Gov. Antoinette-Brown: Let the unemployed eat cake

Gov. Antoinette-Brown: Let the unemployed eat cake

Feb. 19, 2013

By Chris Reed

kish-rajan0Over the weekend, the U-T San Diego had a story about the Texas vs. California business-climate debate. It featured an astounding claim from Gov. Jerry Brown’s top economics adviser:

“California provides a higher level of service than other states, said Kish Rajan, director of California Gov. Jerry Brown’s Office of Business and Economic Development, Go-Biz.

“Rajan defended the state’s tax rates, saying they fund key services and are a known quantity to businesses who can budget for them. But, he said, there is work to be done on overlapping and confusing regulations.

“’I think that a lot of things that these states are selling are lower costs, lower costs, lower costs, and our mantra in California is we’re not in a race to the bottom with any other state,’ he said. ‘We have found a way in our state to have very high quality, very high value. We’ve proven that you can have a successful economy and still preserve the environment and look after workers and protect consumers and look after the public health.’”

No, you aren’t hallucinating. I didn’t make up the part that I boldfaced.  Jerry Brown’s economics guru really did describe California as having a “successful economy.” I laughed up a storm at that. But if I were without a job in our rotten economy, or had a spouse, parent or kid who had been hunting for work without success for years, I would be infuriated.

Brown administration blithely indifferent to economic suffering

Here’s part of my U-T San Diego editorial reacting to this blithe ignorance and indifference from the Brown administration:

“So the Golden State has a ‘successful economy’? Really?

“California is in its longest sustained stretch of high unemployment since the depression. Its jobless rate has been higher than 8 percent since September 2008. For 52 months, there have been at least 1.5 million people in this state actively seeking work who can’t find jobs. And those numbers don’t even reflect the ‘underemployed’ – those with part-time jobs – and the hundreds of thousands of people who have given up looking for work. In January, the state’s unemployment rate was 9.8 percent, among the worst of any state and significantly higher than the national average of 7.9 percent.

“Rajan’s comments make clear the immense disconnect between the powerful wing of California’s Democratic coalition – urban professionals, academics, public employees and those in the entertainment industry – and the coalition’s ignored wing – poor and lower-middle-income residents who struggle to find work and make a living in our expensive state.

“California has a ‘successful economy’ for those who have jobs. Those who can’t find full-time work? Jerry Brown says, ‘Let them eat cake.’”

Joel Kotkin, the brilliant Los Angeles demographer and a Democrat himself, has written about his party’s indifference to the poor and minorities and its hostility to capitalism for years. Here’s how to judge whether California most influential Democrats will like a policy proposal: Does it make a thrill go up the legs of the denizens of the faculty lounge? If not, who cares?

1. loufca
    loufca 19 February, 2013, 07:52

I still can’t understand why Southern Californians put up with no representation at the highest levels of state and federal government. The Gov, Lt. Gov. (the guy who had an affair with his campaign managers wife) and both Senators at white, gentry, pacific heights liberals. They certainly don’t represent us at all. This story is just another example of the disconnect and ignorance of professional politicians.

2. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 19 February, 2013, 08:55

The befuddled masses in this idiots republic gladly vote for the same Blue Team empty suits time and time again. They are so gullible that they even vote to increase taxes on themselves, as if that will solve our problems. You can’t explain the dominance of the Bay Area Arts and Chardonnay elites just by noting the incredible incompetence of the Retardpublican Party. There is something else going on here.

Lemming swarms have more independence and critical thinking skills than the average Crazyfornia voter. Face it, we have a permanent majority of low information, self destructive sucker voters. When I talk to my friends and neighbors about the situation here they complain about the usual stuff. Then I ask them if they ever think about moving and they usually say something like “but the weather here is so nice”. I guess for most people 70 degree days in January are more important than getting a job, being able to retire or having a government that is honest, efficient and responsible. Who cares if I’m being robbed blind, I’m wearing shorts and sandals in the middle of winter!

