Gov. Brown is pushing ‘social justice’

High School Graduation rate, Cagle, May 1, 2013May 3, 2013

By B. Wayne Hughes Jr.

The Social Justice movement that seems to be everywhere, if only in theory, has broken through the veil of being but a notion, and spread its way into the real world.

Recently in California, my home state, Gov. Jerry Brown’s bid to overhaul the state’s educational budget is the latest taste of what is to come with the social justice worldview. “This is a cause,” the governor of the largest state is quoted as saying.

By directing a disproportionate share of budgeted monies to serve lower-income and non-English speaking students, his “cause,” so to speak, will be shorting the districts and their children that do not reflect his idea of the favored demographic. “If they’re going to fight it, they’re going to get the battle of their lives,” he promised.

The social justice movement is based upon an alleged collective compassion for the poor, or less rich, depending on how much of social justice you’ve imbibed.  Certainly compassion is a good thing, but politicians stripping one group to redistribute to another is not.  This is what is being imposed upon California schools and students, leveraging one child’s educational needs against another’s.

Social justice, as it is now defined, furthers the belief that we are an unjust society in need of targeted redistribution and taxation.  That we must “conform” to these fashionable expectations. That we are now a collective team, and no longer individual sovereign selves.  That our generosity and compassion should be linked, fused and welded into redistribution, standardized definitions and communal expectations.

While I clearly understand the challenge of educating those that have less means, language barriers or lack of family infrastructure, I reject the notion that justice, in this case involving “resource redistribution,” must be administered unequally in our educational system.  Only in the new paradigm do we see “injustice” as the cure to restoring “justice.”

Although I am not a lawyer, I do know that justice consists of fairness and equality. That justice is, or should be, blind to the defendant and plaintiff, the litigant and the suspect.  “Inequality” is not necessarily unjust, socially or otherwise, and does not mandate redistribution by force of new taxes, or unequal applications, to change it. What inequality can do, however, is ring the bell to get your favored group protected under the umbrella of the “socially just,” and therefore on the right side of justice.

The social justice crowd, Brown included, would have us believe that we are a winner-take-all society; that wealth, fortune and success are zero sum games.  Something is unjust because it does not have a built-in category for “what I want,” and that we should have no distinctions among groups or individuals.

Civil rights

Brown went on to say, “Equal treatment for children in unequal situations is not justice … it’s  a matter of civil rights.” In other words, the only way to act justly is to treat California’s school children unequally. If a child is from a middle class family, or her first language is English, she must be discriminated against, so the governor’s logic goes.

Social justice and redistribution is what is in store for our students once the monies are divided up.  Performance metrics, school choice and community service will continue to be ignored as out-of-date, objectionable and quite simply, “unjust.”

The better questions for our families and relations are, “Why isn’t the Governor fighting like this for my child? Where is his commitment to my community?  Am I too middle class, too fluent in English, or too favored by ‘chance’ to garner his support?”

As Nobel economics laureate Friedrich Hayek pointed out, “Outcomes need to be arranged, and in such a way as to be pleasing to our prejudices.” I remember my 6th grade “new math” class, back in the early 1970s, where we were taught about “groups, sets, subgroups and subsets.” I barely understood those concepts at the time. Forty years later, I understand their application all too well.

B. Wayne Hughes Jr. is a California businessman and philanthropist.

1. Ted Steele, Navigator
    Ted Steele, Navigator 3 May, 2013, 12:45

We don’t need no stinkin social whatever.

2. Lou Sylvestri
    Lou Sylvestri 3 May, 2013, 13:38

Si Ted

3. Ted Steele, Navigator
    Ted Steele, Navigator 3 May, 2013, 14:13

Thanks Lou– I mean the notion of justice in a social context– yikes– sounds socialist to me.

4. SkippingDog
    SkippingDog 3 May, 2013, 15:19

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.”

– Jesus

5. stolson
    stolson 3 May, 2013, 15:34

re—Social justice and redistribution is what is in store for our students once the monies are divided up. Performance metrics, school choice and community service will continue to be ignored as out-of-date, objectionable and quite simply, “unjust.”

The better questions for our families and relations are, “Why isn’t the Governor fighting like this for my child? Where is his commitment to my community? Am I too middle class, too fluent in English, or too favored by ‘chance’ to garner his support?”

.ANSWER.YES. The UN and NWO intends to turn the once successful USA into a third world country by eliminating the caucasian middle classes. It won’t work as the others pay few if any taxes–and there is the rub. But they are so bent on getting even and redistribution–they can’t see this.

6. Sean Morham
    Sean Morham 3 May, 2013, 15:50

7. Queeg
    Queeg 3 May, 2013, 22:19

Your in for a long hard beating by true believers in Utopia!

8. Ted Steele, Janitor
    Ted Steele, Janitor 4 May, 2013, 06:44

Skip Dog— This is America. We’re not really THAT into Jesus here man. We just like to pretend we are.

9. Queeg
    Queeg 4 May, 2013, 09:25

Someone sitting on couch eating gourmet potatoe chips with hud housing credits, food stamps, welfare debit card, free public schools, free no deductible health insurance, eye, dental care, free cell phone, subsidized utilities, the community charity circuit run on Saturdays………….where is your social justice loons beating your brains out commuting to work…..saps!

10. Tom in SoCal
    Tom in SoCal 4 May, 2013, 12:26

Eerily similar to Atlas Shrugged.

11. Ted Steele, Janitor
    Ted Steele, Janitor 4 May, 2013, 21:52

I love your Dan Quayle spelling on Potatoe! Nice touch.

