In San Diego, how low will foes of gay GOP candidate go?

In San Diego, how low will foes of gay GOP candidate go?

cdmThe 2008 election of gay libertarian firebrand Carl DeMaio to the San Diego City Council absolutely drove the city’s Democratic machine insane. When it came to tearing DeMaio down, it was anything goes.

No one of any Dem stature ever said anything when a police officer union member identified Republican DeMaio on his blog with a pink signifier. No Dem insider ever said anything publicly about Bob Filner’s repulsive attempts throughout the 2012 mayoral campaign to remind voters that “hey, Carl’s gay!” Or to repudiate recent DUI arrestee Ben Hueso’s X-rated, unsubstantiated allegations about what DeMaio purportedly did in the bathrooms of City Hall.

Tolerance is not required when it doesn’t suit Democrats or their de facto media allies, even those most likely to moralize about bigotry. Instead, 1940s-style sniggering about sexuality is fine when the target is a Republican. Shades of the way Democrats shrug off Harry Reid’s and others’ racially charged criticism of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’ intelligence, even though legal blogs across the spectrum consider him a better writer and a more interesting legal mind than most of his colleagues.

Now San Diego machine Democrats — and Democrats in East Coast Super PACs flooding San Diego’s airwaves with hit ads — will have to decide whether to use outrageous new allegations against DeMaio. As a sign of how important the national parties consider the 52nd Congressional District race pitting DeMaio and first-term incumbent Scott Peters, Politico covered the scandal as it broke:

A high-profile Southern California congressional race descended into chaos on Wednesday when Republican Carl DeMaio was peppered with questions from reporters about whether he had sexually harassed and then intimidated and attempted to bribe a former campaign staffer.

At a news conference at his campaign headquarters, DeMaio called the allegations “absolutely untrue” and a “complete lie.” He added that authorities had questioned him and his campaign staff about the harassment claims, concluded they were unfounded and closed the case. DeMaio, 40, said the accuser concocted the story after he was identified as a “prime suspect” in a break-in at DeMaio’s campaign office last spring.

“All the evidence that was collected by the police department clearly indicated this individual was the prime suspect, and, it’s unfortunate, but we will continue to allow the district attorney to proceed with her case and weighing the case to prosecute for the break-in of our office,” said DeMaio, a former San Diego city councilman trying to unseat Rep. Scott Peters (D-Calif.) in one of the nation’s most competitive House races.

What I’m hearing as a San Diego journo is that DeMaio is on solid ground in denying everything. That appears to be what Peters believes as well. He didn’t bring up the allegations at a Thursday debate.

But, hey, it’s been reported on. I expect the attack ads by Friday afternoon at the latest.

Democrats can’t wait to insinuate a gay Republican is a reprobate.

1. LetitCollapse
    LetitCollapse 10 October, 2014, 10:53

There is no such thing as moral consistency in politics. There never has been. To get disappointed when you don’t see it is a personal shortcoming.
    These little election season public catfights between dems and pubs don’t fool me at all. Once the elections are over both parties work together to screw the common citizen. The examples are numerous. The only way you get a government of, for and by the people is by eliminating the dem-pub monopoly on government power. In the meantime – they are the masters and you are the slaves. You have no voice. You have no power. You are only as good as the last check you mailed to the IRS in Fresno.

• Bill Gore
      Bill Gore 11 October, 2014, 08:25

Absolutely 100% true. The tax herd is conditioned to enjoy the weather, worry about the Chargers, etc. The one major ray of sunshine is the rise in numbers of unaffiliated voters up and down the west coast. These voters, like me, are not public employee union members or retirees, and they are not dealt into the benefits system which rewards idleness and disability. We see right through the 2-party=1-party system, which has evolved at this point into something like the old PRI of Mexico or the Soviet CCP. We are out here navigating the Pacific by dead reckoning, catching our own food, and we have nothing in common with the fat crews of those distant megatankers….

2. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 October, 2014, 11:34

Do you have any food in the house, LIC?

3. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 October, 2014, 11:37

The personal sexual orientation of DeMaio is no issue of concern for most Californians.

The only problem with DeMaio is his political ideology.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 10 October, 2014, 12:20

Then why are the dems trying to crucify DeMaio for his sexual preferences? If a crippled gay black man with AIDS ran on a GOP ticket the dems would stiill drag him through the mud. Repulsive.

• SeeSaw
        SeeSaw 10 October, 2014, 13:47

I haven’t seen any material in addition to this article so I can’t say. There are political tactics and there are political tactics. The idea that you try to put forth that the dems are trying to cruciy DeMaio for his sexual preference is what is repulsive. Those involved have evidetly decided an alternate method for getting to him regarding his political ideology, which people do care about. Take if from me–nobody cares about his sexual orientation. The author is just in need of a subject to fulfill his assignment.

