Controller: No CalPERS controls on pension spiking

Controller: No CalPERS controls on pension spiking

Pension reform shredded, Cagle, Wolverton, Aug. 25, 2014With the state facing $500 billion in unfunded pension liabilities, you might think the state’s pension funds would do everything they could to make sure the liabilities would not go even higher. To quote the late John Belushi, But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Controller John Chiang just issued a report that found:

“CalPERS’ current efforts for reviews of reporting entities include, in part, procedures for
detecting pension spiking. The available resources limit its annual reviews to only 45, or
1.5% of the more than 3,000 reporting entities. At this current rate, pension spiking could go
undetected for an extended period of time, as each reporting entity would be reviewed, at the
earliest, every 66 years.”

A 1.5 percent review rate means just 15 percent every 10 years.

Pension spiking means maneuvers by employees to rig the system, legally, to sharply increase their compensation in their last year of employment; it’s that last year on which pension numbers are calculated.

The spiking could cost state taxpayers $800 million over the next 20 years.

The report recommended:

“Continue to use a risk-based analysis and other evidence-based criteria to identify which reporting entities to review. To aid in its annual workplan, CalPERS should include the “high-pay compensation in excess of $245,000” attribute in its annual risk assessment. This attribute can be given a larger weighting in the risk analysis to satisfy the CalPERS Board’s concerns. This analysis should be used to determine the number of entities that should be reviewed each year as well as the resources needed to properly provide program oversight.”

That’s not enough. Some more effective reforms would include:

1. Limit the top pay for any state or local employee to $100,000 per year.

2. Limit pensions to $50,000 a year.

3. Apply the pension limit to both current employees and those already retired.

1. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 13 September, 2014, 08:56

Shocking!

Jaw Dropping!

2. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 13 September, 2014, 09:51

Spiking has been an open problem now for years. Anyone who’s not in a coma and pays attention knows about it. Instead of repeatedly rehashing this news item I think it’s time to come to a common understanding that the State leadership is fully aware of the problem. The ones in charge condone it. It’s a payback and a perk for those who work for the gov, especially public safety which we know is the foremost spiking violator. We already know that the public unions own these thieves. It’s sort of like the problem with illegal indigents saturating the state, stealing jobs, robbing the taxpayers, ruining entire cities (ie. LA), destroying our way of life…. The governor himself in the last couple weeks was quoted to say “It doesn’t matter if you have permission to be in the United States. Your welcomed in California.” He doesn’t care what you think. And he doesn’t care about his sworn oath.

It’s over, folks. We’re done. You’re not going to stop it now. It’s too late for that. Too much momentum. We have open anarchy for the privileged and the elite. Civilized behavior no longer applies to the protected classes. What you are witnessing now is “in your face” sort of stuff. The oligarchs don’t give a damn what you think. They dominate you. It’s probably easier and less stressful to submit until it all comes crashing down.

3. Maxine
    Maxine 13 September, 2014, 10:05

Weren’t pensions originally given by large businesses as perks for employees to ensure loyalty and hard work? Even FDR said government departments should NEVER be unionized. So, now the unions have more power than the people? We have absolutely no recourse against paying our hard earned dollars to provide a very lucrative retirement to teachers that have proven to be the most ineffective, lazy people in the workforce? What is wrong with us? Is there no one out there that will come forward and say it is unconstitutional? We are being forced to reward incompetence to the point of bankruptcy, and our government and judges act like they are afraid of the unions. Or maybe they are being paid off to look the other way….Sounds familiar – “The love of money is the root of all evil”

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 13 September, 2014, 16:17

If you research California’s K-12 national ranking on academic peformance you would find we were ranked among the best in the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s. Overall, the Ca public schools offered a solid education to the kids who did well on the standardized tests.

Today we rank 46 out of 50, despite the fact that K-12 gets nearly half the State’s budget.

The teacher’s unions and illegal immigration are the primary reasons for the deterioration.

Everyone knows this. But nothing is done to stop it.

Education is the driving force of prosperity in any state.

As the educational system deteriorated, so did California.

Pathetic.

