California burns as politicians fiddle

Sept. 18, 2012

By Katy Grimes

The most recent culmination of the insane end of the California Leguslature’s two-year  session will probably live in infamy when tales of California’s demise are told in the future.

Still reeling from the madness, I needed to seek out a perspective larger than those mired in the state’s political processes; I needed a perspective familiar with the fanaticism of California, but one which also understands how and why we find ourselves on the precipice of disaster.

Rep. Tom Mclintock, R-El Dorado Hills, provided just what was needed.

McClintock has a just perspective on California. He was a state legislator for more than 20 years and now represents California’s 4th Congressional District, located just outside the state’s Capitol of Sacramento.

Perhaps even more importantly, McClintock has unflappably faced off Democratic lawmakers  and liberal fanatacism for decades.

History repeats itself

McClintock backed up a few centuries to begin the perspective, and reminded me that history repeats itself.

“Those who cannott remember the past are concemned to repeat it,” the famous quote by Spanish-
American-philosopher George Santayana, has never held more meaning.

“Governments crumble under the weight of bureaucracies,” McClintock explained. The parallels with America’s  economic implosion have with Rome’s are undeniable.

McClintock said that tthe parallels between America and Rome are astounding, including that two-thirds of all Romans lived off of their equivalent of food stamps — the “bread” part of “bread and circuses.” The Roman bureaucracy grew to staggering size, while defense spending continued to grow as well. Roman emperors kept raising taxes to pay for government expansion and gross spending.

The Roman middle class at one time  enjoyed conditions much the same as Americans: They were merchants and business owners, and participated in and influenced politics. But as the Roman government expanded to unsustainable proportions, it was the middle class which paid the heaviest price, just as it iss in America, and particularly so in California.

Immigration also was uncontrolled in Rome.

As Peter Heather writes in “The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and Barbarians,” “The Roman government allowed uncontrolled hostile immigration to dissolve the fabric of their civilization. Illegal and legal immigrants grew more powerful, while exercising their own character of their cultures. They did not adopt Roman ways. Second, vast blocks of once Roman lands became foreign held and even the Roman population, once outnumbered, was no match for hostile immigrants.’

Voters

“What we are seeing is a voter and citizen uprising,” McClintock said. “This has been going on for at least three years.” Recent Townhall attendance has been record breaking. McClintock said that Townhall meetings which used to have 12 or 15 of the usual political diehards show up, now fill entire high school gyms.

The people know that the politices being put into place are not sustainable, says McClintock.  “I’ve  never seen people so engaged.”

History is indeed repeating itself, but we are helping it along. Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting a different result. We have the warnings. We know the history.

Why would anyone in California think that we are not living a self-imposed deterioration?

Fortunately, a citizen and voter uprising is just what the history doctor ordered.

Part II of the McClintock interview, next week: California Water Wars

1. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 11:48

No uprisings at the beach….unless….running out of tapas at the TASTES OF NEWPORT caused a stir among the 1%’ers….

2. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 18 September, 2012, 12:21

Where do you hide your little steel balls, Queeg?

3. Katy Grimes
    Katy Grimes 18 September, 2012, 12:40

I expect an uprising when your favorite tapas restaurant closes

Katy

4. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 18 September, 2012, 12:42

the steel balls are Capt.Queeg. This fellow is simply…..yes……wait for it……..Queeg!

5. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 13:02

Queeg has your back Teddy!

6. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 18 September, 2012, 13:24

I hope for a revolt at the polls in Cal, but don t see it happening. I see the nation having a lively debate about Cal in the next 15 years. Can the USA prosper when a large state is declining rapidly, and begins to suck resources out of the rest of the country? It is not true yet, but it will happen. We are not loved in much of the USA(jealous of weather?). The state will continue to grow in population with more takers than providers leading the way. When they have their hands out to states like Indiana, they may get a Universal Language reply of a middle fingered salute.

7. Tax Target
    Tax Target 18 September, 2012, 13:31

Flush Kalifornsky now… let it go bankrupt!

8. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 13:34

Katy..

The pintxos in San Sebastian in the city center bars of Basque Country would make the Newport 1%’ers go into a feeding frenzy.

9. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 13:40

Sean when your porked up on Popeye’s chicken strips and Burger King two for one Whoppers….you kids don’t bother you about homework,and you need to pack the ’66 Ford pickup for a tax free swap meet sales day…your happy….

On CWD posters are miserable!

10. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 13:46

TaxTarget….been hearing this doom and gloom for years…..the solution is simple….we are all in this together collectively, but the 1%’ers keep on taking the cream off the top…..they need to feel our pain and contribute for the greater societal good.