3. Bill Gore
    Bill Gore 19 February, 2013, 09:34

Before I left California and moved my business and family to beautiful, friendly central Oregon, I used to chat with my neighbors, friends and customers about the political and economic climate in California. I came to form the impression that San Diego has become a matriarchal society! This is because pretty much everyone has had more than enough and is ready to leave, but can’t because their Mother In-Law refuses to move! Who knew? Mother In-Laws wield enormous power and simply don’t care about taxes, regulation or anything else-they just like the sunshine. My mother In-Law, sadly, is no longer with us, and this greatly facilitated our decision to move.

4. stolson
    stolson 19 February, 2013, 09:36

There is movement out of state by the middle class. The lower class, low information types like it here as the welfare dollars are good, and they can collect 2x via alien names and fraud techniques. There is little scrutiny in these programs for them. The weather is a big draw in southern CA. Recently 2 people I knew actually left the state. One to Green Valley, AZ (retiree) and another to Australia (has money). A third person is debating whether to try Costa Rica (going to retire).
    Getting a job is hard if you don’t have contacts. There are only so many public sector union jobs available. I don’t know if there will be enough private sector jobs to have employees foot the enormous pension obligations and increasing entitlement program dollars.

5. Chris
    Chris 19 February, 2013, 10:59

Trust me, you’d rather be in California than here in Texas if you solely base things on how government works. Here in Texas, we also have the problem of having one party rule. However, our landscape, our demographics, and our communities are being destroyed by the likes of the Republican party here. I’m gay and I have virtually no rights outside Houston. Undocumented immigrants are treated like they are in Arizona down here as well and racism is still rampant across the land. The reason people move to California, I think, would be because of the freedom, California is the largest economy in the U.S. while here in Texas, we have nothing but low-skilled jobs for everyone. Sorry, but think everything is better across the fence? You’re wrong. At least you have rights there, I’ll be a second class citizen for a long time staying here. But I’m willing to take that risk since though I was born there in California, I love Texas (despite the 50 degree winter days) because I was raised here and I’ve grown to be as stubborn as the rest of them, so I’ll do my best to make sure that things are finally right down here, but keep your businesses.

6. us citizen
    us citizen 19 February, 2013, 12:43

The state is in the pits because it gives everyone who whines a check every week. There are so many freakin illegals here, I have given up counting all of them. There are schools that dont speak English. There are sections of towns where you wont find English signs. The gimme crowd is reaching super majority here. I AM sick of it.

Ya wonder why we have shortages……….well because we have been INVADED by third world counties who just want to bring their disgusting ways with them. They dont want to change! They want US to change. All they do is TAKE. Well F them.

My friends “who are informed” are going bald because we cant fight all the leaches in this state anymore. If the unions dont get ya, the illegals will.

Enough is enough!

7. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 19 February, 2013, 15:35

Chris in Texas: You sound schizophrenic. “I hate Texas, yet I love Texas”….Or it is “I love to hate Texas”?……Oy. My head hurts.

And how it it you have no “rights”? Are rural Texans’ gay-dar so well honed they can detect even the slightest inkling of homosexuality? Somehow I doubt it.

8. YrgalTidge
    YrgalTidge 19 February, 2013, 19:16

Me? I went Galt on 1-1-2013 and have made more money (non taxable CASH) this year than I did in all of 2012 doing little contract, taxable jobs. my UI ran out in 2011, so I don’t exist to the GOV as far as unemployment rolls go, so Why bother playing the Game? And BTW 70 in Jan? I worked 11 hours in the rain on a rooftop today in 46 degree weather (AC guy) in So Cal, so much for Global Warming,
    Yrgal

9. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 19 February, 2013, 21:40

Why are all you crybabies still in CA if you hate it and your neighbors so? Life is ebbing, or do you think you are immortal. Choose the place you want to be and go there!