Maviglio bashes Reps on diversity — but what about Dems?

Dec. 10, 2012

By John Seiler

I seem to be the last person in California that votes only on the issues, not by groups, or “diversity.” It wouldn’t matter at all to me if every top state office and every seat in the Legislature included only Latinos, Asians, women, etc. Just so they voted for much smaller and better-run government.

One who’s playing the diversity game big time is Democratic activist Steve Maviglio, who like me is a white guy. He attacks the reeling GOP for supposedly lacking diversity and for not having exactly the same ultra-left views as the Democratic majority.

Let’s start with the issues, or the few he mentioned:

“Whether it’s the DREAM Act, environmental justice, or education funding, Assembly Republicans (with the exception of GOP Caucus outcast Brian Nestande) have voted in lockstep against legislation these [diverse Democratic] voters care about.”

Let’s see. The California DREAM Act gives Californians’ tax money to students who aren’t even U.S. citizens, something that doesn’t happen to students from Arizona, New York, New Hampshire or other states. “environmental justice” means AB 32, which is killing 1 million jobs, especially for the “diversity” folks he claims to be advancing.

And “education funding” means opposing the Prop. 30 tax increases that actually are going not to the classroom, but to CalSTRS to fund retirees’ pensions. In any case, California schools are so poorly managed, and produce such dismal results, especially for Latinos and blacks, that only a complete overhaul could help. But the teachers’ unions will prevent that.

So let’s move on to “diversity.” Maviglio tallies the racial sins of the Republicans:

“The Democratic majority in the Assembly is the now the most diverse in the nation. It features 16 Latinos, seven members of the American Pacific Islander community, seven African-Americans, 14 women, and 4 LGBT members.

“In comparison, the GOP Caucus has just seven women and, as mentioned earlier, two Latinos. There are no African-American members, no Asian-American members, and a the median age that AARP would love.”

But Democratic backbenchers in the Assembly have no power.

Undiverse Dems

Let’s put up a list of the most powerful politicians in California, all Democrats: Gov. Jerry Brown, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Sen. Barbara Boxer, House Democratic Leader (and former Speaker) Nancy Pelosi and pottymouth Democratic Party Chairman John Burton. All are white septuagenarians. On Dec. 15, Burton will be an octogenarian.

All of these Anglo bigshots are from the Bay Area. None is from Southern California or Bakersfield or Humboldt or Salinas.

Why didn’t Democrats, for example, run a Latino instead of Feinstein in this year’s Senate race? The Latino candidate, like Feinstein, easily would have beaten the Republican nominee, Elizabeth Emken. Or how about Kamala Harris for U.S. Senate? Right now, she would be preparing to take her oath of office.

But, no. Instead of bringing some new ideas and energy — and diversity — to the seat, they stuck with a persona and the ideas of the 1970s.

It looks like Brown will be running for re-election again in 2014. Aren’t three terms as governor enough? Plus two terms as attorney general and one as secretary of state? And being mayor of Oakland? Can’t he step aside for a diverse candidate, such as Asian-American Controller John Chiang? Or how about Harris, the attorney general whose background is Indian-American and African-American?

Strangely, Maviglio even attacks Assembly Republicans as being too old. Yet on average his party’s sclerotic leadership is two decades older than them!

He attacks Assembly Republicans for not being diverse enough. But the Democratic party bigshots aren’t diverse at all.

Before Democrats keep attacking Republicans for lacking diversity, they first should diversify themselves.

1. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 10 December, 2012, 16:02

All so true. And this the cornerstone:

“…..they stuck with a persona and the ideas of the 1970s.”

Ahh yes…..”Progressive”…..”Lean Forward”, and all that…..LOL

Perhaps only if you limit the definition to a narrow band of issues such as gay marriage and Open Bong Usage.

As to the rest of the Dem platform: Hoary, discredited relics from the 60s and 70s…….to be discredited once again in the coming years.

Look for their next appearance around 2040.

2. Steven Maviglio
    Steven Maviglio 10 December, 2012, 16:45

I’m flattered. Sorta. But here’s the difference between the GOP and Dems on this issue: we have officeholders who’ve held their posts for awhile, including your poster girl Nancy Pelosi (the first female Speaker of the U.S. House). Republicans haven’t. And as I pointed out in my post, the Democratic bench is rich with talent from the demographic groups that are increasingly growing in our state.

And I hate to let facts get in the way of your column, but AB 32 is creating jobs (California is the nation’s fastest growing market for renewables and innovative technology, as well as the number one state for attracting billions in venture capital) and dollars from both Prop 30 and 39 will go to classrooms and their instructors.

But hey, I hope the Republicans take your advice. Don’t change. And not only won’t you change minds, you won’t change voters. Which is good news for California Democrats.

3. stevefromsacto
    stevefromsacto 10 December, 2012, 17:14

John thinks diversity means supporting the Minutemen and the Tea Party at the same time.

I’d rather have Dr. Raul Ruiz, Dr. Richard Pan, Mark Takano and Jose Medina than Ted Gaines, Mary Bono Mack and Tom McClintock. Indeed, I’d rather have Nancy Pelosi than John & Ken or Tim Donnelly. On the issue of diversity, the Republican bench is non-existant, as is their starting lineup.

4. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 10 December, 2012, 17:49

LOL…..Stevie, your nose just grew 40 feet with that whopper, it is so commical you need to go into stand up 😉

5. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 December, 2012, 18:50

StevefromSacto: As I said, I’m driven by ideas and policies, and their realistic enactment, not “diversity,” etc. It wouldn’t bother me if we had all Latinas in the state-level posts, and all in the Legislature — provided they voted for lesser government. Flipping the coin, if everyone was a white middle-age male like me, but voted for high taxes and more regulations, then I would not be happy.

I’m hopeful that the increasing Latino presence will be influenced by the leaders of Mexico, who have been free-market oriented for 18 years. New President Enrique Pena Nieto, of the old PRI party, sort of the equivalent of California Democrats, promised to continue the reforms. He gave a great interview to Time magazine, and said, “We’ve built more favorable macroeconomic conditions in Mexico, but we have to promote more competition and raise our levels of [bank] credit, build up our development banks.”

He also talked about bringing outside investment to Mexico’s morbund, government-run energy industry, which it needs to compete with new energy production in the U.S. and Canada.

And he hinted at ending the stupid “war” on drugs foisted on his predecessor by President George W. Bush, and which has cost thousands of Mexican lives.

Of course, politicians always make promises and keep few of them. But the new president seems eager to advance Mexico’s free-market progress.
    — John Seiler

6. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 10 December, 2012, 19:01

Steve Maviglio: Just on AB 32, there’s no doubt you’re right that it is creating jobs in California in the renewables and other industries. But it’s killing far more jobs than it’s creating. That’s one reason our state unemployment rate remains a lot higher than the national rate.

Democratic Sen. Roderick Wright agreed with me: http://capoliticalnews.com/2012/08/17/ca-democrat-senator-cap-and-trade-kills-jobs/

Along with the tax increases, AB 32 will keep driving away businesses and jobs. Tax revenues will not increase, but drop. Unemployment will soar. June 2013 will see an even bigger budget crisis than 2012 and 2011. To make up for the lost revenue, the supermajority Legislature will enact even more taxes and fees, which will make matters worse. ‘

Over the next couple of years, the state’s credit rating will crater and the state effectively will go bankrupt. Most pensions, even of those already retired, will not be paid, or will be sharply reduced, because there won’t be any money.

As to Republicans, they’re irrelevant.

So the Democratic Party will split, as it did in the old pre-1968 Solid South. There will be two main lines. There will be John Chiang-Bill Lockyer type budget numbers hawks vs. Jerry Brown-style spendthrifts. And there will be Latino education reformers — who hate how the schools are failing their kids — vs. the ossified teachers’ unions.

— John Seiler

7. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 December, 2012, 19:03

John Chiang does not want to be Governor–he wants to be State Treasurer–and he will have my support!

8. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 December, 2012, 19:07

John and Ken are not even qualified to attend Kindegarten, let alone hold any public office!

9. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 December, 2012, 19:11

Since when does small government make for good government? I would like to know how you service 300 million citizens, at the federal level, and 39 million citizens in CA with small government.

10. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 10 December, 2012, 19:54

I don’t know, SeeSaw…you tell us how it’s going……and BTW…when are you going to get around to me? lol lol……

11. Nobaloney
    Nobaloney 10 December, 2012, 20:03

Calwatchdog is looking to Mexico’s leaders for “free-market” guidance in California? You mean those leaders who preside over a Narcogovernment? You mean “leaders” like Vicente Fox who is calling on the U.S. to legalize drugs to reduce violence and organized crime. Is that an example of “free market” guidance you’d like to import to California? God help us…

12. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 December, 2012, 20:34

Well jimmy, I am in favor of allowing gays to marry–so I suppose that makes me a Progressive. I have never seen marijuana or a bong, except in pictures, so I don’t have any opinion about open-bong usage–as long as I am not in the proximity. I don’t think things are going too good out there–too many people out of work–therefore leading me to believe that the government needs to help–which means it needs to be big.

13. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 10 December, 2012, 21:07

You missed the joke, SeeSaw. Entirely.

14. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 11 December, 2012, 00:14

seesaw missed the joke because she has had way too many bong hits 😉

15. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 11 December, 2012, 00:55

Well, rework the joke so I will get it, then. I was never a participant in the hippy generation–I did live and breathe during the 60’s and 70’s–I have no control over that aspect of my life.

16. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog Author 11 December, 2012, 07:20

Nobaloney: Yes, Mexico should legalize drugs; the “war” on drugs of the past six years, foisted on them by Bush, is the cause of the narcoviolence. The United States also should legalize drugs. Or at least the federal government should leave the matter to the “free and independent states,” as the Declaration of Independence defines them, instead of conducting a lawless “war” that has centralized police powers in D.C. and corrupted and brutalized local police departments, while shredding the Bill of Rights.

— John Seiler

17. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 11 December, 2012, 08:47

I have no problem letting the states do as they wish- ala WA. But a wholesale legalization nationwide is not what I would want to see. I have always thought the feds should not be busting pot sellers, there are far better ways to spend federal $$ than going after pot smokers.

18. StevefromSacto
    StevefromSacto 11 December, 2012, 13:53

The pigs are up in the air again and the temperature in Hell is dropping. I agree with Seiler on legalization.

19. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 11 December, 2012, 18:47

Pigs are still earthbound and Hell is still hot, Steve-o.

In your MSM-fed ignorance you assume that one cannot simultaneously hold some more traditional Republican positions as well as some Libertarian positions.

Many of us do.

Think for yourself. Don’t simply delegate it to the oafish Ed Schultz or that handsome young person Maddow.

It’s not hard, once you get the hang of it.