McClintock: Election will bring pain to CA

Nov. 19, 2012

By Katy Grimes

Abraham Lincoln said that if the voters get their backsides too close to the fire, they’ll just have to sit on the blisters for a while. After the Nov. 6 election, Californians have some very nasty blisters to sit on.

However, after pain, enlightenment usually comes. If not, California pharmacies will be selling out of salve.

A house divided

For a post-election reflection, I spoke with Rep. Tom McClintock, who represents California’s 4th Congressional District. McClintock spent 22 years in the California Legislature, ran for governor during the recall election of former Gov. Gray Davis, and was elected to Congress in 2008. He gets California as well as the national state of being.

“Unions may have won everything in California, but only in the short term,” McClintock said. “In the long term, unions are one step closer to the people in California awakening to the danger.”

That danger is “running out of other people’s money,” as Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher once said.

“A house divided against itself cannot stand,” Lincoln said.

While President Barack Obama was just reelected, those same voters reelected a House Republican majority. McClintock said that exit polls showed that the American people agree with Republicans on nearly all of the issues and ideals. Polls also showed that Obamacare is at an all time low approval rating. “The American people are about to get a college-level education in Obamanomics,” said McClintock. “At the end of the college course, they will be a lot wiser. But the question is, will they wake up and recoil?”

As California goes…

While California’s liberal politics are rampant in the Obama administration, McClintock said he’s always held out hope that California would become a morality play.

Because California Republicans have acted too much like Democrats instead of holding true to ideals, they’ve helped to facilitate a huge net-out migration population — of Republicans. “Much of that is Republicans fleeing the state,” said McClintock.

“I should also warn you of the strange sense of déjà-vu that I have every day on the House floor as I watch the same folly and blunders that wrecked California now being passed with reckless abandon in this Congress,” McClintock told colleagues in 2009.

In that speech, McClintock warned America about California’s debilitating policies, and what was to come:

“To understand how these policies can utterly destroy an economy and bankrupt a government, you have to remember the Golden State in its Golden Age.

“A generation ago, California spent about half what it does today AFTER adjusting for both inflation and population growth.

“And yet, we had the finest highway system in the world and the finest public school system in the country.   California offered a FREE university education to every Californian who wanted one.  We produced water and electricity so cheaply that many communities didn’t bother to measure the stuff.  Our unemployment rate consistently ran well below the national rate and its diversified economy was nearly recession-proof.

“One thing — and one thing only — has changed in those years: public policy.  The political Left gradually gained dominance over California’s government and has imposed a disastrous agenda of radical and retrograde policies that have destroyed the quality of life that Californians once took for granted.”

“Many are leaving for the garden spots of Nevada, Arizona and Texas.”

Republicans did not make the case

Will 2014 be another 2010, where Republicans swept Democrats out of office across the nation? “Having bought the lie again from President Obama, it will be obvious in 2014,” said McClintock. “Particularly after the graduate course in Obamanomics.”

But how does the Republican Party get rid of its own deadwood and leadership?

“Nothing in the state Constitution says that the state has to be governed by idiots. It can change anytime,” he said.

He described many of the state’s Republicans as “self-defeating” and lacking the courage of their convictions. Consequently, liberty and freedom went down in flames this election. McClintock said that this won’t change as long as the American people put up with self-defeating Republicans and socialistic policies. But he anticipates a shift, especially after two more years of Obama’s policies and California’s economic collapse under Gov. Jerry Brown.

“The voters who reelected Obama are those who have been and will be hurt the most by that election,” said McClintock. But it happened because Republicans failed to make their case or effectively present their ideals to those voters, McClintock explained.

“Immigrants come to America for economic freedoms and to get away from an authoritarian economy,” said McClintock. Many of those immigrants are small business owners. They, and all small business people are hanging on by their fingernails. “Small, medium and large businesses” all are making alternative plans and downsizing.

“California is like the shopkeeper who leased out too much space, ordered too much inventory, hired too many people and paid them too much,” he said. “Every month the shopkeeper covers his shortfalls with borrowing and bookkeeping tricks.  Ultimately, he will reach a tipping point where anything he does makes his situation worse.  Borrowing costs are eating him alive and he’s running out of credit.  Raising prices causes his sales to decline.  And there’s only so much discretionary spending he can cut.”

