MetLife: And another CA company bites the dust

Welcome to North Carolina sign - FlickrMarch 8, 2013

By John Seiler

California’s high-tax, excessive regulation climate has killed another state business and the jobs that go with it:

“Insurance giant Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. said Thursday it will move 2,600 jobs from offices in five eastern states and California to lower-cost locations in two North Carolina cities, while also getting tax breaks and other incentives that could reach $100 million.

“The insurer is shifting the jobs from Aliso Viejo and Irvine in California, and from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Rhode Island, MetLife spokesman John Calagna said. The positions will be consolidated in Charlotte, which will become the U.S. headquarters for MetLife’s retail business, and at a global technology and operations hub in the Raleigh suburb of Cary. The company’s retail segment sells and services life, disability, auto and other insurance.”

The other exodus states also are high-cost, high-tax, high-regulation, union-dominated states — but with worse weather than Taxifornia.

“The new jobs, paying average salaries of nearly $82,000 a year, would include product management, marketing, sales and customer support in Charlotte and information technology positions in Cary. The company had about 140 workers in Charlotte before Thursday’s announcement.”

Those high-paying, middle-class jobs will no longer be in California. And the people holding those jobs no longer will be paying income, sales, property and other taxes here.

1. stolson
    stolson 8 March, 2013, 10:10

Jerry Brown could care less. Only union jobs are priority to him.

2. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 8 March, 2013, 10:45

MetLife should be banned from doing any business in California now! Also heavy fines should be imposed upon the MetLife company. They are just a bunch of GREEDY FAT PIGS that only care about maximizing profits and screw the people!!!!

3. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 8 March, 2013, 10:46

stolson says:
    Jerry Brown could care less. Only union jobs are priority to him.
    ================
    GOOD!!!!

4. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 8 March, 2013, 10:47

“Insurance giant Metropolitan Life Insurance Co” = Greedy corporate SLOBS!!

5. Rob Morse
    Rob Morse 8 March, 2013, 10:57

Elections have consequences. California hates business, so business goes where it is wanted. There are people in other states who want to work.

6. Dan
    Dan 8 March, 2013, 11:13

you folks need to get a grip. companys are in it to make money. You should be looking at the State of California…I live here too, its sad you elected Govern Moonbeam….Many more Companys will join Metlife or already have… California is a job killing state period.

7. Tax Target
    Tax Target 8 March, 2013, 11:21

Hey NTHEOC..,Great slogans…you keep deluding yourself into thinking that this socialist BS works…

One day you will wake up to a bankrupt state… Good luck with that.. I suspect this is the hopie/changie crap you’re looking for…

8. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 8 March, 2013, 11:26

NTHEOC, I expect there are many looking forwrd to a move to Charlotte from the six states. It does not sound like you would. Charlotte is very nice.

9. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 8 March, 2013, 11:43

TaxTarget says,
    One day you will wake up to a bankrupt state…
    ——————————–
    One day you will wake up and stop drinking the cool aid they serve at your local tea party meeting!!!!! And how good is Capitalism working out for us!!!

10. us citizen
    us citizen 8 March, 2013, 11:45

Obviously NTHEOC has never owned a business. The very meaning of owning a business is to make a profit. Why would you even bother if you werent? This does not mean you are a pig. It means you take the correct steps to keep it going in a state that is against you. So, NTHEOC it does seem that you are highly uninformed and terribly stupid about knowing what works and what doesnt. Just keep drinking the koolaid, buddy. It will eventually end up killing this whole state and hopefully take thinkers like you with it.

11. SD Elect
    SD Elect 8 March, 2013, 11:49

couldn’t be that the unions are GREEDY,SELFISH,and could care less about the state, just as long as they get there pay and benefits ……..to hell with the tax payers………………give me ,give me give me.

12. tax target
    tax target 8 March, 2013, 11:52

@NTHEOC… working out just fine… apparently being a loser you’re looking for some company. The rest of us have decided not to play and are willing to cede Kalifornsky to you… keep it – enjoy it. Its going belly up!

13. Barb
    Barb 8 March, 2013, 12:14

Congratulations to the state of North Carolina! This will be a good move for the company considering they posted some losses in their fourth quarter! May they grow and prosper! Capitalism baby!

14. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 8 March, 2013, 12:20

I believe in capitalism, Barb, just like you. I just heard on a national progam this morning, about how great the corporations are doing. Maybe its about time they started to upgrade the economic statuses of their, respective, workforces to bring them up to the standards, “enjoyed”, by the public sector. I certainly hope that JB supports union jobs. The more money in the hands of all workers, the better the economy and more support for all those businesses. I hear NC is beautiful and hope it is enjoyed by all who settle there. I am perfectly happy to stay here and enjoy my little piece of CA!

15. Excalifornian
    Excalifornian 8 March, 2013, 12:25

Welcome Met Life to NC! I saw another California license plate here in Raleigh today. Although you can’t beat the weather in the Union’s Republic of California you will find a welcoming attitude here in the New South! We are open for business!!!

16. Excalifornian
    Excalifornian 8 March, 2013, 12:42

I quote from the LA Times article linked above:

“The strong business climate, access to universities and colleges and the desirable cost of living in North Carolina were significant factors in choosing to establish these new campuses in Cary and Charlotte,” MetLife executive vice president Eric Steigerwalt said.”

I wonder if the brain trust in California government could chew on that for more than a millisecond.

17. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 8 March, 2013, 12:49

NTHEOC and Seesaw…..always good for laffs.

NTHEOC, the last of the original Wobblies. And Seesaw, our very own Emily Litella incarnate, who wouldn’t know “capitalism” if it bit her in the …..

Tell you what, you two. Let’s make ALL jobs UNION jobs. Or better yet – let’s make ALL jobs GOVERNMENT jobs. More is better, right? I bet that turns out swell. I wonder if that’s ever been tried bef…….

Ohh………. never mind.

18. GoneFishing
    GoneFishing 8 March, 2013, 12:58

As a native Californian, I can only say that I’m embarrassed to be one. To all you California dweebs out there, that believe “corporation” is a dirty word, that profits are evil and actually believe you’re not paying enough taxes, I have no sympathy for you. I’ve never seen so large a concentration of naive, anti-Americans, as exist in California. You’ll be the harbingers of your own demise in corruption and bankruptcy…with the help of your beloved mafia unions. You brought it upon yourselves.

19. us citizen
    us citizen 8 March, 2013, 13:05

Good grief Jimmydeeoc……..dont give them anymore insane ideas! 🙂

20. Barb
    Barb 8 March, 2013, 13:05

Glad you agree that an economic system such as Capitalism is what drives this economy based on blood, sweat, and tears, of the productive. It is the productive who pay for all those government hand-outs! The government does not, in fact, produce anything! If you have less government taking (ie taxes, fees, regulations, etc.)from the private sector you will, indeed, have more money in the hands of the workers since more jobs would be created!

Yes, the employees will in fact enjoy an upgrade to their economic status since the cost of living standard in Charlotte, NC will afford them more bang for their buck!

By the way, did you hear about that young man who walked 10 miles for a job interview since he had no money for bus fare? His mom died and was left to his own devices. Instead of relying on Government assistance, he felt the best way to support himself and earn valuable work experience was to find a job in any way he could. In the end, he felt this would take him much farther and help him to learn valuable lessons. He did ultimately find a job busing tables with someone who saw potential in him. While it is just for starters, he is working hard towards achieving great strides in making something of himself. And no, he is not expecting anymore than that. He knows he must rely on himself to do that not the government. I must say his mom taught him well!

21. loufca
    loufca 8 March, 2013, 13:38

Hey NTHEOC, you’d better stop eating at Carl’s Jr. and several other companies that have left our state. You really don’t understand a cause and effect relationship of taxes (don’t worry, neither does Jerry Brown, Steinberg, et. al.). Try Econ 101 at your local community college, it may help reduce your deficency of knowledge.

22. Dirtbos
    Dirtbos 8 March, 2013, 14:40

“The young man who walked 10 miles….)”. Sadly the majority in this state would not walk 10 feet for a job. Welfare and other government assistance pays to well. All they need to do is to keep having children. The father may live in the home, but the state does not know it. That would interfere will those assistance payments. As I have stated on this forum many times, the impending financial meltdown of California is coming, and soon.