4. Donkey
    Donkey 13 September, 2014, 20:54

John, you are sounding more like me everyday!!! Go Bruins!!! 🙂

John wrote: “That’s not enough. Some more effective reforms would include: 1. Limit the top pay for any state or local employee to $100,000 per year. 2. Limit pensions to $50,000 a year.” I could not agree more!!! Keep writing this John, the RAGWUS must be put to death!! 🙂

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 13 September, 2014, 22:00

How long have we been complaining about the disparity between the public and private sector retirement systems? For well over a decade now. How many articles have I read about how the common taxpayer is getting screwed by the public pensions? Probably 200 (20 per year). How many times have we been reminded about the public pension unfunded liabilities? Too many times to count. We know and the politicians know and the judges know. Everybody knows.

Now have there been any really significant changes with regard to the public sector retirement system during that time period. No. Only superficial crap. The system we had in 2001 is still with us today in 2014.

That tells me to expect more of the same until the math catches up with them. And we really don’t know how long that will take. I’m done calling and writing politicians about it. They already know. They don’t care. All of them are part of the same corrupted system. Why would they change the system to screw themselves? Same with the judges.

And, for the most part, the people don’t care. When’s the last time you recall a massive public protest over public pension reform?

The only thing that will put an end to it is a gigantic financial meltdown. Unfortunately that won’t just hurt the public sector. In that event we’re all screwed.

Your solutions (1) and (2) are fun to read. But it would never happen voluntarily. It’s pure fantasy.

You aren’t dealing with fair or civilized people here. They will steal whatever is not nailed down as long as the victims submit.

5. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 13 September, 2014, 23:39

What is wrong for getting paid well for good work?

Caps on wages is Nixon/Carter style faux pas….two incredible losers….

6. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 13 September, 2014, 23:49

Hey, that Neuheisel kid sure shined for UCLA against U of Texas, eh? A red-shirt sophomore with no game experience steps in for the injured QB Hundley, throws 75% completions for about 200 yards, 2 TD’s, no interceptions and brings home a win! His dad was a great college QB. Looks like the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. I hope he gets more playing time this year.

7. Desmond
    Desmond 14 September, 2014, 05:16

There are few things more corrupt than public financed college athletics.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 14 September, 2014, 08:38

Desmond,

Did you read that the kids are demanding union representation and salaries in college football now? Free education and room & board are not enough. They want contracts and the big bucks. Watch, they’ll get it too! Naturally, this means that the richest schools and those willing the pay the most get the best selection of players will dominate the conferences. And, of course, this means that the tuition for the kid who is not an athlete and who just wants to get an education (the primary purpose of a university) is going to be forced to pay more for tuition and fees so the players get their million dollar contracts. The colleges will have to form whole new departments to negotiate and process all the contracts. As if tuition isn’t high enough with 23 years olds saddled with $50,000 student loan debt for a sheepskin that might not even qualify them for a $15/hr job.

I’m damn glad that I’m as old as I am.

• Donkey
      Donkey 14 September, 2014, 22:00

Desmond, college football is corrupt, but not nearly as corrupt as the Prison Industrial Complex (PIC) to which millions of Americans are being fleeced of their money and stripped of their freedom. Go Bruins!! 🙂

8. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 14 September, 2014, 10:07

Did anyone other than me watch USC get absolutely trounced by Boston College, a second rate college football team, last night? lol. BC had 452 rushing yards against USC. The most any team gained against the Trojans since 1977. USC only managed 20 rushing yards.

Sark has his work cut out for him. Last week USC squeaked by Stanford on points – but if you look at the boxscore stats Stanford beat them on paper. The diehard USC fans claimed the Trojans would be a powerhouse and take the Pac-12 this year. lol. All of them must have throbbing hangovers this morning. 😀

Oregon is the team to beat. If Mariota stays healthy I think they’ll make it to the national championship game this year.

9. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 15:07

Maxine–FDR has been dead for 69 years. Several of our past presidents owned slaves–so would you think that would be ok now, since some past presidents did it? JFK gave CB rights to federal workers–he evidently did not agree with FDR.

The subject of FDR aside–Ken Burns has a Roosevelt documentary movie, covering the personal and professional lives of Teddy, Franklin, and Eleanor (Teddy was Franklin’s fifth cousin and Eleanor was Teddy’s neice) showing on PBS Channel 50 (KOCE) from 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. for seven nights, beginning tonight.

LIC: My grandson went to UCLA and I changed by allegiance from USC to UCLA because of him. He graduated from UCLA, and now he is going to grad school at USC. I now find myself rooting for USC, just dying for what happened yesterday–all because of my grandson–I’m sure those results made him very unhappy. When the big game comes, I think I will go to the mall.

10. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 15:19

There is already a PEPRA Cap of $113,000 on pensionable income for all workers hired after Jan. 1, 2013. Don’t be silly–if the pensions of all those retirees who make $100K or more were reduced to $50,000, the retirement amounts of people like me would have to be lowered to $20,000–I already pay $17,400 per year out of my pocket for my share of, secondary to Medicare, ABC medical insurance for my spouse and me. Thankfully, you cannot legally do what you propose!

11. Desmond
    Desmond 14 September, 2014, 16:55

My generation won t let people hide behind laws, while you rigged the laws in your favor. To quote a Russian president, We(my generation) will bury you, our timetable not yours. Enjoy the mall.

12. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 19:44

I had about as much involvement in making laws and you or anybody else. I mail out my ballot every election. I happen to come from what is considered the best generation–so put that in your pipe and smoke it. And get off the threat, mister! I do not tolerate being threatened and it better not happen again!

• Donkey
      Donkey 14 September, 2014, 22:05

SeeSaw, you know the RAGWUS is the most corrupt organization in existence. Why act as if you were not a part of the Quid Pro Quo to steal from the younger generation to fund your greed. There will be a reckoning SeeSaw, the tables will turn of the RAGWUS thieves. 🙂

13. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 19:47

Threats don’t go over with me. So you can stuff it!

14. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 19:52

Oh, aren’t you the bright one–threatening another poster from behind that keyboard in your dark basement! I will enjoy the mall, and will also enjoy my college football!

15. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 19:55

Who rigged any laws–not me, unless casting my vote at each election is law rigging. I don’t like being threatened–so next time stick with any other point you want to make. I will enjoy the mall if I choose to go there and will enjoy college athletics too.

16. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 14 September, 2014, 21:16

Seesaw, I never used to care who won the USC-UCLA games. I’d usually decide the day of the game which team I wanted to win unless I had some money bet on the game. But in the last several years I’ve gone with UCLA exclusively. I’m sick and tired of all the scandals at USC. The latest being the captain of the team pushing a BS hero story about jumping off a baloney to save his drowning nephew. What an idiot.

What’s your grandson’s major at USC, seesaw? Public Administration? Is he going to follow in grandma’s footsteps and work for the gubmint? What a waste of education that would be. I would hope that a grad student at USC would have higher aspirations than that. Whatever he decides to do I wish him the best of luck.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much student debt has your grandson accumulated to date?

17. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 14 September, 2014, 21:28

Desmond, your generation needs to show us that you have backbones. I haven’t seen any pushback from you kids at all. It appears that you’ve rolled over. You’re letting the oligarchs from my generation run roughshod over ya. Look how much they’re charging you for a lousy college degree. Highway robbery. Get together with some of your friends and start a campus protest like we used to do. Do you know what a “sit-in” is? When I was your age we stopped a war.

• Donkey
      Donkey 14 September, 2014, 22:11

I would like to see that happen LIC, but many of the younger kids seem to believe that government, the same government that gunned down American Indians at Wounded Knee, and shot the kids at Kent State, are going to save the day. Most have the illusion that more Obamacare type programs are the answer, when the exact opposite is the answer.

The RAGWUS will destroy itself, but it will fall even faster if the younger kids would take the RAGWUS by the horns and beat it down. 🙂

• LetitCollapse
        LetitCollapse 14 September, 2014, 22:58

I understand Desmond’s anger, Donkey. If I were his age and getting plundered, shaken down and financially raped by the senior generation I would be darned mad too. My parent’s generation wouldn’t have done that to our generation in a thousand years. My parent’s generation sacrificed so that we could live better than they did. And then we turn around and strongarm today’s young people. Absolutely repulsive!

Desmond needs to convince 10 of his friends that their futures are being ruined by the boomers. And each of those 10 friends need to convince another 10…right on down the line. I’d love to see the young folks confront us and say “We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore!”. I just can’t believe that they’re so stupid to believe that we’re acting in their best interests. I give them more credit than that. Look at the massive amounts of debt that we’re handing off to them. No way can they survive it. Somehow they’ve been buffaloed into believing that politicians like Rand Paul will save them! 😀 I just read in the New York Times today that Rand Paul is disavowing his liberatarian beliefs. He’s sold out to the mainsteam Republicans. None of them can be trusted anymore.