And while he was sounding the warning bell three years ago, McCintock’s warning still rings true, but is even more dire today. “If anything, the collapse of California can at least serve as a morality play for the rest of the nation — unfortunately in the form of a Greek tragedy.”

1. Ted
    Ted 19 November, 2012, 11:07

Ol Tick Tock McClintock is a typical ultra rigjht teabaggy kook. What did he say last week? He loves sequestration except he thinks defense should be bigger! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My God you repubs are riding it right into the tarmac…– Sad.

2. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 19 November, 2012, 13:30

Teddy, what’s a “serious dem”??? 🙂

3. Ted
    Ted 19 November, 2012, 13:38

hmmmmmm….good question Poodle. Maybe it’s a guy who isn’t

0 for 14 ™ !

LOL Oh man it’s easy!

4. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 19 November, 2012, 16:32

LOL..I am 14-1 BABY!

5. Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic 19 November, 2012, 17:06

If the majority of voters are idiots then the inevitable result is idiotic government. I see no prospect for positive change in Crazyfornia or on the national scene. Too many infantile, ignorant, gullible, self destructive voters. Other than that everything is wonderful 🙂

@ Ted,
    You know perfectly well that McClintock is no kook. He’s actually pretty smart and very well informed, especially for someone from the stupid party. Your party on the other hand, is bursting at the seams with real life kooks, flakes, weirdo’s and degenerates. Admit it Ted, you know deep down that America’s experiment in Republican Democracy has degenerated into The Stupid Party vs. The Crazy Party. Why pick sides with a choice like that?

6. Ted Steele, Prosecutor
    Ted Steele, Prosecutor 19 November, 2012, 18:34

LOL once again the poodle tries for a history re write! LOL

Sorry little buddy, until you get ANY prediction correct out here you remain 0 for 14 ™ !

ps– and still no comment about THE most important loss you suffered out here? The failure to predict the cops’ pension rollback lawsuit you were SO certain about?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

7. Ted Steele, Prosecutor
    Ted Steele, Prosecutor 19 November, 2012, 18:36

Dysphoric—- I was almost impressed with Tick Toc McClintock until his love of the tea party came to the fore……….then I realized that he is yet again another gutless far right moron.

8. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 07:53

14-1…It is KILLING you Teddy! 🙂

9. Ted
    Ted 20 November, 2012, 10:24

Killing me Poodle?

Hardly.

I have tracked EVERY single prediction you’ve ever made out here—- lol

0 for 14 ™ !

10. Ted
    Ted 20 November, 2012, 10:27

REMEMBER this Poodle golden oldie??? LOL I do !

10. Rex The Wonder Dog! says:
    August 10, 2012 at 12:37 am
    I’m voting “yes” on 32 and “no” on 30 and our local county sales tax increase.
    Prop 30-the pension sales tax-is DOA. I predict 60% against, 35% for. Landslide loss coming for Clown

LOL God Bless the Poodle! 0 for 14 ™ !

11. BobA
    BobA 20 November, 2012, 10:31

Ted:

Anybody who thinks the US Constitution should be the law of the land is far right to you. Everything you’ve written suggests to me (and I suspect many others as well) that you have a predilection towards totalitarianism: the totalitarian rule of progressives and their party machine.

12. Ted
    Ted 20 November, 2012, 11:01

BobA– You’re a nut.

Exactly what part of the Constitution do you think I oppose? What comment of mine do you base that on?

13. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 11:11

Ted:

LOL…Ted just got a major pawnage! 🙂

I hope he can recover.

14. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 20 November, 2012, 11:12

REMEMBER this Poodle golden oldie??? LOL I do !
    10. Rex The Wonder Dog! says:
    August 10, 2012 at 12:37 am
    I’m voting “yes” on 32 and “no” on 30 and our local county sales tax increase.