23. tax target
    tax target 8 March, 2013, 15:56

Just thought I’d prognosticate a bit…. I wonder when Moonbeamsky will come up with the idea of printing Moonbeam Money, C-notes, etc. NTHEOC I’m sure would grab up all he could because they’d have the full faith and backing of the Central Politburo in Sacramentzky.. that work for you comrade NTHEOC?

24. Hondo
    Hondo 8 March, 2013, 16:10

Kalifornia, the greatest place on earth to be unemployed.
    Hondo…..

25. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 8 March, 2013, 17:09

Tax target says,
    that work for you comrade NTHEOC?
    ======================
    HAH! What’s wrong my little teabagger? You still bitter that the majority of Californians and US citizens agree with me more.(Jerry Brown,Obama)!! And yes, I am one of those Public safety union people you hate so much!!

26. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 8 March, 2013, 17:15

loufca says:
    Hey NTHEOC, you’d better stop eating at Carl’s Jr.
    ==================
    I never ate there in the first place!! If i’m going to eat fast food, only In and Out for me! Carl’s junior is no differen’t than most large food corporations, They poison and put cancer causing ingredients in the food.All in the name of PROFIT!!! Besides the food Those carl’s junior adds are enough to make anyone sick also. So I mostly eat non GMO food and organic!

27. Donkey
    Donkey 8 March, 2013, 18:27

Ntheoc, once interest rates start to rise all the cities in Cali will be going belly-up, the days are numbered for the RAGWUS feeder. 🙂

28. Wheres my tini at
    Wheres my tini at 9 March, 2013, 02:35

@NTHEOC:

I live in Texas — Capitalism is working GREAT for me! When you get a clue, you’re welcome to move here.

29. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 9 March, 2013, 09:22

Wheres my tini at says:
    @NTHEOC:
    =====================
    Texas!! Been through there once,and “ONCE” was enough for me!!! No thank you tini,I’m perfectly happy down here in ORANGE COUNTY CALIFORNIA!!! But I am surrounded here by teabagging republicans!!

30. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 9 March, 2013, 12:58

“Texas!! Been through there once,and “ONCE” was enough for me!!!”
    ==================
    Nothing like the sneering condescension of coastal Californians. Though to be fair, you get the same nonsense from out-of-staters who bray about “them queers” and “fruits and nuts”.

But did you have to go juvenile, NTHEOC?

“……teabagging republicans!!
    =================

The only person who hasn’t a clue re: “teabagging” is Seesaw. But I am sure you’re well regarded among the “14-year old male” set.

Stay classy.

31. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 9 March, 2013, 14:39

Don’t know why you would include me in any conversation regrading “teabagging”, Jimmy. I am not of any ilk regarding the Tea party or the practice. I have more clues than you, who has nothing in your own head but a tunnel-vision, ideology.

32. NTHEOC
    NTHEOC 9 March, 2013, 14:54

Jimmydeeoc,
    Teabagger or tea bagging is just a nickname for the Tea Party. Get a sense of humor!!

33. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 9 March, 2013, 20:41

Seesaw – Look up “teabagging”.

Here..need help?

NTHEOC – I’ll develop a sense of humor when you wipe that snarky look of a 15 year old off your face. (The same look as our juvenile President Zero had when he addresses it.) Deal?

Forget Republicans. Can you imagine Truman talking about teabagging? LBJ? Carter even? Criminy — even Clinton would have at least kept a straight face.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m hardly a prude. I was aware of the practice long before there was such a thing as a Tea Party.

Which is why I get annoyed when “adults” start snickering (The High Priestess of Snarkiness, Rachel Maddow, comes to mind), as if they just found Daddy’s stash of Penthouse. Grow up.

34. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 9 March, 2013, 20:50

See…it’s like this….

Assume Truman, LBJ, Carter, etc were previously UNINFORMED. Then some aide whispers “Uhhh……Mr President……there’s this “alternative” meaning…..let me tell you what it is.”

Any responsible adult politician would have cut usage of the phrase right there.

And this all would have be true if in the same scenario someone mentioned it to Reasoner, or Huntley, or Cronkite.

But we don’t have an adult politician in the White House. Nor do we have adults in the media.

35. SeeSaw
    SeeSaw 10 March, 2013, 13:52

I need no help–therefore no need to click on your link, Jimmy.