Great news: fewer kids going to California universities

Great news: fewer kids going to California universities

May 10, 2012

By John Seiler

Youngsters finally are figuring out that going $100,000 in debt to get a degree in poststructural-prepostmodern-quasistructuralist-semiFoucaulist-political-correctness with no chance of a job isn’t exactly the best way to start out in life.

A new study released today by the Public Policy Institute of California found, in the Contra Costa Times summary:

“From 2007 to 2010, the percentage of graduates attending University of California or California State University campuses fell by 20 percent….

“Fewer than 18 percent of California high school graduates ended up at a Cal State or UC campus in 2010, down from 22 percent in 2007. And 55 percent of the most highly prepared students enroll there, down from 67 percent.

“About one in 10 who reject admissions offers from the state universities choose not to go to college at all….”

College still can be a good deal if you’re pursuing a degree in a technical or scientific subject, such as chemistry or engineering. They still have standards. If you reject Newton’s physics as coming from the “sexist patriarchal oppressors,” the bridge you build will collapse, people will die and you might go to prison for negligence.

But the humanities departments are hopeless. With only a few exceptions, they’re suffused with cultural Marxism.

Murderous Marxism lives

It’s kind of funny, in a mortifying sort of way. Political and economic Marxism died with the Soviet Union 21 years ago after murdering more than 100 million people around world, from Lenin’s and Stalin’s Gulag to Mao’s Great Leap Forward to the killing fields of Cambodia.

Yet Marxism lives in American universities as a cultural excrescence.

So, kids, stay away from it. Start your lives right now. Don’t go to college and get into debt.

Are you intersted in Shakespeare? Then read him, attend local performances of the plays and watch videos of the plays, such as those the BBC produced three decades ago (available on Netflix and in libraries).

If you’re interested in a scientific or technical field, you’ll probably still have to go to college. The way to get through the P.C. college humanities courses mostly undamaged by the academic Stalinism is to take advanced placement tests. If you can’t do that, take courses at your local community college, where the tuition is much cheaper and you’re more likely to get a non-Maoist professor.

Read on your own. Read alternative Web sites like this one. Some of my favorites: LewRockwell.com and Antiwar.com. The Mises Institute has hundreds of free books online on libertarianism and free market economics. Use it.

Want to get into business? Then start one. There are copious books an free Web sites on how to do so. Most new businesses fail. Then start again. My suggestion: Don’t go into debt doing so. Business debt can be as bad as college debt.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates dropped out of college. Edison and Ford never went. You don’t need it.

Here’s a good Walter Williams article on how college is a waste for so many.

Another by Marc Slavo on why college is the biggest scam in U.S. history.

And here’s a YouTube of a smart girl saying “farewell to college.” She gives me hope in the rising generation.

1. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 13:00

I just read an article from a newspaper web site.

Only 22% of 8th graders passed a national science test administered to the students. California placed 47th out of 50. The dumber states were Mississippi, Alabama and Washington DC!!! HAH! 😀

Naturally the teachers will blame it on a lack for funds and not enough ESL classes!!! HAH! 😀

This State is so totally screwed up. We have morons running it. 12% of the nation’s population w/ 33% of the nation’s welfare recipients and they can put their finger on what might be wrong!!! HAH! 😀

Although going down on a sinking ship is not a pleasant experience – the entertainment is unsurpassed!

2. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 13:22

Another great article, JS.

Humans are sheep. They think that unless somebody stands up before them in a classroom and teaches from a book that they can’t learn on their own. They think college professors somehow have a monopoly on intellectual prowess.

The kids are just being used as ATM machines by these con artists. Fill up the seats with free guaranteed government loans and fill their heads with gobbledegook that won’t get them a $12/hr job after the attend their sheepskin ceremony. 53% of college grads under 25 are unemployed. 85% of college grads move back in with mom and dad. Documented facts.