The young people need to grab the bull by it’s horns and demand changes before their entire generations get flushed.

• LetitCollapse
        LetitCollapse 14 September, 2014, 23:12

Oh, that Rand Paul article was in the Washington Post. Not the NY Times, Donkey. My bad. Here it is:

“From aid for Israel to abortion to Medicare, Sen. Rand Paul (R- Ky.) has been shading, changing or dropping some of the positions he espoused as a tea-party-backed candidate and as a new senator.”

He’s on his way to be a mainstream Republican, Donkey. He’s selling out. Somebody must have stuffed his pockets. I remember when he claimed he was going to be different. The people’s politician. He was going to show us a new way. He wasn’t going to be part of the ordinary rigged bureaucracy. He was going to espouse libertarian values. BS.

The longer they stay in that political cess pool the dirtier they get. They enter politics clean as the wind driven snow – angelic – and in a few short years are transformed into the devil incarnate like the rest of them.

The entire system is rotted to the core.

18. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 23:23

LIC: It is not the college’s fault that a football player told a false story about a personal event, because he was afraid of the consequences if the truth got out. Its just sad and not the fault of USC or principals in the football program.

I am a proud grandparent–all I can say. (I too am a sports-enthusiast. I attended the USC-UCLA game, at the Coliseum, the first year I was in CA–I didn’t care who won, and don’t even remember, but it was exciting.)

Good lord, there are thousands of people in CA working for the government right now, in many capacities! There is nothing shameful about earning a living that way. I have nothing to be ashamed about concerning how I sustained myself! I never planned to work in the public-sector–it just happened to be the place where I found a job. You can say all you want about this country and its government without fearing that you or your children will disappear in the night. You should try living in any other country and publicly saying the things there that you are allowed to say in this country, and on a forum such as this!

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 15 September, 2014, 09:55

Apparently you didn’t follow the story, seesaw.

The football team did not vet the BS story of the team’s captain about jumping off a 2nd or 3rd story balconey to save his nephew from drowning. The coach PUBLICLY lauded him as a hero. As soon as the story hit the news I suspected it was BS. There were so many holes in his story it smelled like swiss cheese. He was described a exemplary and one of the most trustworthy players on the team. And now he’s lawyered up with a criminal defense attorney! If he’s exemplary, what does it say about the rest of the team? And he was voted team captain!!! 😀

Sorry, USC is still on sanctions by the NCAA for past wrongs. And now this happens. I can’t stand USC. And I am so happy that Boston College trounced them on Saturday.

Is your grandson’s major ‘Public Administration’, seesaw?

Government work is an escape from the real working world. It’s the easy way out. In my experience people with real ambition and drive in life avoid the public sector like the plague.

19. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 September, 2014, 23:30

You have quite an imagination, Donkey. You need therapy!!!

20. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 15 September, 2014, 08:12

Collapso and Donkey….the Doom Machine…….Yew!

21. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 15 September, 2014, 11:42

No, LIC the major is not Public Administration. He has the option of making his own choices. In my opinion PA would be a good major–it is a worthy vocation, and the end result for a well-educated person getting a top job in that sector would be the opportunity to serve the public and hopefully, would also result in lifetime security. You have a lot of BS opinions–you advocate anarchy–shameful! Right now I am fanning USC because my grandson is a student there, and I like to see my grandchildren happy. I have a better reason for my stance, than you have for hating a whole college football program because of the frailties of one player, and a failure of oversight by a coach. I will focus on the game–not the personal story of someone I do not know.

22. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 15 September, 2014, 12:56

“You have a lot of BS opinions–you advocate anarchy–shameful!”

You are misrepresenting what I think, seesaw. Shame on you!

I promote the exact opposite of anarchy. I want order restored! I want ‘equality of the law’ restored. I do not want to live in a society where the elite and powerful are not subject to the same laws as everyone else. Do you favor anarchy for the powerful?

Do you favor banksters laundering billions in drug proceeds and no one gets prosecuted? Do you favor government hacks smuggling thousands of assault rifles across our southern borders into the hands of the drug cartels used to murder thousands of people and no one gets prosecuted? Do you favor criminal finanicial fraud gone wild on Wall Street and no one gets prosecuted. Do you favor our borders intentionally left wide open for illegal indigents and terrorists to come into America at will and no one gets prosecuted? Do you favor the IRS targeting people for their political beliefs and no one gets prosecuted? Well, do you?

