Think taxes are too low?

Dec. 7, 2012

By John Seiler

Think taxes are too low? Your politicians do. Expect California’s supermajority Democratic Legislature this year to reduce what they call “tax expenditures” — their euphemism for letting taxpayers/slaves keep a little of their money. And that’s after we just got socked with the Proposition 30 and Proposition 39 tax increases, and dozens of local tax increases. Plus impending Obamacare and Fiscal Cliff tax increases.

The Economic Collapse Blog provides a staggering list of just some of the taxes you pay. Check out the site for similar info and the rest of his article.

The blog’s words follow:

——————————————

Just counting federal, state and local income taxes, some Americans will be paying marginal tax rates of over 50 percent in 2013.  But like I said, there are a lot of other taxes we pay than just those.

The following are 44 more taxes that at least some average Americans are paying now or will be paying soon other than federal, state and local income taxes…

#1 Building Permit Taxes

#2 Capital Gains Taxes

#3 Cigarette Taxes

#4 Court Fines (indirect taxes)

#5 Dog License Taxes

#6 Drivers License Fees (another form of taxation)

#7 Federal Unemployment Taxes

#8 Fishing License Taxes

#9 Food License Taxes

#10 Gasoline Taxes

#11 Gift Taxes

#12 Hunting License Taxes

#13 Inheritance Taxes

#14 Inventory Taxes

#15 IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)

#16 IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

#17 Liquor Taxes

#18 Luxury Taxes

#19 Marriage License Taxes

#20 Medicare Taxes

#21 Medicare Tax Surcharge On High Earning Americans Under Obamacare

#22 Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax (if you don’t buy “qualifying” health insurance under Obamacare you will have to pay an additional tax)

#23 Obamacare Surtax On Investment Income (a new 3.8% surtax on investment income that goes into effect next year)

#24 Property Taxes

#25 Recreational Vehicle Taxes

#26 Toll Booth Taxes

#27 Sales Taxes

#28 Self-Employment Taxes

#29 School Taxes

#30 Septic Permit Taxes

#31 Service Charge Taxes

#32 Social Security Taxes

#33 State Unemployment Taxes (SUTA)

#34 Tanning Tax (a new Obamacare tax on tanning services)

#35 Telephone Federal Excise Taxes

#36 Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Taxes

#37 Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Taxes

#38 Telephone State And Local Taxes

#39 Tire Taxes

#40 Tolls (another form of taxation)

#41 Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)

#42 Utility Taxes

#43 Vehicle Registration Taxes

#44 Workers Compensation Taxes

Sadly, this list is far from complete.  There are many more forms of taxation that could be included.

When you account for all forms of taxation, there are some Americans that “play by the rules” that are sending more than half of their incomes to the government.

1. surfpunk
    surfpunk 7 December, 2012, 08:57

John, The port stike in LA cost the states Gen. fund something.No one in SAC. wants to point out exactly how much,maybe you have the resoures to figure how much that 8 day strike is going to cost the avg. tax payer.Maybe you can even come up with a catchy name for the new tax to cover the cost of the strike.

2. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 7 December, 2012, 09:20

I think that taxes are too low.

They are too low for Ed Asner, Jerry Brown, David Letterman, John Stewart, Roseanne Barr, Bob Costas, everyone on MSNBC, billionaires for Obama, that crippled guy who sues small businesses when the restroom mirror is 2″ too high, anyone who has appeared on a TV reality show, drivers who come to a complete stop when turning right on a green light, people who think Bigfoot exists, fat women who wear spandex in public and idiots who play their car stereo at 200 decibels with the windows rolled down.

3. Tax Target
    Tax Target 7 December, 2012, 10:29

Oh for sure way way too low – I say raise to at least 65% of the wage earners income in Kalifornsky… me I’m leaving so enjoy Kalifornsky.

4. nadia macri
    nadia macri 7 December, 2012, 11:04

This is the new age slavery, tax them to death and if they complain tax them more. I was enrolled in a Union without being asked or being aknoledged thay I am going to pay dues wether I want or not to be part of it. What do I get for that ? Nothing absolutely nothing, I am sick and I don’t have any sick leave or dissability so I don’t get paid and I have to cover for a care taker or any expence that I need. No Medical coverage and no unemployment insurance, how do you like them apples?

5. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 7 December, 2012, 14:59

We neeed more “temporary” taxes 🙂

(dont kill me, I was kididng!!)

6. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 8 December, 2012, 09:09

When one looks around at the landscape and the infrastucture, it’s hard to imagine how there could ever be enough money to maintain it all.

A new $30,000 car will set you back an extra $75–oh my!

Yes, taxes are necessary, unless you want to live in tents like Haitians.

That must be some union you are in nadia–no benefits of any kind?

7. Ian Random
    Ian Random 8 December, 2012, 14:13

My property ain’t worth a whole lot without some form of law and law enforcement to keep it mine. But having to buy a permit to replace the heat exchanger in my heat pump just so public employees can have golden pensions like the golden parachutes of executives doesn’t add much value.

8. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 8 December, 2012, 14:50

Its probably a safety issue for one thing. After Prop. 13 passed, fees exploded, because the entities have to be able to sustain themselves–there’s no such thing as a free lunch.