11. Donkey
    Donkey 18 September, 2012, 14:33

The “greater societal good,” would take place by cutting the pay, benefits, perks, and pensions of all the RAGWUS feeders 40%, with no RAGWUS feeder recieving pay over $90,000, and no pension of over $50,000.

12. Donkey
    Donkey 18 September, 2012, 14:34

Cap pay and pensions now, to save our childrens future. 🙂

13. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 14:52

Donkey do you have a future?

14. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 18 September, 2012, 15:00

I have invented a new CA gov program, it is replacing Cap n Trade…it call it Cap n Pensions!!!!!
    🙂

15. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 18 September, 2012, 18:02

Queegy, you need to lighten up on the stimulants. So many incoherent posts and punctuation/spelling errors in one day! Is the teachers union paying you by the word or something?

Regarding the parallels between Kalifornia and Rome I think the correct conclusion to reach is that the barbarians have already sacked the city. The Visigoths and Vandals have carried off the loot. King Alaric would be proud of the pillaging and raping. There is nothing to be done except beat a tactical retreat across the state border. I’m going to miss my beloved bunker in The O.C. but all good things must come to and end.

16. Queeg
    Queeg 18 September, 2012, 18:18

Dys do you have a future??????

17. Hondo
    Hondo 18 September, 2012, 19:28

I remember my greatest summer, 78. Fighting forest fires all week and on my days off driving down to the beach to body surf at San Onofre and Laguna beach. All the chicks were easy and the wine tasted so much better then, than it does now. Maybe we are all looking back too much.
    But the 11.3 unemployment rate is real. The rest of the nation is getting better while Kali lurches toward obvious bankruptcy. Moonbeams wall of debt is real and comes due in a couple years at most.
    The tsunami is building off shore and I might as well paddle out to meet it and try to ride it in.
    Kawabunga dude.
    Hondo…….

18. Skeptic
    Skeptic 18 September, 2012, 19:54

Sean, why would the other states give us the middle finger? We have been supporting some of them through Federal taxes for years. Look up the states that get back more in Federal funds than they paid into the system. Most are the states that want less government and taxes, while they have their hand out.

19. Ted Steele, Associate Prof.
    Ted Steele, Associate Prof. 19 September, 2012, 06:49

Hondo– you’re a kook and you’ll probably shoulder hop lots of hard working middle class folks on the way in. Go inland where you’re waaaay more comfortable. Maybe a metal detector and some Nixon wingtips? ™

20. us citizen
    us citizen 19 September, 2012, 09:43

Wow Skeptic………….go to some other boards. CA is the LAUGHING stock of the nation. We are the butt of all jokes. They laugh for days at a time whenever CA makes one of its insane moves. I think the only thing that has topped CA in the recent past is NYer’s not allowing big drinks. But just watch……we will be next.

Sean, I’m hoping for a revolt also. For once I would love to see a complete flip flop in the govt here. What a shocker that would be! Well we can dream. The idiots in this state will keep voting in the bigger idiots. I just hope that when they decide to nuke CA, Sacramento will be the first to blow up.

21. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 19 September, 2012, 09:49

Skeptic, Kalifornia is perceived as a crazed place in much of the country. Most people(especially those who are growing up now, and feel the country has a less prosperous future than parents did) won t have knowledge, nor will they care of the People’s Republic rich past, only its dark and and threatening future.
    Think 30 million entitled residents…that will be only a portion of the state, who expect Snap, housing vouchers, free lunch for kids, cheap Air conditioning, premium cable TV, driving without insurance.

22. Queeg
    Queeg 19 September, 2012, 12:56

SEAN and CITIZEN:

What are your personal futures?

This populist do gooder Mr. Smith to Washington pap is old, stale, not original and boring.

The sky is not falling-

If your miserable leave…we’re sick of doomers!

23. Joe Inland
    Joe Inland 19 September, 2012, 14:11

Queeg, I am seeing words, but too incoherent to follow.
    Prof. “Steele” – tough name for an elitist, gin sipping, pseudo professor. Nice job advancing your stereotype by addressing a man’s substantive remarks by name calling and telling a guy to move out of you neighborhood. Are you libs redlining now?
    Here is one for you smart guy. Tell us how a state that is like $20 billion short of being able to pay this year’s bills is going to pay the debt on $33 billion, wait $56 billion, no $98 billion (do I hear $100 billion?) of “rail” bonds on a train to nowhere, err, your beloved SF? I’ll wait.

24. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 19 September, 2012, 15:35

Not miserable, pragmatic. One has to pan for their future and their family.
    When the state money runs dry the entitled will come looking for nourishment. Queeg, hopefully, you won t be dinner(unless you are running behind me. 30 million..that a lot of mouths to feed. Chomp, chomp.

25. us citizen
    us citizen 19 September, 2012, 15:43

Queegy Baby………Ive lived here all my life……..a natural born citizen.

I have seen this state go to hell. When I went to school, we were the tops in academics. I took AP classes. I had to have two years of a foreign language, 4 years of science and math……..just to get into a university. Now they are dumbing down what you need to have to even get into a school. Because we are alllllllll equal…..BS we are.

What………50% dont even graduate HS now. I love to get one of these dimwits when I go shopping. Unless they have pictures on the register, they cant even count change back.

I have seen nice neighborhoods turn to slums. I have seen graffiti makes its way onto everything.

I have seen freedoms and rights taken away. I have to wear protective gear to ride a bike, go skateboarding, pick my nose.

Im taxed for everything now. Taxes on plastic bottles, grocery store bags etc.

My property taxes now have 50 added special bonds or whatever added on to it, because they cant get any money any other way.

I now have to pay for smog checks while I see belching trucks on the highway.

I could go on and on and onnnnnnnnnn.

Actually Im sick of people who think they deserve things in life that dont work for them. Im sick of paying for other people who wont go out and get a job….. Who leach off of the system. Im sick of gangs running wild in LA. Im sick of illegals sneaking in everywhere and expecting the American dream on my dime.

Dont tell me, Im a doomer. Im realistic………libs live in a dream world where idealism runs rampant and reality doesnt exist.

26. Queeg
    Queeg 19 September, 2012, 15:49

Maybe it is time to leave….if your so uncomfortable wth the urbaniztion hickups!

Spare us the gloom and doom….it is sick stuff!

27. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 19 September, 2012, 18:16

I nominate us citizen for post of the month.

us citizen says:

September 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Queegy Baby………Ive lived here all my life……..a natural born citizen.

Im taxed for everything now. Taxes on plastic bottles, grocery store bags etc.

I now have to pay for smog checks while I see belching trucks on the highway.

I could go on and on and onnnnnnnnnn.

28. Queeg
    Queeg 19 September, 2012, 19:13

Yawn

29. BobA
    BobA 19 September, 2012, 20:38

To all:

Queeg is a lowbrow simpleton who has to take his shoes off to count past ten. Ignore him.

30. Queeg
    Queeg 19 September, 2012, 20:44

Ah!

31. Queeg
    Queeg 19 September, 2012, 20:46

11,12,13,14……1,456.

Queeg keeps you fair and balanced!

32. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 September, 2012, 01:12

Teddy-please swith over to your Uhaul sock puppet for a days, anymore queeg comments and I may have to shoot myself in the head to prevent brain damage from your idiot comments 🙂

33. CalWatchdog
    CalWatchdog 20 September, 2012, 06:59

US Citizen – you are exactly the epitome of voters and citizens feeling fed up. This is what leads to citizen uprisings, and why you are seeing so many Tea Party groups, and even Occupiers. Oddly, the Occupiers are right in their frustrations and criticisms, but their solutions are wrong.

I see quiet little business owners knocking on doors in their neighborhoods to talk politics and get people to vote. I see average parents tired of using hushed tones when talking about the problems at their kids’ schools. People are pissed off that they’ve been so manipulated by the PC police. And as you said, find taxes on their tax bills, fees, added assessments, surcharges, and the like — any way to get more out of us.

Change is eminent.
    Katy

34. Ted Steele, Associate Prof.
    Ted Steele, Associate Prof. 20 September, 2012, 07:04

LOL Katy offhandedly predicts an “uprising”! You go girl! Your Fox News career awaits!

35. Queeg
    Queeg 20 September, 2012, 08:27

No riots. No uprise. Too chubby. Docile. Entitled…..whopper anyone?

36. Edward Steele, Chief Investigator
    Edward Steele, Chief Investigator 20 September, 2012, 09:46

Queeg—- You are truly making me laugh this am—- lmao— Whopper anyone???

37. Queeg
    Queeg 20 September, 2012, 12:01

Aim to please knowing Californians’ culinary tastes….

Biggest culinary splash was the 1980’s BIG GULP follow by the surprising Chalupa and the value meal. Lard laden bean burrito with cheese whiz!

Route #99 is the foodie’s trolling grounds!