The other day I talked to a neighbor who is footing a HUGE bill for his daughter’s college. In fact, he was forced to put his home up as collateral on the loan. He told me she graduated a year ago with a major is something like Adult and Child Rehabilitative Services. I felt like saying “What?” but I just kept my mouth shut and listened. She can’t find a job. Not even a minimum wage job as a register puncher at WalMart or Target to get a start. It’s very sad. The parents who permit their kids to go to college and pursue these worthless degrees ON THEIR DIME are actually more to blame than the kids are. The parents are supposed to have some smarts just based on their life experience. But the take the bait too. Human stupidity has reached epidemic proportions.

3. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 May, 2012, 16:10

I know so many people who pushed their kids into college for bragging rights.

These same people did their kids’ high school homework, wrote their UC entrance essays, woke the kids up before school, fed them breakfast in the car, dropped them off at school, attended all of their soccer/baseball/swimming/football/basketball/volleyball/wrestling practices and games.

They have catered to their children like royalty, but produced lazy, entitled punks, who won’t lift a finger to even bathe. Then the parents are shocked to find themselves upside down in debt, with their kids living back at home in the basement.

These same people were critical of me when I made my kid work part time doing physical labor jobs, and then at a golf course around nouveau riche pretenders.

I’ve always worked, and I saved money for 21 years for his college. And if he didn’t go to college, I would have kept the money.

But he earned a $300,000 scholarship to a military academy, graduated in four years with a double major, and has a job. He’s even saving money. He just turned 23.

If he hadn’t opted to go to the military academy, he would have gone to regular university using the money I saved, and had to work to contribute to offset the cost.

Most of these punks have never worked – not even scooping ice cream or flipping burgers. And their parents allowed it out of some misplaced ego-driven sense of privilege.

Katy

4. Rex The Wonder Dog!
    Rex The Wonder Dog! 10 May, 2012, 16:46

What Military Academy?? Those are extremely competitive to get into, and they also require a big chunk of time after graduation in the service………..

5. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 16:58

There are military academies not run by the government. Like the Citadel. It’s a reknown military academy (public college) that teaches both military and non-military curriculum. It’s my understanding that anyone who is accepted into West Point, Naval Academy or the Air Force Academy goes to school free of charge but must serve 6 years active duty after graduation. I have known grads from Citadel who never served a day in the military – and they must finance their own educations.

6. queeg
    queeg 10 May, 2012, 17:37

Here is some red meat for you conspiracy posters. Did you ever think lots of kids are scorching hot from internet knowledge and the brick and mortar schools hide the truth to protect the education kabal….and your favorites the greedy banks who used to make student loans.

7. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 18:56

“…and your favorites the greedy banks who used to make student loans”

Used to make the loans? That shows how much you know. Name a government bank that processes student loans, einstein.

It’s the private banks that make money off the student loans hand over fist. That’s why the kids pack the college classrooms to learn about your favorite historical figures, Marx and Lenin. It’s all about free money for campus parties and keggers. The honeymoon ends on graduation day when the bill comes due and the only job offer is a Barnacle Scaper First Class in the US Navy. Remember?

8. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 May, 2012, 20:42

Naval Academy, which requires 5 years service for a Bachelors degree. Any advanced degrees tack on 2 years of service for every year of education.

Katy

9. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 May, 2012, 20:46

And it is a dirty deal between the banks and government in the student loan racket. But parents have allowed this and even encouraged it through their own selfishness.

Katy

10. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 10 May, 2012, 21:40

Many years ago I had an opportunity to eat at the chow hall with the cadets at Annapolis. A real eye opener. Those plebes really get screwed with. Treated like subhuman slaves. And it goes on for the full school year. No idea how they can put up with that abuse while trying to survive academically. As a spectator for one afternoon I have to admit it was pretty darned funny – as long as it didn’t happen to me. Guys were doing laps in the cafeteria while balancing their plates of food on the tops of their heads. Some plebe was ordered to tell a joke to a Cadet – it wasn’t funny enough so they poured water down his pants. Plebes were reciting this BS military doctrine to the Cadets and were only given about 5 minutes to eat their food. It was truly amazing to witness and it goes on 7 days a week for the whole school year. The indoctrination is beyond belief. I respect anybody who can make it through that crap. I don’t think I’d be able to do it.

11. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 11 May, 2012, 07:23

Beelzebub – Yes! You are describing the Plebe year… but don’t feel too sorry for them. And it’s not indoctrination as much as learning how to do things the military way after living with mommy and daddy for 18 years.

