Teacher unions the enemies of ‘social justice,’ not the champions

Teacher unions the enemies of ‘social justice,’ not the champions

tax-the-rich-300x218

Dec. 14, 2012

By Chris Reed

Here’s the intro to my take for City Journal on the absurdity of the California Federation of Teachers pretending to care about minorities.

“The online premiere last week of the California Federation of Teachers’ short cartoon, ‘Tax the Rich: An Animated Fairy Tale,’ attracted such a torrent of mockery that the state’s second-largest teachers’ union set the video to ‘private’ on its YouTube channel after a few days. [… But the] funniest thing about ‘Tax the Rich’ is that the 120,000-member California Federation of Teachers presents itself as an avatar of social justice. In fact, by working in tandem with the 400,000-member California Teachers Association, the CFT enforces a Sacramento status quo that holds minorities in contempt and elevates teachers’ and unions’ interests above all others.”

Here is the “Tax the Rich” video link.

1. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 14 December, 2012, 08:12

There is a direct correlation with the rise of teacher unions, and teacher power and accountability, and declining test scores and achievement.

2. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 December, 2012, 08:42

Declining test scores and achievment have a direct correlation with the changing demographics–children who speak many languages, other than English; children who are poor and hungry; school kids who live in cars and motels with their unemployed parents. I never thought I would see the day when people who owe their educations to their teachers would be bashing them. Shame, shame, shame!

3. Hondo
    Hondo 14 December, 2012, 10:08

See Saw:
    According to the First lady, the kids in our schools are not hungry but fat beyond belief. She instituted smaller meals to these starving kids. You ought to jump her case.
    And you should be leading the charge to secure our borders from the over immigration of dirt poor people into a high unemployment rate state like Kalifornia.
    You are like the bad farm owners in the book “the grapes of wrath”. They advertized for 5,000 fruit pickers when they only needed 2,000. Then they can break the union, and lower the wages and working conditions. Thats the reason there are so many unemployed parents.
    And there would have to be around several million people living in cars to account for the horrific test scores by your calculation.
    Besides, the teachers unions have made it legally impossible to fire a teacher who molests a child in class. People like you and the firefighters, and police unions lobbied to make sure that violent pedophile teacher kept his pension too.
    The teachers in my day would have set fire to that pedophile teacher.
    Hondo….

4. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 14 December, 2012, 10:34

SeeSaw-

Hondo rightfully pounded you on your inanity on your other points; I’ll take aim on this one:

“I never thought I would see the day when people who owe their educations to their teachers would be bashing them”

“Owe their educations”??? As if without teachers we would all be knuckle-dragging our way around like Lennie in Mice and Men?

My teachers helped, for sure. Some were good, some not so. Probably like yours. But they were only a part of the equation.

Here’s the real test: Walk into any kid’s home. If you see books, magazines, newspapers lying around – that kid probably does well in school.

If all you see is a remote control – chances are that kid doesn’t. Irrespective of teachers.

5. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 14 December, 2012, 12:29

See Saw:

Hhahahahhaa….seesaw gets owned again!

SeeSaw-

OMG, owned TWICE wihtin 3 hours!!!!

seesaw, do you need my assictance to lift you up off the ground, b/c you just took a pounding!

6. stevefromsacto
    stevefromsacto 14 December, 2012, 17:31

Oh wow, minorities need to rely on the California Republican Party, the Tea Party and the Minutemen, right?

And it amazes me how you Lapdog devotees are willing to heap scorn on teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc., just because they join unions to stand up for their rights. We used to respect people in these professions until the Rabid Right started trying to Wal-Mart all workers.

7. us citizen
    us citizen 14 December, 2012, 18:12

Unions were good at a time, they are now a scourge on society. Class rooms are dumber because we are infiltrated with illegals. Parents dont take responsibility for their kids anymore. They pan them off on others. The basics arent taught, but boy social justice is…….which is a bunch of BS.

8. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 December, 2012, 18:27

Hondo, Obesity is not just a problem with kids. It is a nation-wide problem with all ages. The Frst Lady is right. One problem at a time. She is a wonderful First Lady, who needs no advice from me–or you.

The area in which I live is heavy with children who do not speak English–thus the reason for the low test scores that have been inching up recently. And our high school has many attendees who are homeless and live in cars and motels with their parents. The other students hold fundraisers for their homeless classmates.

Why should I feel bad, Rex? Because I got bashed by two of your idiot friends? Not on your life. I am walking quite straight, thank you. If seeing another poster chew me out is all you need to make your entertainment, you have a very sad life. I wasn’t even in town for most of the day, so the slings and arrows didn’t even reach me, until now–you have probably gone beddy-bye already.

9. Skippingdog
    Skippingdog 14 December, 2012, 19:11

Correlation is not causation. Repeat that phrase until you understand it.

10. Rex the Wonder Dog!
    Rex the Wonder Dog! 14 December, 2012, 19:34

us citizen says:

Unions were good at a time,
    ==

Pub;lic unions were NEVER good.

11. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 14 December, 2012, 20:18

You just got your ass kicked on Prop. 32, Rex, so evidently more people disagree, than agree, with you. Let’s move on!