90% non-payers, so 27 million more freebees for the down trodden, yea that is going to work real well you fool.

But TCS, happy mothers day you tool, I bet she was glad to see you go!! 🙂

4. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 11 May, 2014, 21:52

What a nasty chap!

Your meds?

5. SkippingDog
    SkippingDog 13 May, 2014, 17:27

I’ve been a Blue Cross customer for many years, even though I’ve never liked them. They’re just like all the other health insurance companies. I’ve felt the same way about Aetna and Kaiser when they’ve been my health insurance providers in the past.

6. Ted O'Steele, CEO
    Ted O'Steele, CEO 14 May, 2014, 21:24

The Ted has Blue Shield and The Ted likes them alot!

7. Chris Reed
    Chris Reed Author 22 May, 2014, 23:32

Ted’s patronizing, self-congratulatory act is so tired. No one else ever has a point. Obamacare is great, “little buddy.”

Onanism.