• LetitCollapse
          LetitCollapse 10 October, 2014, 14:11

“Take if from me–nobody cares about his sexual orientation.”

Good. Then call or write to the dem attack dogs and tell them to lay off DeMaio’s sexual orientation and focus on his political platform and viewpoints. It’s clearly obvious they’ve been punching below the belt. Fair enough?

• SeeSaw
            SeeSaw 10 October, 2014, 15:41

Who are “they”? I don’t see any Democrats identified here as perpetrators of this, “scandal”. Maybe you should contact a few of his Libertarian cohorts and ask them why they are not publicly orating about this! A police-union member and a Democrat are most likely not synonymous!

• LetitCollapse
            LetitCollapse 10 October, 2014, 20:08

Oh stop it, seesaw. Whether they admit to it or not, I bet 90% of cops vote democrat since it’s the dems who are responsible for their fat salaries, pensions and benefits. A police union member is almost certain to be a dem. He knows what side of his bread is buttered and who puts it there. He’s not stupid. 😉

• Chris Reed
          Chris Reed 10 October, 2014, 20:37

if you don’t think some voters care, you evidently don’t read the comments on many news sites or read about what polls show.

I didn’t write this to fulfill an assignment either. Political hypocrisy is still noteworthy.

I await a smug reply.

• SeeSaw
            SeeSaw 11 October, 2014, 11:24

Oh, aren’t we touchy….

I used to read all the news sites that I could, but most of them have set up the pay walls that prevent such. I am relegated to these two anti-public employee sites, that still, thankfully, allow people like me to tell the other side.

I say that most don’t care about the SO of the candidate. Yes, things have changed, thanks to education. Our forefathers did burn people at the stake–it takes a long time to affect social change.

The SO of CD will not bring him down as a politician, but his anti-public employee activism might.

4. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 10 October, 2014, 13:29

Some people are born with a tin cup in their hand and others are born a pinata!

It just happens that way-

5. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 October, 2014, 20:11

I have had plenty of personal contact with PS people, since I knew them as colleagues with the same employer–they are conservative.

6. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 October, 2014, 20:16

People who have a certain political ideology do not change it, when they become employed, LIC. I had many colleagues, non-PS, who were represented by a union, and they were Republicans.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 11 October, 2014, 08:28

Everybody knows that a significant majority of public employees favor the “D” party, seesaw. The public unions push the dem agenda. You know that. So stop trying to insinuate that most of your former gov colleagues were Republicans. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

• SeeSaw
        SeeSaw 11 October, 2014, 11:38

What is really stupid, LIC, is you acting like you know all there is to know about working in the public sector, although you don’t work there. I did not say that most of my former colleagues were Repubs. I said that people don’t change their stripes based on where they work and whether or not they are in unions. And,yes I will repeat, PS people are by nature conservative, and the miscellaneous who are, don’t change whatever they already were when they entered the work force. You will be going out still whining about how the government keeps screwing you–and you will never have gotten a life.

• LetitCollapse
          LetitCollapse 11 October, 2014, 16:51

“I said that people don’t change their stripes based on where they work and whether or not they are in unions.”

That has to be one of the most inane and preposterous statements I’ve ever read in a blog comment.

Give ONE example when a public union endorsed a conservative republican over a liberal democrat in the last 50 years, seesaw. You can’t. And that’s my proof you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

7. Bill Gore
    Bill Gore 11 October, 2014, 07:55

While hypocrisy and double standards are nothing new in politics, we are still shocked when a ‘family values’ republican is caught soliciting gay sex in a public restroom, or when a big city democrat mayor is videotaped smoking crack with a hooker. Political opposition can be shrill but for long term sustainability it has to be consistent with the ‘brand’.

And while DeMaio may have his issues, perhaps a certain air of opportunism on his resume, and the fact that he is no Jerry Sanders, he deserves the same level of respect and tolerance for his personal life that is afforded to, say, Toni Atkins. Any opposing candidate who dared to snigger about the sexuality of Ms.Atkins, or Ms. Kehoe for that matter, or to have operatives indulge in rumormongering about their lovers, or to poke fun at their mannerisms, like the way Ms. Atkins used to burst into tears at city council meetings, would be violently and vehemently denounced.

But I digress. These people are pros and the money is huge, so as long as the lumpenproletariat is content to just sit in the sunshine placidly chewing their cud wth a stupid grin on their face I guess the rule is ‘whatever sticks’..

8. Queeg
    Queeg 11 October, 2014, 08:19

Running retreads from this cause, issue, political battle creates baggage, enemies, doubt, old news.

San Diego is a decaying high priced tourist dump with political opportunists and phantom populists groveling for scraps at all levels.

My goodness…..when do any of these types ever get an honest job!

9. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 11 October, 2014, 19:53

LIC: Unions endorse candidates by committee and sometimes donate to their campaigns. The unions do not vote as a group–the individuals vote–if they choose.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 11 October, 2014, 21:49

Show me one example where individual union members ever supported a conservative republican running for office as opposed to a liberal dem. Where I’m from ordinary public union members often participate in fund raisers and campaign events for liberal democrats. I’ve NEVER seen a group of public employees endorse a conservative Republican. It’s like mixing oil and water. You know that, seesaw. As a matter of fact you commonly bash conservative Republicans on this board. I’ve never seen you bash a liberal dem. Prove me wrong.

10. eck
    eck 11 October, 2014, 21:34

My advice to sane people. Just read the info, and move on. There are no constructive comments on this website. Just rants from ideologues. With rare arguments. Case in point, Teddy, the left-wing public teat sucker, (under many pseudonyms).

• T Mind of Ted Your God
      T Mind of Ted Your God 20 October, 2014, 21:24

Eck— you are correct about the rants— ever notice how I don’t often make em? I just fire a few shots and ask a few fun questions. You won’t believe this but i spent most of my life in the private sector and part time non profit in retirement just to keep my razor sharp mind in tune! Only a few years as a gov worker——I’ll leave the mystery details to you but you would be very surprised about my history if you knew!

I am only left on some issues– pretty right on others.

I honestly ask myself as I get older, what would Jesus Christ do? When I ask that I often end up on the left. Sorry man, thats just how my savior was/is. I am an imperfect Christian but trying.

God Bless you

11. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 12 October, 2014, 09:43

That’s why we have political parties LIC. I don’t go into the voting booth with other voters, but I have spent a lot of time with occupational cohorts–I know more about it than you do, because I was there.

For me, It all boils down to the core values of the candidate. My Congressional Representative was a Republican whom I supported for over 20 years. He was an excellent Congressman–his communications with his constituents was by hand-written letters. Unless any particular candidate shares my personal core values, he/she doesn’t get my vote–its usually the Republican candidate that I pass on.

Eck, it appears that you are an insane person, who has the illusion that you are sane.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 12 October, 2014, 10:22

But you just got through telling me that your former public sector workers were conservatives who didn’t change their voting patterns once they joined the government workforce. lol. Yet you cannot give one example of when a group of public sector workers ever rallied in support of a conservative republican during election season, nor can you give me one example of when a public union endorsed a conservative republican, can you? Why? Because it’s largely the liberal dems who set the table and serve the slop at the public trough. That’s why! To claim that public sector workers aren’t swayed to vote for liberal dems to sweeten their little pot of riches is one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve ever read. 😀

12. SoCalSteve
    SoCalSteve 12 October, 2014, 12:42

Just have to laugh about these howls of righteous indignation about the treatment of Carl DeMaio, coming from many of the same folks who absolutely crucified former Mayor Filner BEFORE any of the facts were in. Yes, Filner was guilty and should have resigned, but ALL people–including Filner and DeMaio–are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Shouldn’t matter whether the guy is liberal or conservative.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 12 October, 2014, 13:34

“Yes, Filner was guilty and should have resigned, but ALL people–including Filner and DeMaio–are presumed innocent until proven guilty.”

No they aren’t. Not in the court of public opinion. I don’t need 12 jurors to tell me if someone is innocent or guilty. I just need to look at the reported facts. You imply that I am obligated to go along with the 12 numbskulls who told us that OJ was innocent of murdering Nicole and Ron Goldman. lol. Sorry, pal. I don’t subscribe to your program.

13. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 12 October, 2014, 17:28

I will repeat, LIC–Voters are individuals–they are not in groups when they vote. Unions endorse candidates–unions don’t cast a group-vote. I don’t have to show you proof of anything. The vote will probably come out against DeMaio–it won’t be about his being Gay–it will be about his right-wing, politics. Ha-Ha–isn’t it awful–other people have the right to opine too, LIC. That’s what we both do–we opine. We can’t make up our own facts.

• LetitCollapse
      LetitCollapse 12 October, 2014, 21:34

Here’s my proof source, seesaw. A Gallup poll that shows local and state UNION REPRESENTED government workers who belong to the democrat party outnumber those who belong to the republican party by a margin of over 20%. However, those public workers who are NON-UNION EMPLOYEES are split almost evenly between being Republicans or Democrats. Basically, the leeches at the public trough know who their daddy is. 😀

“Union members, whether they work for the government or the private sector, are more likely than nonunion workers to be Democrats than Republicans. The gap is greatest among unionized state government workers, who are twice as likely to be Democrats. State workers are also more likely to be Democrats than are federal, local, or nongovernment workers, regardless of union status”

Now where’s your proof source? 😀

14. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 13 October, 2014, 00:24

The moderator blocked my response–oh well–it could not have been as far off- topic as the opinions you contribute.

I am not required to show you anything. But I can report that there are six candidates running for City Council in my municipality and not one endorsed by any union anywhere. I am supporting a Republican.