After the Plebe year, they spend the next three years in leadership training. The natural leaders rise to the top, but everyone has at least been trained so they can be disseminated into the the rest of the population.

What you are describing at meal time is hilarious.

Katy

12. DerWanderer
    DerWanderer 11 May, 2012, 07:58

This is my first post on this site. I have an anecdote to add to Katy’s earlier comment.

I work at a leading consumer goods manufacturer in IT. To help us in IT get a better understanding of the business, they had us attend their Sales 101 training class. The class was taught by a senior sales manager who has been with the company 20-plus years. He was explaining the importance of getting new-hire sales reps to understand the basics of the business. This includes understanding how consumers shop. To teach the new-hires, most of whom are right out of college, they send them out to stores to stock and arrange shelves, set up displays, etc. He says he will get calls from upset parents saying, “I spent 100-grand on my kid’s education and you have him stocking shelves?!” He replies to them, “Tough.”

13. queeg
    queeg 11 May, 2012, 08:00

14. queeg
    queeg 11 May, 2012, 08:08

Also, it would be appreciatated if the lead dog be less critical of us young pups….we are growing fast…bit clumsy…..takes time to become the pack leader!!!

15. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 11 May, 2012, 09:07

“And it’s not indoctrination as much as learning how to do things the military way after living with mommy and daddy for 18 years”

I disagree with ya there, Katy. If that isn’t indocrination by definition I’ll eat my hat. I understand the reasons behind it. And those who signed up for it did it voluntarily. So I have no problem with it. When I went into the military I was indocrinated big time for 8 straight weeks in basic. Thankfully a lot of it wears off as one moves through life.

“The natural leaders rise to the top, but everyone has at least been trained so they can be disseminated into the the rest of the population”

That’s not really my experience either. The leaders put in charge are generally those who suck up the most to their leaders and who have figured out how to play the game. I’ve knew some real ‘natural leaders’ in my military experience who never rose above the rank of E-4 because they refused to suck up. But then, that’s life, isn’t it???

16. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 11 May, 2012, 09:11

“Explanation please…..was under the impression the government recently took over the student loan program in America…..banks get less influence and revenue…come on…please help a bashed and beaten down poster just trying to run with the big dogs!!”

God almighty……

The money is government guaranteed but it’s the banks that administer and manage the loan program financially and profit from it. Who the hell do you think manages the student loan program??? The Federal Reserve??? heh.

17. queeg
    queeg 11 May, 2012, 10:04

Thank you pack leader….may we kneel in your shadow????

18. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 11 May, 2012, 10:25

Beelz- yes, every organization has it’s suck-ups and brown-nosers. The military academies have their resume builders and bureaucrats-in-training.

But when it comes to military strategy and getting the job done, the bureaucrats mostly look for somewhere safe to reside.

I’ve studied military structure and organization for decades. I’ve interviewed dozens of soldiers, and military elite. And I’ve been around the bureaucrats, as well as the soldiers. The difference is so clear.

Rank has nothing to do with leadership – any real soldier will tell you that. Going to a military academy is just another path, and one in which someone can make the most of, or be a jerk about and rub people’s faces in it.

Katy
    Katy

19. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 11 May, 2012, 11:22

“Thank you pack leader….may we kneel in your shadow????”

You’re welcomed. No need to kneel. You can resume standing and proceed with your normal activities – which I don’t want to know about. 🙂

20. Beelzebub
    Beelzebub 11 May, 2012, 11:29

“And I’ve been around the bureaucrats, as well as the soldiers. The difference is so clear”

Oh, I’m not arguing that point, Katy. I agree with you. Soldiers are much more pragmatic and striving for an end result that makes sense. The civilian bureaucrats are pretty much the opposite. They go by the rule of “it really doesn’t matter what you do as long as you look good while you’re doing it”.

“Rank has nothing to do with leadership – any real soldier will tell you that”

No, I disagree. The military is very structured and lower ranking folks can’t take a wizz without getting permission first (exaggeration, but you get my point). I was a real soldier once and know how the system works. Step out of line and you get squashed. I’m not complaining. I understand that it needs to be that way.