CalPERS: Police live longest!

CalPERS had previously revealed data showing that police and fire officials have same life expectancy as miscellaneous government workers — data that debunks the old public safety canard that police and fire deserve large pensions because they die shortly after retirement. This week, CalPERS will release a report that breaks down the categories and finds that of all the public employees, police live the longest, followed by firefighters. Yet police and fire still use this dishonest argument. It’s time to retire that one.

–Steven Greenhut

No comments

1. John Seiler
    John Seiler 12 April, 2010, 18:04

It’s time to cut their luxury pensions by 50%. They’re healthy, let them work to 85 like the rest of us.

— John Seiler

2. EastBayLarry
    EastBayLarry 12 April, 2010, 18:48

This is just common sense. A police officer of firefighter HAS to be fit and active. They’re bound to live longer than a desk jocky.

3. oz
    oz 13 April, 2010, 12:06

Interesting. The FBI mentions pretty sound studies here that conclude
    that police officers DO have significantly shorter life spans than the general
    public, but admits that no statistics are conclusive. I think considering that
    police agencies are free to only hire healthy individuals to start with vs other agencies makes the comparison one of apples and oranges anyway. One point that is conclusive is that the disability rate escalates along with
    age, therefore police and fire should be eligible for pensions at
    an earlier age than non-safety workers.

4. Tough Love
    Tough Love 13 April, 2010, 12:43

John, your suggestion to cut their pensions by 50% is not enough ….

Currently California Safety workers get a retirement package (pension + retiree healthcare) 4-6 times more valuable (AFTER deducting their contributions) than a Private sector worker making the SAME pay, retiring at the SAME age, and having worked the SAME number of years.

A cut of AT least 75% would bring them more in line with the Private sector.

5. OCO
    OCO 13 April, 2010, 14:38

The FBI is not Calpers, who adminsiters the 3%@50 pension scams.

That is cold hard data.

Cops and firewhiners are notorious liars when it comes to boosting their pension scams.

6. Charles Sainte Claire
    Charles Sainte Claire 13 April, 2010, 22:09

I retired at 2.25% at 59 after working more than 40 years for Caltrans. That was 90%. So???

7. Ray Gonzales
    Ray Gonzales 11 April, 2011, 20:59

When the economy was good and construction workers, contractors, real estate agents, mediocre jobs and so on were making way more then fire and police we never complained. I can remember people that contacted me on the street tell me that they were making $60,000 plus right out of the military just to start and that there was no way they would do my job.

Police and fire decades ago never complained when they could not get social security and were stuck with a lousy city retirement because cities did not want to pay into social security.

Now that the economy is bad, and now our retirement system is much better then dying social security benefits, now you try and point the finger at us because you did not prepare better and put away money from your huge salaries and now you’re unemployed. You’re still sitting on your butts but now you aren’t getting paid for it. Now the shoes is on the other foot huh! Too bad! I don’t feel sorry for you and you know where you can go!

Maybe next time your home or your new rental catches on fire maybe instead of calling the Fire Department maybe you should put it out. Or next time a burglar breaks into your nice rental and tears it up or tries to rob you at a convenience store then maybe you should try and fight with them yourself. If you have what it takes, but I doubt it.

Oh and by the way you can still call me out to your residence and if I need to risk my life, I’ll still do it, but now I’ll do it thinking how nice my wife and kids will be taken care of by the government if something happens to me.

You can respond back all you want but I doubt I’ll have as much time as the rest of you that are unemployed and sitting at home, for me to get back on this website. Fortunately I’ll be running around in the street risking my butt so you can sit on yours.

Hopefully I didn’t rub it in too much for yah.

Ha, ha, ha.

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*