I think you owe me an apology for misrepresenting my beliefs, seesaw.

And read my previous comment. I dislike USC for the numerous scandals that have plagued their football program. They are still sanctioned by the NCAA for previous violations. The latest one wasn’t the first by any stretch.

I hope Oregon State beats USC on the 27th too. Go Beavers!

So what’s your grandson’s major? Home Economics?

23. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 15 September, 2014, 13:43

I believe in facts–not propaganda that is spinned like cotton candy. I think that urging a student, if that’s what he is, to lead an uprising against his own local government, you are promoting anarchy. I have my own standards, which are pretty high, but I will watch the games for what they are–entertainment. And, I will always support both USC and UCLA unless they are playing WY. I have no relatives at Oregon U. The traffic parade from the Oregon-WA line south on the I-5 to the Ducks’ stadium exit is quite an experience. It was quite tedious for people just trying to get back home to CA, as my spouse and I were. Their was no doubt where they were all going though, with their poms-poms hanging out of their trunk lids and windows.

No, it is not HE. The School of Science and Letters–framework for many career choices, I would think.

24. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 15 September, 2014, 14:36

“I think that urging a student, if that’s what he is, to lead an uprising against his own local government, you are promoting anarchy.”

Students have the inherent right to protest school tuition and fees that are off the charts. Students have the inherent right to protest over $20 trillion dollars of debt that will get handed down to them by the baby boom generation. And civil disobedience is as America as apple pie. Without it the blacks would still be drinking from separate fountains and using separate restrooms. It is not anarchy. The elite and the powerful practice anarchy daily. I gave you many examples. Apparently you can’t comprehend what you read.

Why did you travel on the I-5 past the Oregon Duck’s stadium on the same day as a home game? Sounds pretty stupid to me. Is Oregon supposed to arrange their home game schedule around your travel dates??? Grow up, seesaw.

Oregon will win the PAC-12 conference and likely the national championship as long as Mariota stays healthy. The Ducks would beat USC by 5 touchdowns. USC won’t even make it to the conference playoffs this year. So a USC-Oregon game is doubtful since they don’t play each other in the regular season.

And tell your husband to plan in advance the next time he travels. 😉

25. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 15 September, 2014, 16:10

You were advocating protests of the public sector just because it exists–that’s why I disagree. Well, the travel situation was no big deal–we did not check sports schedules in Oregon before we left WA–how many would? You are the one making it into a big deal saying I should grow up. I was just relating the fact that we were traveling south on the I-5 and found ourselves in the midst of the exodus of Ducks fans. Did you see me aim any criticism at the situation, other than the fact that we were in it, except to note that it was an experience? You are quite the spinner!!

The parents of my grandson are baby boomers–they are the ones who put him through UCLA. You also have quite an imagination–blaming parents who have supported their children through their whole lives!! If you don’t see a crisis–just make one up.

26. Desmond
    Desmond 15 September, 2014, 18:49

No threats to the poster “child” 0f the “Most Headed Generation,”
    Just telling you what to expect. What a pompous fool, like a new day Bernard-Rene
    De Launay. My generation will be fine. We respect no convention from your time.
    We will break things to fix. Do you do anything pretty productive? mall, football.
    You wish you could keep us in the basement. Swine.

27. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 15 September, 2014, 19:58

It’s the ones with attitudes like hers that you need to beware of, Desmond. The ones who willfully pile loads of debt on your generation and feel no need to apologize for it. As if it’s their birthright.

The baby boomer generation is the most selfish generation to ever inhabit the United States of America. I apologize for the precarious postition that we have put your generation in.

28. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 15 September, 2014, 21:21

Time out. El Collapso…..time to leave again….no mas!

29. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 15 September, 2014, 23:07

Speak about yourself, not me, LIC. I am not part of the boomer generation. My children are and have worked hard all their adult lives and have put their own children through college–they can’t be classified as selfish. CalPERS and CalSTRS were founded and in operation before I was ever born. What generation does Desmond come from? I guess the one that feels comfortable referring to someone he has never met as, swine? My-my–how classy you both are!

30. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 16 September, 2014, 10:06

If you favor dumping all the debt from the pensions and the State & Federal debt on the young people and future generations then my comment is directed at you. Selfishness goes beyond the way people care for their own children. It is directly related to how one generation treats the generations that follow it. Offloading tons of debt on young people who are not responsible for the accumulation of that debt is incredibly pompous, greedy and egocentric. The year CalPers and CalStrs were founded has nothing to do with it. If I chose to belong to a certain club I must take responsibility for that decision.

