Ax the whole state ed bureaucracy

John Seiler

Jerry Brown wants to get rid of the education secretary position, a pointless position created by Gov. Pete Wilson (talk about pointless).

A better idea: Get rid of the whole centralized, massive, wasteful state education bureaucracy. Turn everything over to the local school districts. Let them decide everything.

How can a centralized regime possibly decide anything for 37 million Californians?

(Note: For some reason, the link to the news story about this is missing.)

Nov. 10, 2010

No comments

1. S. Perry
    S. Perry 10 November, 2010, 19:39

Local school districts can raise the money necessary to be self-sufficient because of Prop. 13.

2. S. Perry
    S. Perry 10 November, 2010, 19:42

Ahem, *can’t

3. John Seiler
    John Seiler 11 November, 2010, 08:42

S. Perry: I mean, just funnel the state money to the local districts. But get rid of the vast state bureaucracy — all of it.

4. S. Perry
    S. Perry 12 November, 2010, 01:28

Well, I wouldn’t say get rid of it completely but I’d a substantial reduction could be possible and should be considered. Somebody’s gotta hold the funnels at least, right?

5. Eric in Santa Rosa
    Eric in Santa Rosa 13 November, 2010, 21:27

Can I ask if the “education secretary” position is the same thing as the state Superintendent of Public Instruction? If so, abolishing the position would be a good start, as it seems like the California Teachers Association (which must be ROLLING in greenbacks judging by all the radio ads they bought on Hot Talk 560 KSFO before the election) controls the Superintendent of Public Instruction like a marionette. We should also consider consolidating tiny school districts, each with their own administrative bureaucracies, into fewer, larger ones, along with, as you said, getting rid of the enormous state education bureaucracy. This would maintain local control while trimming administrative overhead further. And I’d go a step further: Prop 98, passed in about 1990, locked in half the state budget for this very education bureaucracy. Repeal Prop 98.

6. Eric in Santa Rosa
    Eric in Santa Rosa 13 November, 2010, 21:37

The idea of consolidating school districts nearly anywhere in southern California is probably ludicrous, but I am referring to the *forty* existing separate school districts just within Sonoma County, which has a total population of less than 500,000. That’s a whopping amount of administrative overhead. We also have paid adult crossing guards (I don’t believe they’re volunteers). When I went to grade school in metro St. Louis back in the ’70s, the highest-achieving sixth-graders served as crossing guards, and it was fine! More money saved. It was a real honor for me to serve on my school safety patrol when I was in sixth grade.

Obama come and Belafonte want concentration camps

Dec. 13, 2012 By John Seiler I’ve liked Harry Belafonte over the years, especially his music. Now here’s how he

Vidak: ‘Let the people re-vote on High-Speed Rail’

SACRAMENTO — Newly elected Sen. Andy Vidak, R-Hanford, has authored a set of amendments to an existing Assembly bill to allow Californians

San Diego County’s odd pension saga ends

The San Diego County government has long held itself in high regard, boasting of its fiscal reserves, reasonable labor contracts