12. BobA
    BobA 5 May, 2013, 09:32

stolson:

It’s worse than you think. Those entities wants nothing less than the end of the U.S. constitution and the dissolution of the United State as a country. Our liberties and freedoms are a bane to most other countries in the world who seek to curtail liberty and freedom amongst their own people. The only way that can happen is if there is no such place as America.

Before the United States came into being the world consisted of monarchies and dictatorship where tyranny, oppression and enslavement was the natural order of things. A world where you were either part of the hereditary ruling class, a subject of the ruling class or a slave to the ruling class.

The idea of liberty and freedom has run its course and now the the world seeks to return to its natural order of human history. That can only happen if the last defender of liberty and freedom and the rule of law no longer exists.

America is a great country but it’s people have fallen for the false allure and security of totalitarian control. Once freedom and liberty is lost in America, it will be lost everywhere else in the world and once it is lost, there will be no getting it back.

13. jimmydeeoc
    jimmydeeoc 5 May, 2013, 10:36

Not exactly on point, but close enough…….

From the LA Times.
    —————
    SACRAMENTO — California has been flooded with revenue this tax season and is on track to finish the fiscal year with a surplus of billions of dollars, according to officials.

State coffers contain about $4.5 billion more than expected in personal income tax payments.
    —————

Does anyone really expect this is representative of a trend? Of curse not…..all these ups and downs are mostly Creative Accounting at play. Not even Brown:

————–

But Brown has already cautioned that there may not be much cash to spread around after education funding requirements are met.

“Depending upon how the money flows, it may not be as available as many people are now thinking,” he said recently.

—————-

But wait! I forgot to mention the Delusional Democrats in the Legislature:

Assemblyman Robert Blumenfield (D-Woodland Hills) said he’s thrilled about the state’s budget surplus. “We’re not framing the debate around what to cut,” he said. “We’re making choices about what kind of investments we want to make.”

The excitable young Mr Blumenfield:

Story:

14. Ted Steele, Janitor
    Ted Steele, Janitor 5 May, 2013, 20:10

LOL Oh God Bobo—- You are pure 100% Beck Doomsday!

God Bless ya little buddy!!!

15. Queeg
    Queeg 5 May, 2013, 22:20

Gourmett potatoe chips always please in the underground economy!

16. Right to worker
    Right to worker 6 May, 2013, 09:02

And the devil, taking him up into a high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whosoever (union) I will give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me (and take the union card), all shall be thine.

-Satan

17. BobA
    BobA 6 May, 2013, 09:26

No Ted:

Experience has taught me to assume the worst and hope for the best. America is creeping towards totalitarianism in a way that is so subtle that most people don’t even notice it nor recognize it for what it is.

Nanny Bloomberg in New York is leading the way and to many people are rationalizing his usurpation of individual liberties and freedoms and wants to spread it across America and that is just the beginning.

I’m just being expeditious and calling it for what it is. There can be only one conclusion to the soft tyranny of political correctness and the nanny state: totalitarianism.

BTW: I still think you’re not as ditsy as you make yourself out to be. You just enjoy getting a good laugh by riling people up.

18. Ted Steele, Navigator
    Ted Steele, Navigator 6 May, 2013, 09:46

Thanks for the BTW Bobo– But you’re wasting ink here little buddy. I couldn’t care less than I do about what extreme right fascists think about me, I just don’t.

Assume the worst and hope for the best? That’s just about THE definition of synical, which, in essence, is a mental disorder amigo.

19. Bunker Queen
    Bunker Queen 6 May, 2013, 11:08

synical? Really TEDSZLY……..CWD Party Foul!

But the mental illness part….got to give the TEDZ his due…..he is fully qualified to discuss mental illness in all its permutations.

20. BobA
    BobA 6 May, 2013, 12:19

Ted:

I don’t waste ink. I write what I think and if you disagree then that’s your problem.

BTW:

You sound like a person who would jump out of an airplane without a parachute thinking you will just bounce when you hit the ground. Try it some time and let us know how that went.

21. Ted Steele, Navigator
    Ted Steele, Navigator 6 May, 2013, 14:34

Good one Bobo ! You’re a caution little buddy!

22. Bunker Queen
    Bunker Queen 6 May, 2013, 17:21

Beverly Hofstadter: Oh, that’s nothing. I’ve been responsible for my own orgasms since 1982.

Penny: Yikes.

[Beverly snickers]

Penny: OK, what’s so funny?

Beverly Hofstadter: That’s exactly what I say during orgasms. Yikes.

Yikes!

23. BobA
    BobA 6 May, 2013, 17:29

Ted:

Your use of the term “little buddy” is a cliche that is rather tired, irritating and a bit patronizing but I’ll be the bigger person and not hold that peculiar idiosyncrasy of yours against you.

Now back in the basement you go until the next time I decide to converse directly with you again.

24. BobA
    BobA 6 May, 2013, 17:32

Bunker Queen:

“Is the reason your such a government crotch sniffer because you’re having some difficulty in the old bedroom there TEDz?”

No. He ran out of cleanex and paper towels chaps his skin!!

25. Ted Steele, Janitor
    Ted Steele, Janitor 7 May, 2013, 07:07

Bobo,

LOL Ok little buddy! Take her easy chief, you’ll be ok. And try to stay on the thread– this one’s about social justice. Please see my post, well heck, it’s #1 on this thread!!

May the magic Jesus bless ya!

26. BobA
    BobA 7 May, 2013, 08:55

Ted:

What ever you say “little buddy”. I’m in a rather jovial mode today so I’m not picking on you this time. Ain’t America great!!!

27. Ted Steele, Navigator
    Ted Steele, Navigator 7 May, 2013, 11:01

America IS great little Bobo– we can all agree on that!