At the very least, Desmond and his generation deserve an apology.

31. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 16 September, 2014, 11:01

I don’t know, at this point, what generation Desmond belongs to–he’s not very polite, whatever group he inhabits. We do not choose our birth date! I have nothing to apologize for and nothing to be ashamed about. I was forced to give up my spousal, share of SS benefits, upon retirement, due to the fact that I have a public pension–how is that for taking responsibility, albeit it forced, when the wife of Mitt Romney can have her spousal share! As far as any of this diatribe goes–I was hearing the same accusations when I was a child–we were going to grow up and have to shoulder the debt of our parents. I don’t think that public pensioners are responsible for all of the price increases that we have had to shoulder throughout our lives–I used to pay a nickel for a roll of Scott, toilet tissue–now it is a dollar and I scour the ads weekly looking for a 60-cent sale. I left WY in 1956–headed for CA with $200 in my pocket–got an apartment and a job in that order–who can do that now? I’m sure the public pensioners are the cause of all these phenominal increases in the cost of living! Fortunately, the public pensioners have the money to buy those necessities. Go put some more drips in your beer LIC, and be sure to keep the cheese on hand.

32. Desmond
    Desmond 16 September, 2014, 12:38

YOurs truly is 29. It goes without saying there would be no apology from the poster child for the most hated generation. Many of my generation have some maturing to do, including yours truly, but one thing we will never do, is to walk away from our generational debt with such a strident, pompous, arrogant attitude. You are offended being called a swine. Ok, I will back off from that and will even apolgize, but you should be ashamed of your generation. Instead…..
    “I was promised, I worked 35 years.” “I am owed…”
    That is what I read between the lines(if not explicitly stated) of your blogs and most of your peers.
    People criticize my generation for self-absorption.
    We have excellent role models.

33. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 16 September, 2014, 14:38

I am grandmother to people your age, Desmond. And, again, I will say that I am not a baby boomer! The parents of my grandchildren are the boomers and they are anything but selfish–they have worked their fingers to the bone for those kids and have put them through college. You are nothing like my grandchildren–they are polite and appreciative for what has been given to them. You are to be pitied! I have to say that I am certainly ashamed of you–makes us even now.

34. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 16 September, 2014, 14:44

I really feel sorry for you youngsters, Desmond. The old folks really screwed you over. And I respect your wisdom and understanding. Many in your generation haven’t a clue of what we have done to you. The mountain of debt that we leave to you. You have every right to be pissed, Desmond. Especially when those who actively participated in creating that debt feel no remorse or obligation to offer an apology. We are a different country today, Desmond. My parent’s generation would have never screwed us over like that. Their mission was to leave us (as a generation) a better life than what they had. They sacrificed to make that happen. And they were successful. Most older people lived better than their parents. Yours will be the first generation that will have a lower standard of living than your parents due to our greed, avarice and mismanagement of the system. And for that, I apologize. We let you down. Some of us do have a conscience, Desmond.

35. Desmond
    Desmond 16 September, 2014, 15:22

Thsnks for your debt, Granny!

36. Desmond
    Desmond 16 September, 2014, 15:23

Thanks for your debts, Granny!

37. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 16 September, 2014, 15:27

Don’t thank me! Thank yourself for your own fiscal mismanagement–insolent child!

38. Desmond
    Desmond 16 September, 2014, 18:16

That comment is priceless. Blame the pension debt on the next generation.
    Is the Vietnam War my fault, too?
    SORRY.

39. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 16 September, 2014, 23:26

If you are going to dish it out, you have to be willing to take it, Desmond. You and your friend here are the ones who started the blame game–not me.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 17 September, 2014, 00:10

But we pointed our fingers in the right direction – at the ones who have accumulated all the debt at the expense of the younger generations. Specifically, my generation and YOUR generation. We are in the process of leeching off the young people. They have to finance the pensions and the medicare and the social security system. An impossible task. And their standard of living will crash as a result.

You tried to blame the younger generations for the sins of my generation and YOUR generation. We simply called you out on it. If you are wrong we are going to let you know.

That’s how debates work. If you don’t have the stomach for it – I suggest that you don’t enter into the discussions. Just sit on the sidelines and watch.

40. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 17 September, 2014, 17:35

I am not blaming anyone for anything–you are the one playing the blame game. Call me out all you want–you are expressing an opinion. I am expressing an opinion too–you are a whiny, jerk!

41. Desmond
    Desmond 17 September, 2014, 19:35

Oh, Yikes, Wth, Gee, Shazam.
    Yo.
    I am responsible for ISIS, Al Queda, the drought, the poverty rate, and oh yes, your pension. Did I forget anything? oops, rats on a rainbow, climate change, Anything else, Mrs. IamNotResponsibleforanything?

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 18 September, 2014, 16:33

This is a strange dialog, Desmond. As people grow older we generally become more concerned about what we are leaving behind for the generations that follow us. IOW’s we become less egocentric and more empathetic for the ones who still have the majority of their lives ahead of them. Selfishness is supposed to dissipate with maturity. Less about “us” and more about “them”. That’s the way God created all species to maximize our survivals. So it seems we have an aberration here.

42. Desmond
    Desmond 19 September, 2014, 04:13

I have not thought about it from that angle…aging. Perhaps all great cultures go through this due to wealth creation. Overall, It does seem we are losing our toughness, and with that, real empathy. It has become politically incorrect to say someone needs to pick themselves up, face up to the challenges they have helped bring upon themselves. Instead, we create a department of whatever to help them identify who is at fault.
    As a culture, we seem less likely to rise up to solve challenges. The reality is unlikely. Would most people give up comfort to preserve the country? No, they would be blaming others for whatever condition is in place, and screw them in the process to keep their precious portion of wealth. Certainly, this is the teaching lesson of the baby boomers, the most hated generation. Unnamed persons: that is you too. Not taking responsibility is another teaching lesson that is part of the legacy.

43. Desmond
    Desmond 20 September, 2014, 04:20

Enjoy your games today. On the other hand, “Ms. Pay my pension won t you”, You Insolent Youth,…not so much.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 20 September, 2014, 10:38

Instead of just acting bitter and angry and insolent, why don’t you get together with others in your age bracket and publicly protest getting screwed by the older generations? When we were your age and younger we stopped a friggin’ war. As long as your generation tolerates it – you totally deserve whatever’s handed to you. Maybe you can convince your generation to show some interest in something other than the latest version of the iPod. Change requires action, buddy. Your generation is numbed out. Do something other than acting so hurt.

44. Desmond
    Desmond 21 September, 2014, 05:57

Change will come. It may not address all the concerns but it will come.Ironic you mention technology, because that will drive it. Think creative destruction of the norms, attitudes, at a furious pace. The change can come from a few people because of the technology. Example: you get a prescription, your health and lifestyle are monitored, you don t do what a doctor says..you will be warned for first offense….you have the liberty do what you want…the computer is programmed to to do what is best for the common good. Your choices are your own, and the progressive discipline changes behavior or fixes.
    Some generations will fight…The rate of change will blow past them. Those who don t adapt, and cynics will be among them, will become extinct. It will be exciting, but sad for others.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 21 September, 2014, 09:35

An answer I would expect from someone in your generation. ‘Let technology handle all our problems. That way we can just go have fun at the beach and forget about actually engaging life, demanding change and paving the way for our futures’.

Had my generation tolerated the war in Vietnam there would be 200,000 fewer of us and we’d still be over there fighting the Viet Cong.

Laziness and apathy are your worst enemies.

Like I said before, you deserve what you tolerate. Now go to the beach and enjoy yourself. I heard Apple is going to release a new iPod before Christmas. Maybe you can be one of the 1st 20 in line at WalMart and get a free one.

45. Desmond
    Desmond 21 September, 2014, 15:58

I have been working(yes in technology) since 6 this morning. Going to the gym, and then off to a car club meeting. Back to office at 7 am tomorrow. It probably does not make any difference, because it sounds like you will be transitioning to the final milestone, but you underestimate me, and my peers. Avoir, your hubris about ending Vietnam is immature. Sounds like Al Gore and the internet.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 21 September, 2014, 20:46

No I haven’t underestimated your generation. You whine but you do nothing to stop it. We cannot call it financial rape because you’ve given full consent. You are willing victims. All social change in society starts with the younger generations. Your generation has been completely out to lunch. Everytime I talk to one of you about how you’re getting screwed it’s like deer in the headlights. Oh well. Carry on. It’s your life.