:).. that may have been an imposter 🙂

15. BobA
    BobA 20 November, 2012, 16:18

Ted:

Start with the notion of small & limited government. You constantly use the derogatory term “teabaggers” yet you don’t have a clue what the TEA Party stands for nor do you seem interested in what was the genesis of Tea Party to begin with.

TEA party simply stands for “Taxed Enough Already” which is anathema to the liberals agenda. Liberals don’t believe in wealth creation: they believe in wealth redistribution and the instrument of redistribution is the power to tax.

What they fail to understand is the simple idea that you can’t make a poor man rich by making a rich man poor. Let me ask you a question that succinctly makes the point: name when and where has a poor person ever created a job and hired someone?

16. Ted
    Ted 20 November, 2012, 16:31

BobA— The teabaggers have a ton more social views baggage than taxes! Have it your way though! YOU are the reason the repubs are continualy out of power!

17. BobA
    BobA 20 November, 2012, 19:41

Ted:

If you don’t call me a “repubican”, I’ll refrain from calling you a “demonRAT”. There are no republicans or democrats in my household so perish the thought. I’m an active member of my local Tea Party and the topic of social issues never come up for discussion. We talk about constitutional issues and things relate to how the current government is bankrupting the country and running it into the ground. Republicans are as culpable as democrats and therefore not exempted from our ire and contempt.

Where you get that social issues horse manure from is beyond me and anyone I know. You’re entitled to your opinions just as you’re entitled to believe the democrat talking points and eat their manure by the plate full. But you’re not entitled to slather whip cream over their manure and serve to others as humble pie.

18. Ted Steele, Prosecutor
    Ted Steele, Prosecutor 21 November, 2012, 06:47

BobA– you live on the river denial….

You vote republican
    you are Christian- right
    you hold right wing social views
    you fit right in with the tea bag crew…..
    I love the way you try to back peddle out of it once the election is over and you’re called out. I read most of your litmus right posts last year little buddy. It’s ok, admit it……..

19. BobA
    BobA 21 November, 2012, 08:23

Ted:

Insist, assert and proclaim all you want. I know what I am and what I believe. Yes, I do vote republican because their positions on most of the issues that matter the most are closest to my own. I am non-religious and have no use for organized religion. No, I hold mostly libertarian views and conservative views on matters of finance and economics.

There is no clause in the Constitution that gives the government the right to tell me how to spend my money or the right to take it from and give it to another. And there is no clause in the Constitution giving the government the right to engage in social engineering nor adjudicate extra-constitutional issues like morality and so forth.

The election is over. Get over it and move on. The only litmus test I have are those enumerated in the US Constitution. Other than that, who you sleep with or want to marry is none of my business. And what religion your are is none of my business either as long as you don’t try to shove it down my throat, attempt to legislate it into law or conspire to destroy America in the name of religion.

I stand for and believe in liberty and freedom, small & limited government and the pursuit of happiness and profits. You, on the other hand, believe in nothing and stand for nothing other than what is popular and convenient at the time. That is to say, you lack any guiding principles.

Life is about choices. Some are hard and some are easy. Either you stand for something or you will fall for anything. You my friend, seem to have fallen and can’t or won’t get up. That’s the easy choice.

20. Ted
    Ted 21 November, 2012, 13:55

BobA— Just as I thought…Your above post is Exhibit A little buddy!

You are a Republican tea bagger. YOU are exactly what cost Willard Mitt the election, and are the reason that repub’s will stay out of power until they jetison the fear based hate driven tea bag folks. No offense man. I have actually voted for some repubs over the years. But Nowadays, Reagun and Nixon would be Dem’s! Happy Thanksgiving!

21. BobA
    BobA 21 November, 2012, 14:35

Ted:

I’ll give you this much: you’re one persistent bugger aren’t you? It’s all in good fun my friend, It’s all in good fun. Ain’t America great?

Have a happy thanksgiving.

Cheers

22. Ted Steele, Prosecutor
    Ted Steele, Prosecutor 21 November, 2012, 20:40

You too! And– yes, I am only half kidding— and yes America is one great Country!!

To be honest– I wish my party would move a bit closer to the right fiscally!