Jobs train 3:10 to Yuma

Sept. 10, 2012

By John Seiler

Yesterday Katy Grimes put up a blog, “Editorial cheerleads for Brown.” One of the comments read:

“I already did move to Arizona (Yuma) to escape CA’s taxes and high costs. Guess what, not only are the taxes and just about every other budget category cheaper, but the government is friendly and efficient at all levels. County and state employees, from clerk up to elected official, treat citizens with respect, take your calls, and actually HELP you get information.

“Labor is cheaper, which I expected, but workers also are more dependable and respectful. (OK, a high local unemployment rate is a factor).

“In San Diego I started a business, worked up to 10 employees, then sold it after a few years at a profit, which was always the objective. I learned early on that the State was determined to be my enemy, and the local government officials were not much better. At every turn they worked to thwart me, confuse me, and raise my costs. In AZ, the minor hiring I have done has been far different.”

It reminded me of those two movies called “3:10 to Yuma.” The one from 2007, starring Christian Bale and Russell Crowe, was pretty good. It had to be featuring Batman and Gladiator. But the one from 1957, starring Glenn Ford and Van Heflen, actually was better. It had that late-1950s existentialist Western angst, like “Bad Day at Black Rock” and my favorite movie, “The Searchers.

Anyway, why any business other than a Silicon Valley high-tech firm would stay in California is a mystery. Many more will be taking the 3:10 to Yuma.

1. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 10 September, 2012, 13:26

When I had a long time small business in Calif…there was no way on any given day my practical cost/ effective decisions possibly violated Calif regulations.

900 -1000 new bills presented for a govenor’s decision each year….deeper into the regulations morass!

Being retired and forecasting the future….the Illinois model should be your guide. A really corrupt state for many generations….we have a long way to go in Calif.

2. Hondo
    Hondo 10 September, 2012, 17:42

The Joad’s from the ‘Grapes of Wrath’ are headed the other way now. Members of my family came here that way. They can’t afford to leave now. Not till the bull dozers show up to doze the empty, and foreclosed houses.
    Hondo…..

3. Ulysses Uhaul
    Ulysses Uhaul 10 September, 2012, 21:36

Any time is the time to:

PACK AND SHIP

4. Bob
    Bob 10 September, 2012, 23:54

Pretty much sums it up…

5. Barb
    Barb 11 September, 2012, 08:21

Manufacturing Jobs are relocating to China. Why? Cheaper labor!

2. California
    > Pct. jobs lost: 2.87%
    > Unemployment rate: 10.7% (3rd highest)
    > GDP growth: 2% (11th highest)

Four of the five congressional districts (of the 435 examined) with the most jobs lost are based in the bay area of California, home to many of America’s largest technology corporations. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, executives of California companies point to “strict environmental regulations and high taxes and labor costs” as barriers for bringing jobs back to the U.S. This comes at a time when the economy of America’s most populous state is struggling — the 10.7% unemployment rate in California was the third highest in the country in July. Between 2008 and 2011, California’s GDP has declined by $20.75 billion, far larger than any other state.

Read more: States Losing the Most Jobs to China – 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2012/09/10/states-losing-the-most-jobs-to-china-2/#ixzz26AuGDXjE

6. econprof
    econprof 11 September, 2012, 08:26

Thanks Kathy for quoting my comment about our move to Yuma. You and others here at CalWatchdog have helped me make this big decision. I still maintain a “vacation home” in San Diego, and fully expect to be challenged by the Franchise Tax Board about my legal residency. The FTB is notoriously aggressive with taxpayers who move to Nevada, AZ, or elsewhere but still maintain ties, such as real estate, in CA.
    You really have to make the move genuine. In our case that means registration for cars, voting, taxes, memberships, insurance, “community attachments”, and over–preferrably well over–50% of your days, which we are ready to prove up with a daily log and daily receipts. We are ready for the fight!
    If one of November’s tax hikes go through, the exodus to Yuma and other destinations will accelerate.